• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And the official state fruit of Florida is?

article from Florida Today

TALLAHASSEE -- Janet Shapiro's fourth-graders were amazed to learn Florida has no official fruit.
:rolleyes:

article from the Tallahassee Democrat

Truth be told, Florida has no official fruit. But it's not as if the orange is underrepresented.

The official state flower? The orange blossom. The official state beverage? Orange juice.

A drawing of the orange also graces the tags on the few remaining vehicles in Florida that do not have specialty license plates.

I would have thought that this had been resolved long ago .... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

LOL, as in love with Florida as I am, I do recognize that there are some really weird things about the State, it's laws, and certain issues that seem to go unresolved. This is an example!

My car is one of the few vehicles that doesn't have a specialty license plate, and so it has an orange on it. In these parts that is unusual, so I have a special license plate by not having a specialty license plate. :wacko:

Definitely the State building material should be blue plastic tarps. Some say we should call Florida the Blue Tarp State. It's still everywhere, waiting for shingles which are still on backorder.

And oh those palmetto bugs, too bad they can't be turned into a food. But then again, some people do chocolate coat insects, don't they...

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I wish I could find the bit I copied from Bizarre News a couple of years ago. Some weird artist in Florida was making sculptures out of palmetto bugs, dipping them in a type of clear epoxy or similar resin and sticking them onto wire armatures formed into varius shapes. One sculputre was a grove of palm trees about 8 feet tall and from a distance looked like a real tree. Apparently he lived in a place that was heavily infested by the "state mascot" and decided to make use of them.

He had already sold one piece to a hotel for display near their outdoor dining area.

(Shudder!)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

LOL, as in love with Florida as I am, I do recognize that there are some really weird things about the State, it's laws, and certain issues that seem to go unresolved.  This is an example!

My car is one of the few vehicles that doesn't have a specialty license plate, and so it has an orange on it.  In these parts that is unusual, so I have a special license plate by not having a specialty license plate.  :wacko:

Definitely the State building material should be blue plastic tarps.  Some say we should call Florida the Blue Tarp State.  It's still everywhere, waiting for shingles which are still on backorder....

In numerous commercials and on billboards - they're referred to as "Blue Roofs" (as in "we do blue roof inspections"). I suspect a lot of repair work hasn't been done because homeowners can't pay their deductibles. Robyn

I vote for the ugly, good tasting, tomatoes that aren't allowed to leave home. Since they have to stay they should be the State Fruit. :raz::raz::raz:http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=57966&hl=

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321