• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

That's correct - no baby chickens (or ducks) were harmed in the making of this cake :) I was tempted to add an egg thinking the base recipe wrong, but no need since they turned out moist, bouncing, yet dense in a good-oily kind of way. The only question with the recipe is that I'm at 6,500 feet, so I do altitude adjustments - kind of - but the recipe is written for flatlanders.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Any chance you can share the recipe or maybe direct me to a good one, for the whoopie pies?Tha Balzano apple cake looks scrumptios.

Hi!

I tried several recipes for the cake rounds, and was not crazy about any of them. Then I tried a recipe from one of Desaulnier's books, maybe it was Death by Chocolate, and I think the recipe was for cookies for ice-cream sandwiches. I liked that much better, and that's what's shown in the picture. I'll look and see if I can find the recipe online somewhere.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

That's correct - no baby chickens (or ducks) were harmed in the making of this cake :)  I was tempted to add an egg thinking the base recipe wrong, but no need since they turned out moist, bouncing, yet dense in a good-oily kind of way.  The only question with the recipe is that I'm at 6,500 feet, so I do altitude adjustments - kind of - but the recipe is written for flatlanders.

I have to try this!

Question: does it have to be olive oil or can I sub canola?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Patrick, love to know any secrets you'd care to reveal about your photo technique-especially how you get such great focus on in the forefront and a softer look in the back. The photos are definately professional cookbook quality.

Fresh rhubarb finally came down in price and the strawberries looked quite good, so I made some Strawberry-Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars yesterday.

gallery_51259_4126_69598.jpg

The fresh strawberries and rhubarb combo, among my favorite spring things... those look tasty.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

RE: Thyme Torta

Interestingly enough I just had a customer who explained the vinegar and baking soda process in this cake. She is gluten-free and rises all of her baked products in this way. So by using olive oil as the fat, the vinegar/soda riser counteracts the oil/heaviness of the olive oil. I learn something new every day!

Lemon Rosemary Crust with Rosemary Pastry Cream - very yummy!

gallery_41282_4652_39658.jpg

Rose Panna Cotta with Rose Syrup

For this I steeped a great rose (not hip) tea in my milk first.

gallery_41282_4652_13994.jpg

Chestnut Olive Oil Cake with Fleur de Sel Caramel filling and chocolate glaze

gallery_41282_4652_34129.jpg

BTW, this is my first use of ImageGullet to make sure pics stay posted here for ever and ever. It was easy - I would encourage everyone to do the same so we don't have dead links in the future.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

The rosemary wasn't too strong - I had some young leaves that I chopped. The base recipe is from the new Pastry Art & Design...modified of course. I ended up re-making that recipe for dessert tonight in larger form.

Lately my desserts have all been from the garden, and everything I'm pulling is the young leaf or bud. Seems to be a good choice so far.

Becca - love the spidey cupcakes! :biggrin: Youngest son was clamoring for me to make him some.

Too bad, I have no ingredients for frosting... So we just had Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes...

gallery_48583_3741_337751.jpg

Moist, soft, chocolatey inside... :wub:

gallery_48583_3741_347753.jpg

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Chestnut Olive Oil Cake with Fleur de Sel Caramel filling and chocolate glaze

gallery_41282_4652_34129.jpg

After being a recent convert to salted caramels, and chestnuts are in season here at the moment, I'd love to attempt something like this - would you share the recipe or the source? Thanks!

After being a recent convert to salted caramels, and chestnuts are in season here at the moment, I'd love to attempt something like this - would you share the recipe or the source?  Thanks!

I'll get it posted in RecipeGullet today. Let me know how it works out.

EDITED TO ADD: Here it is.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Rose Panna Cotta with Rose Syrup

For this I steeped a great rose (not hip) tea in my milk first.

gallery_41282_4652_13994.jpg

The red spot on top is the rose syrup, right? And do you use an only cream recipe? I prefer 1:1 milk to cream.

Btw, I split and filled the Chocolate Canola Oil Cake with pastry cream--the pastry cream was a disaster, and I will now just stick with the PH recipe.

It's good, but I think it's needs a teeny bit less baking soda (I can smell it). It doesn't have that awful chemical smell chocolate cakes made only with cocoa and no chocolate have. I will be making this again, so thanks for sharing, gfron!

Also, if you bake it in a 9 inch pan, it takes more than 45 minutes. Underbaking gives you a sticky, almost gooey cake, which isn't necessarily a bad thing--I know this because I underbaked it.

I might make self-frosting cupcakes with the batter tomorrow, because I still have left over pastry cream.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

The red spot on top is the rose syrup, right? And do you use an only cream recipe? I prefer 1:1 milk to cream.

Btw, I split and filled the Chocolate Canola Oil Cake with pastry cream--the pastry cream was a disaster, and I will now just stick with the PH recipe.

It's good, but I think it's needs a teeny bit less baking soda (I can smell it). It doesn't have that awful chemical smell chocolate cakes made only with cocoa and no chocolate have. I will be making this again, so thanks for sharing, gfron!

Also, if you bake it in a 9 inch pan, it takes more than 45 minutes. Underbaking gives you a sticky, almost gooey cake, which isn't necessarily a bad thing--I know this because I underbaked it.

The red spot is the syrup...just used to zoom up the flavor a bit. And this panna cotta used 3 C. half and half with 1 C cream - I'm not one to worry about health or weight :rolleyes:

Glad to know you made it work. In general I think in individual servings so my translations to 9" or other larger formats is a guess at best, plus you always have to determine what effect altitude will have, although I do normally post sea level recipes.

BTW, my other favorite easy pastry cream recipe is from Dorie's book with Julia Child. Its a microwave version that I've yet to have fail. Its not quite as refined as PH's, but no one has ever noticed when I've served it to them and its done in minutes with little effort on my part.

After being a recent convert to salted caramels, and chestnuts are in season here at the moment, I'd love to attempt something like this - would you share the recipe or the source?  Thanks!

I'll get it posted in RecipeGullet today. Let me know how it works out.

EDITED TO ADD: Here it is.

Thank you!

lenabo, I'm not JOe, but you can check out the recipe (as well as his excellent blog) here:

http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05...hiffon-pie.html

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

lenabo, I'm not JOe, but you can check out the recipe (as well as his excellent blog) here:

http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2005/05...hiffon-pie.html

Thanks!

Last night we had some more of the blueberry cheesecake I made on Saturday.

gallery_51259_4126_33993.jpg

Tonight we had some of the chocolate chip rugelach I made earlier in the day... I've never made rugelach before, so I couldn't compare them to anything - but they were pretty tasty!

gallery_51259_4126_6321.jpg