• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

C Restaurant

Vancouver Lee

Our second last DOV stop was last night at C.

Our reservation was for 9:30pm but we arrived at 9. We were greeted warmly and offered a choice between a table upstairs ready in a few moments and a 5-minute wait for a downstairs table. We choose the upstairs table and the Maitre-Dame suggested we wait at the "Leaning Bar" until our table was ready.

The Leaning Bar is just what it sounds like - a bar that has bum rests instead of stools so you lean instead of sitting. Very weird. Our table was ready before we exhausted all the humourous possibilites created by the Leaning Bar, and we made our way upstairs.

Menus and water were offered immediately, and our server introduced himself. The suggested wine pairings were a bit white-heavy (we had visited Bacchus for pre-dinner drinks prior to arriving, where we shared a half-litre of an excellent Mission Hill 2003 Five Vinyards Pinot Grigio, and we didn't feel like more white), so the waiter smoothly offered to substitute some appropriate Cedar Creek reds with each course (they are featuring Cedar Creek wines during DOV). Very professionally done.

The room is very cold (visually), to our taste, with a vaguly nautical, Cape Cod-y theme. My wife called it "Early SpongeBob SquarePants". :laugh: I suspect the decor works much better on a warm summer evening as opposed to a winter night, and in their defense we had just come from the dark clubby confines of Bacchus.

We placed our order, and were visited by a glum server who offered us our choice of breads from a basket she carried. There was a seaweed scone, a raisin-and-something-I-dont-recall bread, and some sort of seaweed cracker. We tried them all, and they were quite delicious (particularly the crackers).

Our appetizers arrived within 5 minutes of ordering. My lovely wife had Organic Yukon Gold Potato and Black Truffle Soup. It had (obviously) a strong potato flavour, but was not heavy and thick as we expected. Think "potato consume". The soup was served with a lobster knuckle that was tender and sweet. I had C's Signature Smoked Skeena Wild Salmon Taster consisting of candied salmon, a "Pink salmon" and a more traditional salmon (I forget the name - it's on the tip of my tongue....). I had never had candied salmon before so I don't have any frame of reference, but C's version was excellent. Candied salmon in now officially on my "foods to be sought out" list. The other two varieties were good, but nothing special.

Our main courses were brought out within 5 minutes of finishing out appys. We shared Crisp Sun Valley Trout and Dungeness Crab, served with organic apples, roasted beets and nutmeg cream, and Roasted Duck Breast with Duck Leg Confit served with carmelized root vegetables, rapini and aged sherry vinegar emulsion. The trout had been de-boned and served on a bed of the roasted apples, beets and chunks of crab. The food runner told us the sauce was a hazelnut cream, so perhaps they ran out of nutmeg cream. The duck breast was served medium rare, and the confit was falling-off-the-bone tender. Both mains were good but not great. The kitchen seems to have a very heavy hand when it comes to salt - both mains were extremely salty.

Desert was a Lemon, Lime and Grapefruit Tart with a sesame snap and cocunut jelly for my wife, a Chocolate Sourdough Cake with a coffee ice cream sandwich and espresso ganache for me. The deserts were similar to the mains - good but not great (although not salty, fortunately!)

Wines were, as mentioned before, not the standard flights. With the appetizers we had a Cedar Creek 2002 Pinot Noir (quite nice - not as light as most pinots) and a Cedar Creek 2002 Merlot (decent but not great). The desert pairing was the standout: a Quail's Gate Estate Late Harvest Optima 2003. It was wonderful - more thick and viscous than the average late harvest wine. Nothing beats a great ice wine for desert, but the Optima is very very close. If you like ice wine but drink less than you'd like because of the price, give this wine a try.

With the exception of the surly bread girl (who we noticed was being very surepticiously chastized by the manager at one point during the evening) service was excellent. Not quite up to the standard set by West last weekend, but very very close. We were in and out in about 70 minutes - very efficient without feelign rushed. Unfortunately, the food was a bit of a disappointment - good, not great. I think we'll probably visit again this summer - I supsect dinner on the patio at sunset would be an enjoyable experience. Hopefuly the kitchen runs out of salt before then. :laugh:

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

Unfortunately, the food was a bit of a disappointment - good, not great.  I think we'll probably visit again this summer - I supsect dinner on the patio at sunset would be an enjoyable experience.

Lee, you're one of the first people I've read who shares our opinion of C. We've been for three dinners, all in the spring/summer, all outside on a picture-perfect evening. Three-course meals with cocktails, wine and cappucinos... yet each time we've come away thinking, "Good, but not great." I likened each of our dining experiences at C to watching a much-anticipated movie after reading lots of stellar reviews and then coming away somewhat disappointed. And it's not as if we've only been once... we gave it a second and third chance. Consequently, it's never been a recommended restaurant of ours; we'd much rather send someone to West, Bistro Pastis or Cru.

Just my two cents worth. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Lee,

We probably saw you at the leaning bar on our way out. It sounds like our experience was somewhat better than yours.

We arrived at 7:30 and were promptly seated. We found the staff to be pleasant, but not intrusive. Even the bread girl was no problem -- though I can't say I was a fan of the Japanese seaweed scone she had on offer.

We never felt rushed. We had a pre-dinner cocktail, and the waiter let us relax with that before putting our order in. We were in-and-out in 95 minutes, so he obviously had his eye on the clock, but we never felt any pressure.

Our dinners pretty much matched yours, with the exception that my wife had the Side Stripe Shrimp with Forest Mushroom Risotto. I started with the soup and was also very surprised by the velvety texture. It had a hint of roasted garlic, just enough to give it some sweetness. The lobster knuckle was delicious. Your description of it being sweet and tender is right on the mark.

My wife started with the Wild Salmon Taster. She shared a small bite of the Salmon Candy. It was the best I've had. Not quite as sweet as usual, which let the flavour come through more. It had a hint of spiciness (possibly come from the red onion creme fraiche) that added another dimension.

I had the Crisp Sun Valley Trout and Dungeness Crab and loved it. Maybe it was because I got the last of the nutmeg cream! :biggrin: I don't usually go for trout, but found this one rich and tasty. I could even have done without the crab. As good as the crab was, there was really no need for it, the trout was satisfying enough.

I had the Sourdough Chocolate Cake for dessert. Even for a chocoholic I found it a bit much. The ice cream was delicious, but the cake itself had a bittersweet chocolate sauce over and inside it. It overpowered everything else on the plate.

For wine we wanted to try something different than the recommended Cedar Creek, so asked the waiter for some advice. He was pretty light on wine knowledge, so we spoke to the sommelier. He was a wealth of knowledge and spent time guiding us through some of the other B.C. wines on offer, even though I'd made it clear our budget was not towards the $300 bottles they had on offer. We ended up with a bottle of Poplar Grove Pinot Gris (not VQA -- Ooops -- but at least B.C.), an excellent choice. It was a bit cold (okay a lot too cold) when it came to the table, but the flavours really came through after it warmed up in the glasses.

I was at West last month (pre-DOV) and have to say "C" was just as good. We'll definitely be going back.

Lee,

We probably saw you at the leaning bar on our way out. It sounds like our experience was somewhat better than yours.

We arrived at 7:30 and were promptly seated. We found the staff to be pleasant, but not intrusive. Even the bread girl was no problem -- though I can't say I was a fan of the Japanese seaweed scone she had on offer.

We never felt rushed. We had a pre-dinner cocktail, and the waiter let us relax with that before putting our order in. We were in-and-out in 95 minutes, so he obviously had his eye on the clock, but we never felt any pressure.

Our dinners pretty much matched yours, with the exception that my wife had the Side Stripe Shrimp with Forest Mushroom Risotto. I started with the soup and was also very surprised by the velvety texture. It had a hint of roasted garlic, just enough to give it some sweetness. The lobster knuckle was delicious. Your description of it being sweet and tender is right on the mark.

My wife started with the Wild Salmon Taster. She shared a small bite of the Salmon Candy. It was the best I've had. Not quite as sweet as usual, which let the flavour come through more. It had a hint of spiciness (possibly come from the red onion creme fraiche) that added another dimension.

I had the Crisp Sun Valley Trout and Dungeness Crab and loved it. Maybe it was because I got the last of the nutmeg cream! :biggrin: I don't usually go for trout, but found this one rich and tasty. I could even have done without the crab. As good as the crab was, there was really no need for it, the trout was satisfying enough.

I had the Sourdough Chocolate Cake for dessert. Even for a chocoholic I found it a bit much. The ice cream was delicious, but the cake itself had a bittersweet chocolate sauce over and inside it. It overpowered everything else on the plate.

For wine we wanted to try something different than the recommended Cedar Creek, so asked the waiter for some advice. He was pretty light on wine knowledge, so we spoke to the sommelier. He was a wealth of knowledge and spent time guiding us through some of the other B.C. wines on offer, even though I'd made it clear our budget was not towards the $300 bottles they had on offer. We ended up with a bottle of Poplar Grove Pinot Gris (not VQA -- Ooops -- but at least B.C.), an excellent choice. It was a bit cold (okay a lot too cold) when it came to the table, but the flavours really came through after it warmed up in the glasses.

I was at West last month (pre-DOV) and have to say "C" was just as good. We'll definitely be going back.

Beychevelle, did you find the food to be very salty?

www.leecarney.com

Unfortunately, the food was a bit of a disappointment - good, not great.  I think we'll probably visit again this summer - I supsect dinner on the patio at sunset would be an enjoyable experience.

Lee, you're one of the first people I've read who shares our opinion of C. We've been for three dinners, all in the spring/summer, all outside on a picture-perfect evening. Three-course meals with cocktails, wine and cappucinos... yet each time we've come away thinking, "Good, but not great." I likened each of our dining experiences at C to watching a much-anticipated movie after reading lots of stellar reviews and then coming away somewhat disappointed. And it's not as if we've only been once... we gave it a second and third chance. Consequently, it's never been a recommended restaurant of ours; we'd much rather send someone to West, Bistro Pastis or Cru.

Just my two cents worth. :rolleyes:

It's funny, I hesitated posting this review as I know how much the people here seem to love C. But in the end I decided to "call 'em like I see 'em". :biggrin: Glad to know I'm not totally crazy.

www.leecarney.com

• 2 weeks later...

Lee, I'm in agreement with you. We did the exact same menu choices as you two. Service was very good, but food was good but not what I expected from an award winning restaurant. I've never been to C and was anxious to see what all the fuss was about. I think the DOV may not be the best idea in the world, though. If you're after getting a lot for less money, it's a good deal but I think the food suffers. Cooking and serving the same menu every night for up to a month can take the "umph" out the food. Hard to explain but I think you know what I mean.

Having recently moved here from California I've heard a lot about Vancouver's great restaurants and I have to say, so far I've been a bit underwhelmed. BUT in defense there's a lot I haven't tried. We're going to try Vig's and Chambar in a couple weeks which I'm really excited about. I've heard and read here they're both excellent. Obviously, you have to know where the hot spots are, too. Definitely a fish out of water here!

bimbojones

Whenever I see a reference to "C" I cannot help but look for the moniker "Cabrales"....the two names were almost "joined at the hip" in related threads I have seen at other "foodie" discussion sites...I am not sure whether he/she was a contributor here at eGullet or not.....

She was, you'll periodically see reference to her. She dissappered from here without a trace, deleting her account in the process. It was before my time so I don't know the story, maybe one of the oldtimers recall the details. I always found her fascinating, it was tough to pin where on the savant continuim she resided, was she a genuis, or merely eccentric?

I haven't seen her post at Chowhound recently either (although to be honest, it seems no one posts there anymore, that place is as dead as the NHL. Hard to beleive it was once my prefered board.)

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=Se...ult_type=topics

Restaurant owners and managers are always seeking information from customers on how to improve the guest experience. Lately, your comments have made an impact in a few areas of the restaurant.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post comments about our restaurant and assisting us in improving your experience.

Looking foward to late night reading and a few postings.

Leonard J Nakonechny

General Manager

C Restaurant

Ps. EGullet's Newest Member

I've never been to "C" during Dine Out but my wife and I have always enjoyed the food and experience there over the last six years. It will be interesting to see what happens to the old Riley location now the "C" ownership has accuired it.

Stephen

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

I have to say that I've never eaten at C ... but I just may do so now.

What a lovely way to respond to the comments you've read here about diners experiences. Good on yah :biggrin:

And, I'm glad to hear that people's input has made a difference in a positive way.

Restaurant owners and managers are always seeking information from customers on how to improve the guest experience. Lately, your comments have made an impact in a few areas of the restaurant.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post comments about our restaurant and assisting us in improving your experience.

Leonard J Nakonechny

General Manager

C Restaurant

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Leonard, I'm very pleased to see you took my comments in the manner that they were intended: constructive feedback rather than mean-spirited criticism. I'm glad to hear that my comments helped, too, and even more glad to hear that you welcome feedback from your customers to improve the service you deliver.

We'll be darkening your doorway again.

Leonard J Nakonechny

General Manager

C Restaurant

www.leecarney.com

Way to go Leonard!!

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

Just kidding eatbc....

It is great that a restaurant manager can take the OPINION of a poster here and use it as a catalyst for change in his establishment!! That is the basis of the "owner/manager & guest" relationship. Listen, acknowledge, take action.

Is the customer always right, no. However, he/she is always the customer and it's alright for the customer to be wrong!

If anything, C Restaurant has been consistent in it's delivery and execution. It also has something that has evaded many restaurants in Vancouver ...... staying power.

Cheers Leonard,

John

It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Hunter S. Thompson ---- R.I.P. 1939 - 2005

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

--Mark Twain

It's always hard to know what people are really thinking about their experience. Your "regulars" will generally give you positive feedback. Comment cards are iffy (some people associate them with lower-end establishments, others just ignore them); and if people are asked anything more pertinent than "How was everything?" they'll often find it intrusive.

For those establishments which have a high enough profile to be discussed regularly online, it's a great way to "eavesdrop" on your clientele.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I was looking for an oppurtunity to post about my dining experience at C just this past week.

I did not know what to expect - but to tell you the truth I was a little aprehensive. I heard not so good things about the food being pretentious and I had visions of powders and foams dancing in my head.

The reality is that C is very good. I started out with a lobster bisque with a taragon bubble. I suspect the taragon bubble was supposed to inflate as the hot bisque was poured over it - it did not but no matter as the bisque was still tasty and rich. My friends had scallops wrapped in octopus "bacon" which came with a fois gras croquette. The scallops looked very good - and the croquette was insanely rich (and good).

My main course was wild sturgeon which came with a braised breast of pork - high end surf and turf! It was the first time I had sturgeon at a restaurant and when I have it at home - it is steamed in a black bean sauce. The C version was pan seared (fried?) and it was firmer than I expected but was clean and fresh tasting and a perfect match for the hearty pork breast. One of my dining companions had the sable fish that was served over a brothy sacue. It looked very very good.

I was too full for dessert.

The server was great - being a weekday there was not too much drinking (waters all around plus two glasses of wine) but he did not make us feel pressured about it. He was knowledable but relaxed and funny. The service went a long way in warming up the really coldly decorated room. My friends frequent C in the summer and say the patio is a lot of fun.

Overall - the experience was very good. C is much more relaxed then I thought it would be and the food is less fussy then even the menu conveys. They know how to let the ingredient take center stage and the servers seem to be able to guage and handle the table well. (One thing that seems to be happening at ALL restaurants lately is the whole describing the food once it is set down in front of you again thing - why!?)

I think that I will need to go back a couple more times to get a better feel of things. I felt like I had alot of mixed expectations that maybe weighed on the experience. Plus I did pay for my meal - and I need to get a better feel for the whole value for money thing.

But really - with over thinking about it - it was good food, good service, and we had a great time.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I've never been to "C" during Dine Out but my wife and I have always enjoyed the food and experience there over the last six years. It will be interesting to see what happens to the old Riley location now the "C" ownership has accuired it.

Stephen

Stephen,

We look forward to you and your wife joining us for dinner. Please contact me directly when you decide to join us.

Sincerely,

Leonard J Nakonechnyd

Leonard, I'm very pleased to see you took my comments in the manner that they were intended: constructive feedback rather than mean-spirited criticism.  I'm glad to hear that my comments helped, too, and even more glad to hear that you welcome feedback from your customers to improve the service you deliver.

We'll be darkening your doorway again.

Leonard J Nakonechny

General Manager

C Restaurant

We look forward to it.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM

Ok, Len, you are now up to three posts !!

A guy with your experience should be out there all over this board. Venture beyond the confines of the "C" topic. You have so much more to offer the Vancouver Forum. Once you get to 30 posts, they give you a secret decoder ring.

Cheers

Neil

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I was looking for an oppurtunity to post about my dining experience at C just this past week.

I did not know what to expect - but to tell you the truth I was a little aprehensive.  I heard not so good things about the food being pretentious and I had visions of powders and foams dancing in my head.

The reality is that C is very good.  I started out with a lobster bisque with a taragon bubble.  I suspect the taragon bubble was supposed to inflate as the hot bisque was poured over it - it did not but no matter as the bisque was still tasty and rich.  My friends had scallops wrapped in octopus "bacon" which came with a fois gras croquette.  The scallops looked very good - and the croquette was insanely rich (and good).

My main course was wild sturgeon which came with a braised breast of pork - high end surf and turf!  It was the first time I had sturgeon at a restaurant and when I have it at home - it is steamed in a black bean sauce.  The C version was pan seared (fried?) and it was firmer than I expected but was clean and fresh tasting and a perfect match for the hearty pork breast.  One of my dining companions had the sable fish that was served over a brothy sacue.  It looked very very good.

I was too full for dessert.

The server was great - being a weekday there was not too much drinking (waters all around plus two glasses of wine) but he did not make us feel pressured about it.  He was knowledable but relaxed and funny.  The service went a long way in warming up the really coldly decorated room.  My friends frequent C in the summer and say the patio is a lot of fun.

Overall - the experience was very good.  C is much more relaxed then I thought it would be and the food is less fussy then even the menu conveys.  They know how to let the ingredient take center stage and the servers seem to be able to guage and handle the table well. (One thing that seems to be happening at ALL restaurants lately is the whole describing the food once it is set down in front of you again thing - why!?)

I think that I will need to go back a couple more times to get a better feel of things.  I felt like I had alot of mixed expectations that maybe weighed on the experience.  Plus I did pay for my meal - and I need to get a better feel for the whole value for money thing.

But really - with over thinking about it - it was good food, good service, and we had a great time.

Lee,

Well, first of all I want to thank you for joining us for dinner. I am pleased to know that you had an enjoyable experience. As your friend mentioned to you, the patio is stunning with the view of the False Creek. We hope to see you sometime during summer.

I am disappointed you were too full for dessert. You will have to come back and try the Warm Manjari Chocolate Pudding with the malted milk chocolate shake. It's so tasty.

Sincerely,

Leonard J Nakonechny

C Restaurant GM

Ok, Len, you are now up to three posts !!

A guy with your experience should be out there all over this board. Venture beyond the confines of the "C" topic. You have so much more to offer the Vancouver Forum. Once you get to 30 posts, they give you a secret decoder ring.

Cheers

Neil

Neil,

Hey thanks! I am just trying to get enough so I can learn the secret handshake.

Leonard J Nakonechny

C GM