• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Artisan Foods Online

Rebel Rose

Cool California growers and artisans. For those of us not in metro areas . . . What California artisan products and websites can you recommend?

(Direct to the producer links only, please.)

Cowgirl Creamery (I joined the cheese club)

The Abalone Farm . . . (Article and recipe)

Spring Hill Cheese Co.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

In Mountain View, CA

Dittmer's Gourmet Meats and Wursthaus

Does Dittmer's ship or deliver its products?

Shipping is limited to smoked products and double smoked sausages. In accordance with federal regulations Dittmer's ships only within the State of California. Dittmer's does not deliver.

Some of their smoked offerings:

Bacons: Country Style, Canadian, English Rasher, Pancetta, Pepper, Back

Coppas, Kassler Ripchen, Smoked Hams, Schinkenspeck and Tasso

Smoked Ham Hocks, Neck Bones, Pig’s Feet, Pork Jowl

Smoked Tongue, Beef Jerky

Smoked Chicken, Game Hen, Duck, Goose, Quail, Pheasant

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

For chestnut lovers, like me, there is:

Girolami Farms Chestnuts

I have long been a fan of Swab's foods - the garlic-stuffed olives are the best I have ever tasted.

Long known only to those who drove up and down highway 395, on the eastern side of the Sierra (and here in the Antelope Valley), their unique product line is now available online and thankfully so.

I have bought and shipped assorted products to friends who once lived or vacationed in the area and fell in love with the various products. Now they can order their own.

Swab Farms.

Another local producer I favor is Mel's Olives.

Again, these are small batch products and if you visit farmers markets in southern California you might have met Mel at one time or another. As he states in his brochures, if you like garlic, you will like his products. I buy these for my Italian boss, who swears these are the absolute best for helping keep one on a diet. One or two pieces from the mixed vegetables is enough to satisfy as a low calorie snack.

For the gardeners among us, particularly those needing or wanting unusual citrus trees, here is the place to go.

GrowQuest.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, thanks for the Swab Farms link. I'm all in a dither now to order "Sliced jalapeno with orange peel" and their other goodies for Superbowl Sunday.

How could I have forgotten Santa Barbara Olive Company?

I'll need some of their hot dilled baby corns, pickled asparagus, and olives for the Superbowl antipasto plates! (And the Monday morning Bloody Marias!)

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 2 months later...

This isn't a direct-to-producer link, but it's a great site for artisanal and sustainable California products.

Savor California

It's still a young business, but they already have a great selection of California products.

I am definitely getting some of Tierra Vegetables' grapevine-smoke chipotles and chile jams. Their website says they appear year-round at the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market. ::envy::

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

I love Bariani's Olive Oil, it is a truly wonderful product. However, my advice is not to buy it in too large a quantity.

It goes off very easily.

Unless you use a lot of Olive Oil, you will absolutely need to keep it in the refridgerator. I used to keep mine in dark room temp, and I've had it go rancid inside of 3 months.

And don't be surprised by the, uh, interesting sediment in the last pour or two.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Okay, here a two other good places--probably familiar to people on the CA boards anyway but thought it would be good to put them up here. Rancho Gordo an many know is an active egulleteer to boot!

I've gotten her jams up at the SF Ferry Market, but you can also order June Taylor's Jams on line. Here is a list of some of her great tasting combinations:'

Marmalade:

Grapefruit & Meyer Lemon

Three Fruit

(Orange, Grapefruit & Meyer Lemon)

Blood Orange

Bergamot

Clementine

Mandarin

Meyer Lemon

Meyer Lemon and Lime

Meyer Lemon and Rose Geranium

Seville Orange

Silver Lime and Ginger

Tangerine

Conserves:

Blackberry

Blackberry & Lemon Verbena

Boysenberry

Boysenberry & Rose Geranium

Cherry & Almond

Damson Plum

Fig & Plum

Mariposa Plum

Pluot (plum/apricot)

Pluot & Lavender

Rhubarb

Fruit Butters

Apricot & Almond

Gravenstein Apple

Greengage Plum

Pear & Vanilla

Quince

Quince & Rose Geranium

Pluot (plum/apricot)

Santa Rosa Plum

Spiced Pear

White Nectarine

Also some fruit syrups and fruit cheeses

You can get Rancho Gordo's New World Specialty Food offerings up at SF Ferry Market, but now you can order dried heirloom and heritage beans, chiles, grains, posole and herbs from him online. Great website with a good page of recipes.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Okay, here a two other good places--probably familiar to people on the CA boards anyway but thought it would be good to put them up here.  Rancho Gordo an many know is an active egulleteer to boot!

Ah, but the California forum is not just for people who live in California--it's about California food, cooking and cuisine.

So thanks for the post on Rancho Gordo. I have not tried June Taylor's yet but as I am a marmalade freak (good for bagels and marinades) I will have to order some right away.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Olson's Cherries and Sigona's Farmers Market for sending the best fruit on earth.

Sunnyvale's Finest... Olsons's Cherries. I didn't know they shipped.

Edited by ludja (log)

I love Bariani's Olive Oil, it is a truly wonderful product. However, my advice is not to buy it in too large a quantity.

It goes off very easily.

Unless you use a lot of Olive Oil, you will absolutely need to keep it in the refridgerator. I used to keep mine in dark room temp, and I've had it go rancid inside of 3 months.

And don't be surprised by the, uh, interesting sediment in the last pour or two.

Erik

I've been using their oil for years and have never had any go rancid. The bottle sits on my kitchen counter. That being said, I buy the 1 L bottle, which will last me about two months.

And, yes, the unfiltered state of it can be a bit of a surprise to some people :biggrin:

re Bariani oil:

I've been using their oil for years and have never had any go rancid. The bottle sits on my kitchen counter. That being said, I buy the 1 L bottle, which will last me about two months.

And, yes, the unfiltered state of it can be a bit of a surprise to some people  :biggrin:

I have to add that I also love this stuff and big bottles sit on my counter without going bad. I don't think any oil benefits from long exposure to sun and heat but I don't find Bariani particularly sensitive. L ove this stuff and it's a very good bargain.

This last weekend Sebastian Bariani gave me a bottle of their new balsamico. It was very good and he claims it should be perfection by September.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

re Bariani oil:

And, yes, the unfiltered state of it can be a bit of a surprise to some people  :biggrin:

I have to add that I also love this stuff and big bottles sit on my counter without going bad. I don't think any oil benefits from long exposure to sun and heat but I don't find Bariani particularly sensitive. L ove this stuff and it's a very good bargain.

I've long been a big fan of Bariani olive oil from the very first moment i saw a little old couple selling olive oil under the freeway farmers market in sacramento. i bought a bottle and couldn't believe such honest good quality right there in river city!

i do love the stuff, excellent olive oil. and nice people, all of the bariani people i meet.

i often tell people about the oil and recommend it. we used it in my cooking classes at the chronicle cooking school at the ferry building.

x

marlena

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I saw the balsamico on their website but haven't seen it at the market yet. Maybe I should ask about it!

I think it's brand new. I said he felt it wold be better in Sept but I know it's a very limited producton so I'd get it now! So much better than some of the piss that passes for balsamico domestically!!! Mine won't last the summer.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I have to add that I also love this stuff and big bottles sit on my counter without going bad...This last weekend Sebastian Bariani gave me a bottle of their new balsamico. It was very good and he claims it should be perfection by September.

I usually buy the 500 ML bottle and use them within a month or two. The last two went off before I finished them. I wonder if there is something in that cabinet that is causing them to go off? It does seem like it is has been going off more quickly recently. Or maybe I just need to use more Olive Oil!

:unsure:

Are there any sorts of other products whose proximity would be more likely to cause oil to go off?

Mostly it is other closed bottles of vinegars, other oils, and that sort of thing down there. I can't think of any real changes in the inventory, other than replacing empty bottles and that sort of thing. Just got a new bottle last Saturday, perhaps I will just leave it on the counter, instead of putting it in the cabinet.

Wow! Balsamico! That is quite a leap. I'll be looking forward to trying it.

Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Is it plainly stated on any of these links if the products are organic or otherwise sustainably grown?

Signed,

Curious and Supportive in California

That's a good question, tana. Actually, one can discover more information on sustainable farming by visiting most of these sites.

Your small farms blog apparently covers quite a few organic/sustainable California producers. Do they have websites that you can list here?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

For great California almonds and almond paste from people who know almonds:

Mandelin in Bakersfield.

They aren't really set up for retail but their stuff is great. So much so that I was able to convince Surfas in Culver City (in LA) to carry their stuff in quantities appropriate for a home cook/baker. Before that, I went straight to them. They were really nice on the phone and the stuff tastes as gorgeous as it looks!

So long and thanks for all the fish.

For great California almonds and almond paste from people who know almonds:

Mandelin in Bakersfield.

They aren't really set up for retail but their stuff is great.  So much so that I was able to convince Surfas in Culver City (in LA) to carry their stuff in quantities appropriate for a home cook/baker.  Before that, I went straight to them.  They were really nice on the phone and the stuff tastes as gorgeous as it looks!

Thanks JFinLA; I"m really excited about their premium almond paste. I adore desserts with almond paste and would like to try that along with their almonds.

I have to add <A HREF="http://www.weolive.com/main.htm">We Olive</A> as a great resource. I buy the Olea Farms Arbequina olive oil locally (by the gallon, incidentally -- it's that good) but you can order it on that site.

"I can sit down, resolved to be moderate, determined to eat and drink lightly, and be there three hours later, nursing my wine and still open to temptation."

Peter Mayle, Toujours Provence

• 2 weeks later...

Niman Ranch beef, pork and lamb. They started (and still have) farms north of San Francisco, but now they also procure "all natural, hormone free meats" from other sustainable farms across the country to sell under their brand.

Lot's of info on their website: here . (Also some good recipes from restaurants that feature their products).

We offer every cut, from cheek to tail and everything in between. Our meat is expertly butchered by our artisan team, the same team butchering meat for the finest restaurants in the country.

We deliver your order fresh, never frozen, to your doorstep. Each piece is vacuum sealed for protection.

It's easy here (in Northern CA) to buy their stuff at many places but depending where you llive this could be useful.

Other interesting information from their website that I didn't realize before is that they sell (and also by mail) all sorts of less common cuts and parts including some offal. For example caul fat, lambs tongues and also some cured meats like Guanciale or Tirolean Speck.