• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasa Robles

Chef Metcalf

In the meantime, I'd like to point out that although Brad and I support the BC:WOW, it isn't ultimately our decision, and site management will undoubtedly want to see a ongoing regional focus in a regional Wine of the Week.  My advice would be to search first for wines produced in your area.  In addition to providing an important regional focus, I know that our "Winers" would love to see some in-depth reporting on wines produced in your region, and we'll be visiting often.

As a wine lover, you couldn't be from a better area...well, you could...but we think Pasa Robles is a hidden paradise of quality grapes in an amazing micro-climate. :cool: Always excellent quality and whenever we see the name, it always sways us to purchase.

We don't have that many available here in Vancouver, maybe be 6-12 on the market here right now, (unless I am just not looking hard enough) and may not be able to find them in Canada, but we go to the States a couple of times a year and it would be helpful for us too have a list of quality choices from an oenophile who lives there! :biggrin:

So....seeing as we are here visiting...What are your Pasa Robles best bet red wines from $15.00-75.00?

We like full bodied, layered, fruit forward but sophisticated, good tannin on the finish reds.

Two of the names I remember (small miracle) are Tobin James 1999 Zinfandel and J Lohr Syrah and Cabernet (the latter readily available here in Vancouver).

Fire away...

Here's a small list (not very wide distribution, however)

Garretson Wine Company

Hug Cellars

Linne Calodo Cellars

Maloy O'Neill Vineyards

Tablas Creek Vineyard

These have somewhat wider distribution

Treana Winery

Peachy Canyon Winery

Meridian Vineyards

EOS Estate Winery

J. Lohr Vineyards

Justin Vineyards

Keep in mind, however, that these are wineries located in the Paso Robles area. Many others will make wine from grapes grown in the Paso Robles area even though the winery itself is located elsewhere.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

In addition to the ones mentioned, I'd add Saxum. Justin Smith's Broken Stones is somewhat easier to find than his Bone Rock. Both are good though I prefer the Bone Rock. BS goes for around $40 (though I saw a recent write-up list it at $70), BR goes for $70-$75.

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

As a wine lover, you couldn't be from a better area...well, you could...but we think Pasa Robles is a hidden paradise of quality grapes in an amazing micro-climate. :cool: Always excellent quality and whenever we see the name, it always sways us to purchase.

So....seeing as we are here visiting...What are your Pasa Robles best bet red wines from $15.00-75.00?

We like full bodied, layered, fruit forward but sophisticated, good tannin on the finish reds.

Wow. Thank you! I hope you will soon be seeing more Paso Robles wines in your area. Our vintners' association received a marketing grant this year from California International Market Promotion for Agriculture (CIMPA), and we are using all the funds to market Paso wines to western Canada, and to host Canadian distributors here in Paso.

Brad and derricks have covered a lot of my favorite wines here in Paso. A few other small-production wineries that are my personal favorites are Changala, L'Aventure, Pretty-Smith, and Halter Ranch. Steve Glossner, the winemaker at Halter Ranch, was the winemaker who produced Justin Winery's highest scoring wines. He is working with fruit from MacGillivray Ranch in the far northwest corner of Paso, where Justin also acquires their fruit. A very talented and meticulous winemaker.

My favourite is the Ridge Zindandel Paso Robles, but there are many other great wines.

jackal, if you like the Ridge Dusi Zin, you may also like our Old Vine Zinfandel, Benito Dusi Vineyard.

Ridge has been purchasing their Paso zin from Benito Dusi for 25 years. The vineyard is 80 years old, and Beni also sells some fruit to Dover Canyon, Cathy MacGregor, and Turley.

The total vineyard is referred to as "Dusi Ranch," and also includes his brother's half, Dante Dusi. A few decades ago, depressed by the low price of fruit, Dante got discouraged and ripped out his vines. He replanted about 15 years ago, but his portion is considerably younger than the Benito Dusi side, except for a few rows around the house. Therefore, you may see plenty of wineries with a "Dusi" designation, but if you're "in the know," you'll know which are Benito and which are Dante.

Beni, a 73-year-old bachelor, has lived and worked on the vineyard his grandfather planted all his life. It is dry-farmed, and head trained, and right beside Hwy 101. There's no sign, however. Beni figures, "if the vineyard's been here for 80 years, who needs a sign?"

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Make sure that you check out Norman Vineyards. They're a little off the beaten track, but the wines are simply fabulous and value priced ($20 range). Their Syrah, Cabernet 'Conquest', and more famous Zins are all awesome wines.

If you do swing by, say hi to Art for me!

Also, altough it they bear the simple 'California' appelation, a lot of the fruit from Treana Wineries' Liberty School range are sourced from Paso Robles. Their Syrah and Cabs are readily available in Canada, and are value-priced and quite nice, albeit simple, quaffers.

I am not a wine drinker but I know the owners of Maloy O'Neill and how dedicated they are to producing a superior product. Their wines are winning awards against tough competition and are reasonably priced.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Marc and Maggie at Windward Vineyards are producing a Pinot Noir that goes for about $30 and is just as easy on the palate as the wallet. Paso events coming up include Zin Festival March 18-20, 23rd Annual Wine Festival May 20-22 and Harvest Fest in October. It's all good!

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Rebel Rose:

I'd love to try your Old Vine Zinfandel, Benito Dusi Vineyard, if only I knew how to get some in the UK!

Ditto for me, in Nebraska!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Wow. Thank you! I hope you will soon be seeing more Paso Robles wines in your area. Our vintners' association received a marketing grant this year from California International Market Promotion for Agriculture (CIMPA), and we are using all the funds to market Paso wines to western Canada, and to host Canadian distributors here in Paso.

That's excellent news Rose.

It's a fairly big market up here for red wines and marketed the right way, and at the right price (especially now that the Canadian $ is stronger), it could be a much easier sell than two years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of recommendations, I've printed them all out and we will be looking for them the next time we are in the States (or hopefully our long awaited trip to Pasa Robles).

I found the EOS...Petite Sirah today in Vancouver (although they had reduced it at month end which usually means that it will be discontinued).

We'll let it rest, open it and report back.

I think I've tried it before though.

Didn't it used to have a purple funky label, and now has just a giant EOS?

Thanks so much for the input.

cm

Edited by Chef Metcalf (log)

PS

No one mentioned Tobin James.

Is it really bad wine?

Is it from Pasa Robles?

We thought it was fantastic!

We ordered it off the menu in a little french type bistro place in Scottsdale (just up and over the street from the loud Mexican tourist place...I think :huh: ...where we ran away too after the Mexican place). :biggrin:

Oh shit, too long ago!

Does the winery name ring a bell?

Or did we just write it down wrong? I'm sure it was from PR and it was excellent quality. One fine Zinfandel!

cm

Ah, what's not to love about Tobin James? Especially the people, who are really friendly and fun. The only reason I didn't mention Toby or Art Norman is because I don't really think of them as small anymore. They are each producing 30,000 and 15,000 cases respectively. TJ in particular may be a wine you will be able to find in Vancouver in the near future.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Ah, what's not to love about Tobin James?  Especially the people, who are really friendly and fun.  The only reason I didn't mention Toby or Art Norman is because I don't really think of them as small anymore.  They are each producing 30,000 and 15,000 cases respectively.  TJ in particular may be a wine you will be able to find in Vancouver in the near future.

A chance to share one of my favorite stories. A few years ago I struck up a conversation with Tobin James in the tasting room. He started talking about some land he purchased across the road.

TJ: I am going to open up a B and D

Me: What is a B and D?

TJ: A bed and donut

Me: You mean Bed and Breakfast?

TJ: No, Bed and Donut, I will be damned if I am going to cook anyone breakfast :biggrin:

TJ is an incredibly nice guy who loves spending time behind the antique bar in the tasting room. When I was there a bought a few bottles of the dessert Zinfandel. a good not great inexpensive dessert wine in a very cool bottle.

I wonder if he every opened up the B and D?

I really like the petite syrah that David Bruce (Santa Cruz Mtns) makes from Paso Robles grapes. Individual vineyards are Shell Creek and Shandon Hills.

The wines are dark, rich and smooth; firm tannin backbone which is nicely balanced with enough fruit.

It's been too long since I've actually visisted vineyards there; need to visit soon and do some serious tasting!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I am a big fan of Wild Horse. Fairly good quality to value. Really enjoyed the 2000 Tempranillo. I wish I could find more.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

I would second many of these suggestions -- Tobin James Ballistic and Norman Zins are favorites of ours. Also, Wild Horse and L'Aventure, and of course Pretty Smith, whose winery is so far north in the county I think we were the only tasters they had the weekend we went.

Anyway, I'd add Eberle to the list, though perhaps they're too large a distribution for inclusion here. I love their Cabs and they have an awesome Rose of Syrah.

The guy at Zin Alley makes good Zins and Zin Port (that's all he makes). He's not on the map, but he's just north of a deli off 46W. Delicious, both $40 bottles.

I like Midnight Cellars and Grey Wolf in Paso as well. The Grey Wolf Grenache is great but you can only get it at the winery right now, I think.

Enjoy!

"I can sit down, resolved to be moderate, determined to eat and drink lightly, and be there three hours later, nursing my wine and still open to temptation."

Peter Mayle, Toujours Provence

• 2 weeks later...

Dover Canyon's Benito Dusi vineyard zin is very good. My favorite though is ZinAlley's zinfandel.

If you're going over to Iron Horse there is also BellaLuna on the left just before you get there. Don't blink though or you'll miss it. They make 2 wines. Both are very nice and Sangiovese is the primary grape. Their Fighter Pilot is my main choice. That one is 75% Ssngiovese 25% Zinfandel. I also like the Cab Franc at Carmody-McKnight.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo