• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Callebaut Chocolate

maxmillan

While salivating my way though Daniels Chocolates, I noticed that they sell bricks of Callebaut. The saleswoman told me that these are of better quality than the Callebaut sold at the Superstore bulk bins. Is that true? Does Callebault make different grades of dark chocolate (the kind I usually buy at Superstore.)

I didn't post this in the baking section as I am hoping people could direct me to where to get the best Callebaut dark chocolate in Vancouver (if there is, indeed, a better quality one.) I'm also assuming that Daniels prices could be better.

Thanks.

Sorry but I honestly didn't notice about any various grades (presumably you can check percentages? of cocoa) but I know that Gourmet Warehouse at about $16/kg for bittersweet sells for less than Urban Fare at about $20/kg (or am I thinking kg or lb? sorry but a bit tipsy and the labels are long gone...I just bought around 5 lbs of Callebaut. I know it was around 16 bucks for whichever unit at Gourmet Warehouse and about 20 for the same unit at Urban Fare, but that's probably not a fair comparison).

Edit for drunken posting; have remembered that the 500 gr chunk that was on my counter had a $10 label on it, so Gourmet Warehouse was even more pricey than I thought; I assume that the Urban Fare price is higher still. A little bird told me that the Stupor Store could be a good (cheap) place to go, as well.

The 70% Scharffen Berger that GW sells at $32/kg or so is the bomb, though...put some of that in your mix to get that extra dense richness. It may totally change a recipe that doesn't expect it though, if it's the only chocolate you use (the Mario Batali Valpolicella Chocolate pudding I made, which ended up being almost too thick to eat with a spoon...)

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

The K811 is what most restaurants receive from general suppliers. It is of a quality that is agreeable to the general public. If you want a better quality or a better flavour, you should talk to someone like Greg Hook at Chocolate Arts. He may be able to steer you in the right direction.

I personally prefer Valrhona to Callebeaut. :smile:

As i have never bought Callebeaut at Superstore I wouldn't know the grade. The other thing is that they sell it in bulk...and the grade is on the packaging...usually a 5 kg block.

If you really want to know what you are getting, I would suggest asking the manager at wherever you buy. Daniel's would know for sure what they have. Superstore probably wouldn't.

Gourmet Warehouse would most likely know....and as i said before....Greg at Chocolate Arts is very knowledgeable. He is also a great guy, and uses some Callebeaut in his store.

And I will say it again. Valrhona over Callebeaut any day. Guanaja, Caribe and Tana Riva. :biggrin:

Does anyone know where there's a good selection of Valrhona chocolate bars in town? When Urban Fare first opened they used to have a standalone refrigerated Valrhona chocolate display. You used to be able to buy about a dozen different kinds of chocolate bars. I've kept all the round metal tins because they're handy for storing lots of other things.

Someone left the cake out in the rain ...

IIRC, what they have at Superstore is the 835, about 54% cocoa.

It's not a truly superlative chocolate, but it's certainly adequate to be the day-to-day chocolate for most purposes.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Does anyone know where there's a good selection of Valrhona chocolate bars in town?  When Urban Fare first opened they used to have a standalone refrigerated Valrhona chocolate display.  You used to be able to buy about a dozen different kinds of chocolate bars.  I've kept all the round metal tins because they're handy for storing lots of other things.

Gourmet Warehouse usually has a pretty good selection.

Does anyone know where there's a good selection of Valrhona chocolate bars in town?  When Urban Fare first opened they used to have a standalone refrigerated Valrhona chocolate display.  You used to be able to buy about a dozen different kinds of chocolate bars.  I've kept all the round metal tins because they're handy for storing lots of other things.

Gourmet Warehouse usually has a pretty good selection.

As does Meinhardt at 14th and Granville.

Valrhona chocolate bars are also available at Chocolate Arts on West 4th Avenue. Upside of going there is sampling all their other tasty chocolate treats!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

El Rey is a good alternative to Valhrona. It is sold at Whole Foods, in West Van.

Approx. 15% cheaper (for pros), and the quality is on par.

Good things about it:

Single origin (Venezuela)

Will soon be Fair-trade & Organic. They are waiting for the certifications, but already work following the principles of sustainable farming and fair wages for the farmers.

Dont use additives, and dont mix in Forastero beans (inferior quality cocoa), unlike some Callebaut chocolates.

We can always do a tart degustations and compare the Apamate 73.5% with the Araguani 72% !

:smile:

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Chocolate ganache cake. Pane from Heaven. Absolutely insanely good. Picked up a couple of mini-cakes to bring to a dinner party and they were worth every damn morsel. Would've licked the plates if I'd had the opportunity, but the kids stole that chance from me! Pane from Heaven also had some killer-looking chocolate tarts that I'll have to sample sooner rather than later. If the chocolate ganache cake was any indication, the tarts will be insanely good!

Go. Run. Try them out. Now. And bring me a couple while you're at it! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Ling, Callebaut chocolate is Callebaut chocolate, there are different types but they are all of the same quality, the brand will not change because of a different store and maybe cheaper price, they might buy more so the price will be cheaper.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook