• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Layered Libations

ludja

I must admit I haven't had too many layered drinks--and never one with with 3 or 4 layers.

Are there any good layered combinations out there for people that enjoy classic cocktails?

I was inspired to ask this question after reading this passage in, Marie Curie: A Life by Susan Quinn. (fascinating read so far, by the way).

Toulouse-Lautrec, his small form dressed in a white barman's suit with a waistcoat made of an American flag, served up drinks.  He had shaved his head for the occasion, and concocted libations of layered liqueurs in bright colors

This incident was recounted to take place in fin de siecle Paris (1895). As an aside, I challenge anyone to be a more colorful cocktail dispenser, but maybe that is another thread... :smile:

Oh, and here's a website listing a myriad of layered cocktails. (These look to be more in the gimmicky genre though...)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"