• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked Turkey stock

NewYorkTexan

I just made about 7 quarts of wonderful turkey stock from the carcass of a large smoked turkey (compliments of Greenburg Farms).

There is a excellent smokiness in this stock, making me think I should make soup with it. The question is what kind of soup would compliment richness of the stock? I am open to any kind of soup except cream based ones?

I just made about 7 quarts of wonderful turkey stock from the carcass of a large smoked turkey (compliments of Greenburg Farms). 

There is a excellent smokiness in this stock, making me think I should make soup with it.  The question is what kind of soup would compliment richness of the stock?  I am open to any kind of soup except cream based ones?

Mmmmm... you're all set for one of my favorite soups. Lots of beans and legumes - whatever you like. If you have any meat leftover throw that in too. Then add some carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms and enjoy.

Wild rice also works well with smoked turkey...

Jason beat me to the split pea reply. What I have done in the past with a pile of smoked poultry bones is to make a stock and reduce it by four. Then I freeze the reduction in 4 ounce jars. (Please note that I don't use the dark smoked skin when making the stock. That is a bit much.) A bit of that stock does wonders for braised cabbage. It is also really good in any pot of beans. Smoked poultry stock is a treasure when used judiciously.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 1 year later...

I am in the midst of making smoked turkey stock that will ultimately go into the jambalaya that I am making for my wedding reception (semi-self-catered).

I'm getting ready to use the pressure cooker method to make the stock, but I'm curious what I should add for herbs and spices to the pc aside from my aromatics.

What goes especially well in smoked turkey stock?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Given the fact that you're making it for a specific use, I'd either use some of the herbs and spices you'll use in the jambalaya or just leave it plain.

Hmm... things didn't shake out quite as I'd hoped for making it. My pressure cooker can't hold 2 big turkeys worth of bones!

Anyway, here is what batch 1 has: sage, rosemary, garlic, a bay leaf, and 10-20 peppercorns, as well as aromatics and ~1.5 teaspoons of salt. It's pressuring right now, so we'll see how it turns out!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.