• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what are 3 of whistlers best restaurant

Izzy

Boston Pizza? Hoz's Pub? Blacks?

What have you been smoking?

whatever it is will make you want to go to Boston Pizza!

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Isn't the Rimrock Cafe one of the better restaurants up there too?

(And I had 2 meals at Boston Pizza up in Whistler not too long ago. What's to like? It's food to fill you up when you're hungry and it's snowing outside, but it's definitely not food to savour. Even in the "casual dining, chain-restaurant" category, I would choose Earl's over Boston Pizza. :blink: )

Edited by Ling (log)

Hey if you have kids and your not made of money, Boston Pizza in whistler is one of the best deals and the food is very consistant, they also have great hockey pictures of all the great eighteis hockey players, after a day of sking and ski out to the creek side and go to boston pizza.

I have been to most restaurants in whistler, can you affoerd to eat out three nights in a row, your talking like three hundred per person, that is 600 for two, add the room, breakfast, lunch, booze, lift tickets, a whole lota money.

One night at boston pizza, pub food at hozes one night, dusties, Rimrock.

Araxis.

Spread around, plus the higher end restaurants in whistler are not as good value.

I like hozes food in the creek side, I have eaten there for ten years, out of disney land and all the crowds, spend all day working around people you need to get some calmness, the creekside is good for that, plus creekside rules.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Here are a couple more for you that are also affordable.

1. Wildwood Pacific Bistro

2. BBK's (in the upper village and this is owned by Chef Bernard)

3. 21 Steps

4. Uli's Flipside

5. Southside Diner in Creekside (which has been newly reno'd)

6. Les Gros

Hope this helps.

Chris

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

3. 21 Steps
????????
6. Les Gros

how is the new restaurant with only one fat guy. The old chef from the bear foot was chef,for the restaurant in beteen Les deux gros and les Gros, it lasted what a year???

Yes Splitz is famous in Whistler.

A local hangout

very good chicken burgers

steve

3. 21 Steps
????????
6. Les Gros

how is the new restaurant with only one fat guy. The old chef from the bear foot was chef,for the restaurant in beteen Les deux gros and les Gros, it lasted what a year???

A local hangout

steve

21 Steps is the old Casa Tapas place in St. Andrews house across from the Savage Beagle. It has a rather ecclectic menu with some interesting items and a really funky little martini bar on the 3rd floor and the kitchen is open until midnight.

Which beats the hell out of Subway and Domino's for a late night snack while in town.

The old chef (Eric Vernice) ran Jayde and he is presently the chef at Apres.

He lasted longer (unfortunately) than The Screaming Oyster in Creekside which lasted only 4 months. It was a shame as I finally had another place in Whistler to go for just oysters.

Eric is a very talented chef but the location was very hard for him to work with, not to mention the fact that the snow sucked last year and the war and other things combined to make it tough even for well established restaurants in the Whistler area.

Today after a staff meeting, we went to 5280 in the 4 Seasons for breakfast.

I will not be going back there and I think that they are looking for a good breakfast cook as well. Or they should be anyways!

Myself and 2 other of the chef de partie I work with had the beef tender loin with eggs. The meat was over salted but the potatoes were not seasoned. The meat was rare when I had ordered medium rare and the other guys had runny eggs or overcooked ones. The menu said it was served with wild mushrooms but if button mushrooms from Mooney's are wild, I'll eat the crate they came in. It also said carmelized onions as well but dammed if I or anyone else found them.

Another chef ordered the smoked salmon plate and while the white salmon was cured right, there was no smoke in their salmon. It was bland and boring.

We waited a good 15 minutes to get 3 drinks and the place was almost empty and the staff outnumbered the guests.

Not impressed, my bill came to 50.00 for a breakfast that was more worthy of someplace on the mountains than a 4 star hotel.

I would not go there or reccomend that anyone go there either.

If you can't do breakfast well, I wouldn't trust them with dinner.

My 3 choices for the best 3 in Whistler

1. Bearfoot Bistro (even though you don't like their wine markups, the food is unbeatable.)

2. Quattro

3. Zen Sushi

Take care and eat well

The Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

He lasted longer (unfortunately) than The Screaming Oyster in Creekside which lasted only 4 months. It was a shame as I finally had another place in Whistler to go for just oysters.

He lasted as long as I did at the deli, I went a year there, the Rajun Cajun.

Cal got a free reno?? :raz:

Cal has the deli open again.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)

He lasted as long as I did at the deli, I went a year there, the Rajun Cajun.

Cal got a free reno?? :raz:

Cal has the deli open again.

steve

It was free for Cal but it cost the guys from The Screaming Oyster $300,000.00

And it was not only because they wanted to but they really had to.

Let's face it Steve, the place was a dump. The first time I ever walked in there, I turned around and walked out when I made the mistake at looking at their kitchen.

I'm surprised the Health Board even let them serve food out of there! If I had taken the place over, I would have napalmed the place as it would be the only way to insure you killed all the bacteria hiding in there. While I have heard that it was adding a bit of local "colour" by being that way, I was more worried about local e-coli! This is part of the reason that I avoid Creekside like the plague. Not to mention, that since they started the construction in that area, it is like hanging out in a big construction site rather than a local neighbourhood.

It isn't Cal who re-opened it but a couple of long time locals, one of them beng Eli Meinhoff who was the old GM at The Boot.

I agree with your choice of the Edgewater lodge as one of the best but not Sushi Village.

They used to be okay but have fallen into the Whistler pattern of offering too little for way too much and the sushi is not as good as when I first ate there.

Sachi Sushi on Main street is much better and offers more for your dining dollar and much better quality.

Chris

Eleanor Clark

I'm surprised the Health Board even let them serve food out of there!
The health board guy used to eat there.( southside) :cool:

I heard that Frank the frenchy was working at the new deli??? :sad:

Cal is involved in some way cause the liquor liscence is in his name and it is running under the grandfather, cause like you said they would have to blow it up. if they changed from the grandfather.

Dana rienhart had her time there and so did Uly.

Cal let the deli go to hell.

The creekside mafia put the place into the shitter, it used to be good back in the day. It lived off that reputation for ten years.

steve

I have heard that the building was actually built over the property line allotted to them and if they tore it down, they would have a smaller lot on which to build the new building.

I don't know anything about how they are working the liquor licence and I only hope that it continues to be a success for Eli as I like him and I used to work with him as well.

Yes, Frank the breakfast nazi is once again screaming for people to pick up their food at the new Southside after a brief stint with The Wildwood Pacific Bistro.

Frank is a good guy and I have worked with him at another Whistler location before as well.

I have also met health inspectors in Toronto and elsewhere that will look the other way for the right price so the fact that he ate there would not have made me feel any better about eating there when I first saw the place.

Sorry, but as you stated, he let it go to shit.

But, now it is new, clean and doing what it was meant to do and that is the most important thing anyways.

Besides, it is the closest thing Whistler has to a historical site!! :biggrin:

Eleanor Clark

But, now it is new, clean and doing what it was meant to do and that is the most important thing anyways.

Besides, it is the closest thing Whistler has to a historical site!! 

You are so right there!!! :biggrin:

remember Jordan’s lodge; now that was a real heritage building, it was up there with myrtle Phillips lodge which they tore down then had they after affect: " Whoops", I guess we should have not torn that down, there is some history here, oh well, we will keep the little cabins.”

I like the creek side, cal has right of passage to developed behind the deli, but he might have dealt out all his lucky charms, we shall see the continuing saga of the creek side gossip.

steve

not to mention the fact that the snow sucked last year

If the snow sucked last year then what do you think of this year????? At least last year there was snow on the ground and on the hill instead of grass and dirt. I don't remember last year as being a poor one for snow at all.

Seeing as I don't ski or snowboard, I couldn't really give a damm but it does affect me nonetheless.

I totally agree with you however about this year and it is the worst snow year I have seen since arriving in town.

Hope Ullr comes through for us!

Eleanor Clark

• 1 month later...
3. 21 Steps
????????
6. Les Gros

A local hangout

steve

21 Steps is the old Casa Tapas place in St. Andrews house across from the Savage Beagle. It has a rather ecclectic menu with some interesting items and a really funky little martini bar on the 3rd floor and the kitchen is open until midnight.

Which beats the hell out of Subway and Domino's for a late night snack while in town.

The old chef (Eric Vernice) ran Jayde and he is presently the chef at Apres.

Eric is a very talented chef but the location was very hard for him to work with, not to mention the fact that the snow sucked last year and the war and other things combined to make it tough even for well established restaurants in the Whistler area.

Today after a staff meeting, we went to 5280 in the 4 Seasons for breakfast.

I will not be going back there and I think that they are looking for a good breakfast cook as well. Or they should be anyways!

Myself and 2 other of the chef de partie I work with had the beef tender loin with eggs. The meat was over salted but the potatoes were not seasoned. The meat was rare when I had ordered medium rare and the other guys had runny eggs or overcooked ones. The menu said it was served with wild mushrooms but if button mushrooms from Mooney's are wild, I'll eat the crate they came in. It also said carmelized onions as well but dammed if I or anyone else found them.

Another chef ordered the smoked salmon plate and while the white salmon was cured right, there was no smoke in their salmon. It was bland and boring.

We waited a good 15 minutes to get 3 drinks and the place was almost empty and the staff outnumbered the guests.

Not impressed, my bill came to 50.00 for a breakfast that was more worthy of someplace on the mountains than a 4 star hotel.

I would not go there or reccomend that anyone go there either.

If you can't do breakfast well, I wouldn't trust them with dinner.

Just a addition to this thought (late though it is)

I should realize that everyone has a bad day and that I should not judge a place on the merits of 1 visit alone.

When I contacted the Four Seasons about what now seems a trival matter, they were very professional and courteous about the whole situation.

I have since been back to the 5280 Bistro and I must say that it was fantastic.

I was totally impressed at the quality and the service there the 2nd time around and I am glad to have gone there.

I wish to apologize to anyone who might have read the ramblings of the above thread as I was totally in error about a lot of things.

In future, I will think long and hard about how I word things here and not be so quick to judge a place by only 1 visit as I have done a great disservice to a fine establishment by speaking so flippantly.

I would highly reccomend the 5280 Bistro as one of the must go places while dining in Whistler

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark