• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants owned by women

etnea

Help!

Where can I get a list of restaurants either owned by women or that have women chefs that are located in NYC!

Thank you.

I have visited Women Chefs site and gotten some information, but I need to know if I can visit other sites.

Thank you all!

Help!

Where can I get a list of restaurants either owned by women or that have women chefs that are located in NYC!

Thank you.

I have visited Women Chefs site and gotten some information, but I need to know if I can visit other sites.

Thank you all!

Maybe we can help without finding a list.

50 Carmine - Sara Jenkins

Annisa - Anita Lo

Sapa - Patricia Yeo

Le Madri -- Patti Jackson

Here's an article Andrea Strong wrote on the subject for TONY.

How about pastry chefs? Do they count?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Sara Jenkins has left the kitchen at 50 Carmine in Greenwich Village says Florence Fabricant in the NY Times, Wednesday 26 January 2005

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Don't have a specific source for a list, but off the top of my head...

Julie Taras and Tasha Garcia of Little Giant.

Kay Chun, Share.

Gabrielle Hamilton, Prune.

Jenny Kwak, Do Hwa and Dok Suni.

Edited by mdhl (log)

Help!

Thank you.

Thank you all!

I am always interested in this type of information as well. As I am a 100% owned and operated female wine importer and distributor company in NY and NJ. I also do wine tasting events for Female empowerment groups, etc Women's Presidents Organization and they always look to do these type of events at these type of restaurants with me.

Bouquet du Vin

http://www.bouquetduvin.com

ameyer@bouquetduvin.com

Help!

Thank you.

Thank you all!

Maybe we can help without finding a list.

50 Carmine - Sara Jenkins

Annisa - Anita Lo

Sapa - Patricia Yeo

Le Madri -- Patti Jackson

Here's an article Andrea Strong wrote on the subject for TONY.

How about pastry chefs? Do they count?

Yes, pastry chefs count. Thank you.

Sara Jenkins has left the kitchen at 50 Carmine in Greenwich Village says Florence Fabricant in the NY Times, Wednesday 26 January 2005

Oh no! I really like her food. Now I'll have to find her again.

I'm not sure, but what about Mary's Fish Camp and Pearl Oyster Bar?

Pearl's chef is Rebecca Charles, but I'm not sure about Mary's (which by the way is opening a branch in Brooklyn).

Amy Scherber at Amy's Bread

Lidia Bastianich!

Odette Fada at San Domenico (is she still there?)

Nancy Olson, pastry chef at Django and BLT Fish

Mina Azad at Angon on the Sixth

Katy Sparks, ex-Compass (where is she now?)

Arlene Weston at Maroon's

Norma Jean Darden at Miss Mamie's

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Katy Sparks is currently working on her cookbook and is working on a project with Balduccis for its takeaway department.

Mary Redding owns Mary's Fish Camp.

All chefs, including the pastry chef, at Pure are female.

If pastry chefs count, we can go on forever.

Heather Carlucci Rodriguez (don't know the name of the restaurant she's working on right now but it's on the savory side)

Karen DeMasco, Craft

Elizabeth Katz, Vento/Fiamma

Nicole Kaplan, Eleven Madison Park

Jennifer Giblin, Blue Smoke

Emily Isaac, Union Square Cafe

Deborah Snyder, Lever House

Deborah Racicot, Gotham Bar and Grill

Rebecca Masson, The Red Cat

And maybe when I decide to go back to work, you can add me.

Teresa's, my much-appreciated local Polish diner, is in fact owned by a woman named Teresa. I don't know her last name, but I have had some conversations with her.

Michael aka "Pan"

alexandra guarnaschelli, butter

laura maioglio, barbetta

charleen badman and ann rosenzweig, inside

sue torres, suenos

patricia williams, formerly of morrells

vera tong, pastry chef, sushi samba

margherita aloi, arezzo

Katy Sparks is currently working on her cookbook and is working on a project with Balduccis for its takeaway department.

Mary Redding owns Mary's Fish Camp.

All chefs, including the pastry chef, at Pure are female. 

If pastry chefs count, we can go on forever.

Heather Carlucci Rodriguez (don't know the name of the restaurant she's working on right now but it's on the savory side)

Karen DeMasco, Craft

Elizabeth Katz, Vento/Fiamma

Nicole Kaplan, Eleven Madison Park

Jennifer Giblin, Blue Smoke

Emily Isaac, Union Square Cafe

Deborah Snyder, Lever House

Deborah Racicot, Gotham Bar and Grill

Rebecca Masson, The Red Cat

And maybe when I decide to go back to work, you can add me.

I look forward to extending the list. Thank you for your information.

I noticed that Gina Di Palma was listed for Babbo, and though she is an excellent pastry chef let's not forget Elisa Sarno who is the AM Sous-chef at Babbo and has been described as "the heart and soul" of of that restaurant (by none other than the chef and owner). What about Maryann Terillo and her sous-chef Kim Naphegyi over at Restaurant Jarnac? Maggie Moore, who was the chef at Kamodo. oh, there are so many women...and to think 20 years ago the question was why would there be women in professional kitchens? did we really want to sweat that much?

WCR does have a website. Also, I believe that Mary Cleaver (owner of the Cleaver Company and The Green Table cafe in Chelsea Market) hosts some networking events for women chefs...

Amy's Bread, also in Chelsea Market, is woman-owned and operated, and so is Mary's Off Jane, my favorite little local bakery...I guess those are more small businesses, though.