• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food at Parades

Mayhaw Man

Well, so far this season I have been to a great small parade in Abita Springs, a really bad, bad, suburban parade in Covington (it was awful, but the party I went to was great and had a fabulous spread of cocktail fare), and now am looking forward to Chaos, Muses, Krewe D'Etat, Tucks and Iris, Bacchus, Orpheus, Zulu, and then some wild indians (yes, I will do all of these things in the next week).

THe parade in Abita was fun, and has gotten bigger over the years. ANybody can join, as long as they play along with the theme. A remarkable number of Carnival hipsters now cross the lake and enjoy a day on the Northshore the week before Mardi Gras. It's fun. Lots of boiled crawfish and live music were available for the revelers after the parade. This year's theme was "What's that Smell?". My krewe looked like this

gallery_10237_210_804201.jpg

The salmon roe is my son Miles and the BBQ'd eel is my son Graham. My wife Robin made these costumes (and a bunch more) for next week, but they are serving double duty by ourfitting kids this weekend. We will all be sushi on Mardi Gras day-except better outfitted than this motley krewe.

Last night was a bad suburban parade but a great feast at a house on the route. Lots of grilled meats, salads, some awesome pecan shortbread pie like dish that I am now on the hunt for the recipe, cheeses, pepper jellies of various sorts, lots of drinks and good coffee. No pizza or Popeyes to be seen anywhere (not that I don't like that, I'm just saying....)

As we go into the week we will be spending our evenings on Napoleon Ave. out in front of St Stephen's Church, neutral ground side, watching parades. I love a parade. Because we usually have lots of children in tow, we bring lots of food-they can run you broke quick buying from the Nuns vending beer, soft drinks and baked goods. And while there is a tangible pleasure in buying beer from a nun who is willing to give you a hard time for just buying one beer :wink: , at 2 bucks a can, for 5 or six days, this gets kinda pricey. We have a bunch of friends and pack lots of food that is good for travel. Small crawfish pies are a tradition, along with bread and pastries from Boulangerie around the corner on Magazine-the bread is often covered with headcheese that my dad makes around Christmas (yes, all of my children love the stuff) or some kind of BBQ meat brough with us to the parade. Many of our friends that we have known for years (we used to live down the block) will invite us in for spreads and the whole thing works out great. Night after night. It's tough work but I love it.

What do you bring to parades? Or do you just depend on the "kindness of strangers?"

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Shrimp po-boys from Praline Connection on Frenchmen...oh wait, that only works for Krewe du Vieux. What a perfect weekend to come to New Orleans; one parade with a killer after-party, and still plenty of hotel rooms and restaurant tables available.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

Eating? People eat during Mardi Gras? I thought all nutrition was consumed from a can or bottle...

Back when I used to brave the insanity of Mardi Gras, it was Lucky Dogs, or whatever burger type thing was nearby. But I had a place on Esplanade to duck into if needed. And another on Broadway. Just a short ride or walk from whichever parade route. Both places owned by my uncle, who kept sandwich stuff and other snack type foods around for the various refugees who decided to remove themselves from their prime viewing spots...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

everyone i ever went to a parade with stopped at Popeye's first, usually the one on Carrollton.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Oh my God, Lucky Dogs! Yes, somehow, I consumed my share of those in my youth. My college student budget usually called for things like that and Popeye's (the one on St. Charles near Lee Circle became quite the party spot one year). And Cajun burgers at Fat Harry's. Later when a friend had a house Mid-City, we'd cook up large batches of Houston's spinach and artichoke dip and have plenty of pistolets and deli meats on hand for sandwiches. And king cakes we got at McKenzie's (sp?), Gambino's, and Mr. Wedding Cake. Ah, the memories...

When I was growing up in Lafayette, Borden's ice cream (on Jefferson) was a must on Mardi Gras day.

Will be making king cakes for friends this weekend here in the Mid-Atlantic where the big event is the Superbowl. They know not what they are missing!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Popeyes is a must!! That feeling of coming to the end of Canal street, and leaning over the side of the float as the rice from Popeye's red beans and rice exits your system...............My mom sure loves that picture of me

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

We'll be somewhere on Napoleon, too. It's great fun with all of the kids. We bring assorted sandwiches (roast beef / ham & cheese / PB&J (a special request) -- and one hot meal each day that we keep warm in the large thermal containers. This year I tried to vary the meanu and had a list of new ideas to try out on them, but I let them vote on what they wanted last night, and they voted on the usual meals. Tradition definitely has its merits.

Saturday: Chili - we'll eat ours with saltine crackers & the kids will eat theirs over Fritos

Sunday: Chicken & Andouille Gumbo

Monday: Red Beans and Rice supplemented with a huge box of Popeye's Fried Chicken

Tuesday: Crawfish Etouffee

Rhonda