• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food/Cooking Magazines

fierydrunk

The only reason I ever read a food magazine is to try new or even old recipes. Gourmet magazinehas always left me cold when they have 23 ingredients and 36 steps to a recipe. Maybe it’s my mid-west farm roots that makes Taste of Home appeal to me. I also like the fact that it has no advertising and once you’re a subscriber you have access to all the recipes from all their different publications via the Internet.

• 13 years later...

I thought it would never happen -- being that I am employed in a library -- but I just subscribed to Cook's Illustrated on the iPad app.  I keep finding Cook's Illustrated content that I want to keep for reference and our Xerox* at work is no longer on maintenance contract.  I had hoped access to back issues might be included in the subscription price, but somehow knowing CI I am not surprised.

For what it's worth the iPad app seems better formatted than the printed magazine.

*generic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/6/2019 at 10:21 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I thought it would never happen -- being that I am employed in a library -- but I just subscribed to Cook's Illustrated on the iPad app.  I keep finding Cook's Illustrated content that I want to keep for reference and our Xerox* at work is no longer on maintenance contract.  I had hoped access to back issues might be included in the subscription price, but somehow knowing CI I am not surprised.

For what it's worth the iPad app seems better formatted than the printed magazine.

*generic

Does an online subscription get you access to back issue articles and recipes? (Although I might need to make a special email address to use only for that purpose.)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

congrats on your subscription 

I don't read the magazines but I do use the search engine online at their website for recipes and this search engine refers to back issues 

I find it to be a very powerful and useful tool bc I could bring up recipes for meals I see randomly online or on a show or if I need something very specific for a party - e.g., rhubarb salad etc 

I only wish I didn't upgrade and pay more for access to stuff I don't need or use 

45 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Does an online subscription get you access to back issue articles and recipes? (Although I might need to make a special email address to use only for that purpose.)

I could be wrong but I don't believe the iPad app subscription is the same thing as an online subscription.  If you already have their digital subscription the iPad app is no extra charge.  The iPad app by itself is about $19.99 per year, which includes six issues.  Back issues are available for purchase at $6.99 each, going back to 2012.  There is a search function as part of the app but I have not played with it.

As an aside, by paying Apple for the app you should not need a dummy email address.  That was the consideration that tipped me over the edge.  Also, there is a month free trial.

12 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I could be wrong but I don't believe the iPad app subscription is the same thing as an online subscription.  If you already have their digital subscription the iPad app is no extra charge.  The iPad app by itself is about $19.99 per year, which includes six issues.  Back issues are available for purchase at $6.99 each, going back to 2012.  There is a search function as part of the app but I have not played with it.

As an aside, by paying Apple for the app you should not need a dummy email address.  That was the consideration that tipped me over the edge.  Also, there is a month free trial.

True, the iPad is not the same as an online subscription. But if an online subscription (with a dummy email address) is enough to get access to back issues, that might be enough to push me over the edge.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

True, the iPad is not the same as an online subscription. But if an online subscription (with a dummy email address) is enough to get access to back issues, that might be enough to push me over the edge.

If you can get a back issue subscription please let me know the cost.  Depending on how expensive the subscription is it might be cheaper just to buy the interesting back issues.  I could be wrong but I assume once you buy the issues they are yours to keep forever and ever.  Or at least as forever as online is.

21 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If you can get a back issue subscription please let me know the cost.  Depending on how expensive the subscription is it might be cheaper just to buy the interesting back issues.  I could be wrong but I assume once you buy the issues they are yours to keep forever and ever.  Or at least as forever as online is.

I might be more inclined to do so, if they made it easier to figure out from their website what the different kinds of memberships get you. As best as I can tell, a magazine subscription of either the paper or the electronic version only gets you access to the issues you subscribe to, and that includes electronic access to the recipes and reviews in your issues for 4 months after they come out. You can't get at anything older than that on line, but of course you own the magazines that you subscribed for. I think if you do an online membership, you get access to everything on the website, but only for the period that your membership is active. And you can do a subscription that's both magazine and website, to get the magazines (presumably permanently) and the website access to everything.

• Confused 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY