• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oregon Wine Tasting Groups

Ciao Tutti

I just made the move  from Italy to the Willamette Valley to manage Anne Amie Vineyards. So - where are the tasting groups out here?

Welcome Craig! Wow, quite the move. I was just out looking for a Temperanillo (and I can tell I spelled that incorrectly) from Oregon. Had a glass at Matt's in the Market (Seattle) but didn't catch the name (maybe started with an A?). It was a smooth glass of wine.

Have a great time getting to know the PNW, if you aren't already familiar.

Hey Craig,

Welcome back to the States. What varietals does Anne Amie Vineyards work with? Where are they available? Tell us about the winery.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Craig:

Congrats on your move. I e-mailed Anne Amie months ago to inqure about their port that one of my waitstaff had tried and raved about. Never got a response at all. :angry: Obviously there wasn't anyone there "managing" and answering those e-mails, so it's a fine thing that you've been hired to take over!

So maybe now that I know someone there, you can tell me if your product is available in PA or NJ??

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ciao Tutti

I just made the move  from Italy to the Willamette Valley to manage Anne Amie Vineyards. So - where are the tasting groups out here?

Welcome Craig! Wow, quite the move. I was just out looking for a Temperanillo (and I can tell I spelled that incorrectly) from Oregon. Had a glass at Matt's in the Market (Seattle) but didn't catch the name (maybe started with an A?). It was a smooth glass of wine.

Have a great time getting to know the PNW, if you aren't already familiar.

Thanks for the welcome. You must be thinking of the Abacela Tempranillo from the Rogue valley in Southern Oregon. Very tasty!

This site often has stuff like that:

http://www.willamettewines.com/

PortlandFood.org did do a tour of some wineries this last fall, too, here:

http://www.portlandfood.org/modules.php?na...c&t=77&start=60

Thanks, but I am looking for a regular group that likes to do in-depth technical tastings (not only of Oregon wines please!)

Hey Craig,

Welcome back to the States. What varietals does Anne Amie Vineyards work with? Where are they available? Tell us about the winery.

John - thanks for the welcome. A trip here a few months ago led to the move. The owner, Robert Pamplin, recently purchased Chateau Benoit and renamed it Anne Amie with the goal of creating the finest Pinot Noir, and, as they say; he made me an offer I could not refuse. The opportunity to join the quest for great Pinot Noir with all the resources required to reach that goal was just too much to pass up. About 90% of our production at Anne Amie is Pinot Noir with the balance being Pinot Gris and some very interesting old vine Riesling. While our production is small (7,000 cases) we have the capability to double that as our vineyards mature. We have two ranges of Pinot Noir: the Winemaker’s Selection, which is a blend of vineyards, and a range of single “Cru” selections: Deux Vert, La Colina, Rainbow Ridge, Hawks View and Yamhill Springs. Unfortunately the Vineyard Designates are very limited with only a few hundred cases of each being produced. The opportunity to be in the winery and vineyards every day working to make great Pinot Noir is an exceptional experience and I am thrilled to be here. I hope that you can come visit us.

Craig:

Congrats on your move.  I e-mailed Anne Amie months ago to inqure about their port that one of my waitstaff had tried and raved about.  Never got a response at all.  :angry:  Obviously there wasn't anyone there "managing" and answering those e-mails, so it's a fine thing that you've been hired to take over!

So maybe now that I know someone there, you can tell me if your product is available in PA or NJ??

Hi Katie, we make a tiny amount of Syrah Port from some grapes we get in the Rogue Valley. Normally it is only sold at the winery and a few places in Portland. It is a very nice "new-world style" port. The wines are available in NJ and hopefully in the future in PA. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at: craig@anneamie.com

Ciao Craig,

Super cool move - although I guess we won't be seeing eachother here in Italia. Forse, ci vediamo a ORE.!!

I know your knowledge on Italian wines is up there, but, this new Pinot Noir and Oregon thing, is it something for you that is going to be a learning experience as well, or would you say that you are already quite familliar with the Pinot Noir and its production?? How is the weather where you are?? I think or Oregon and wine and somehow think of mountain ranges - is that how it is??

Ciao,

Ore

Ciao Craig,

Super cool move - although I guess we won't be seeing eachother here in Italia.  Forse, ci vediamo a ORE.!! 

I know your knowledge on Italian wines is up there, but, this new Pinot Noir and Oregon thing, is it something for you that is going to be a learning experience as well, or would you say that you are already quite familliar with the Pinot Noir and its production??  How is the weather where you are??  I think or Oregon and wine and somehow think of mountain ranges - is that how it is??

Ciao,

Ore

The weather here is actually a lot like Piemonte. I have been working with Oregon Pinot Noir closely now for over 15 years. The Willamette Valley is located between the Cascade and Coastal mountain ranges, which provide the perfect climate for Pinot Noir .

Ciao Tutti

I'm relatively new to the area and in the wine business, as well. Haven't had luck finding a regular tasting group in Portland, so if anyone is interested in possibly starting one...I was in a great one for a few years with an interesting mix of current and former wine & restaurant people. I found it always interesting - and always humbling!

Ciao Tutti

I'm relatively new to the area and in the wine business, as well. Haven't had luck finding a regular tasting group in Portland, so if anyone is interested in possibly starting one...I was in a great one for a few years with an interesting mix of current and former wine & restaurant people. I found it always interesting - and always humbling!

I would be interested although I am working 6 days/week now. But I could make it to some I'm sure.

Rodney

Welcome to the PNW Craig. It's great to have you here.

If (or I assume when) your work at Anne Amie brings you to Seattle let us know. I for one am still learning the ins and outs of Oregon Pinot, and would love to sample some of your product under your guidance.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code