• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

That looks festive, Megan! Are the seeds sprinkled on pastry cream?

Thanks, Ling!

Yup, the seeds were sprinkled in the pastry cream before it set up all the way...

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Patrick,

Your macaroons are so beautiful that I want to make a tray of assorted flavors for my New Year's Eve party. I was wondering where you got your other recipes (for the lemon and pistachio) and if you could speak about how you make the various fillings. Also, do you bake them on Silpat/parchment/metal sheet pans? Thanks!

Here was dessert after the Christmas dinner: Pecan Chantilly from The Simple Art of Perfect Baking. I was a little dissappointed at the flavor - a bit muted. Then I tried a bit that had been left out and was at room temperature, and it was a completely different experience: the pecan shone through and the flavor balance was perfect. Next time I'll figure out in advance what temperature shows off the flavors and textures to their best advantage. But overall, I was pretty happy with how it came out.

chantilly1.jpg

chantilly2.jpg

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The glaze is really shiny, isn't it? It's the cocoa glaze from The Simple Art of Perfect Baking and I can see using it for all kinds of things. It stays shiny, can be refrigerated again and again in between, and is delicious to boot.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The glaze is really shiny, isn't it? It's the cocoa glaze from The Simple Art of Perfect Baking and I can see using it for all kinds of things. It stays shiny, can be refrigerated again and again in between, and is delicious to boot.

Is it possible to get the recipe for the glaze? It does look great!

Patrick,

Your macaroons are so beautiful that I want to make a tray of assorted flavors for my New Year's Eve party. I was wondering where you got your other recipes (for the lemon and pistachio) and if you could speak about how you make the various fillings. Also, do you bake them on Silpat/parchment/metal sheet pans? Thanks!

Lochina,

The lemon macaroons were made using a recipe from Will Cotton that was published in the NYT. The lemon cream is Pierre Herme's recipe, which you can probably find on this site via the search function (if not, PM me for it). Unfortunately, I can not recommend that recipe -- the macarons were too flat and too crunchy. If you try that recipe, I recommend that you shorten the baking time.

The pistachio macaroons were made using the recipe from Ala Cuisine, substituting shelled, unsalted pistachios in place of almonds. Another variation that works great is subbing ground hazelnuts for almonds and filling with either Nutella or Gianduja chocolate or semisweet chocolate mixed with some praline paste.

I always bake on parchment placed over an insulated baking sheet.

Good luck, and happy New Year's!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Yes, the baker gets ALL the extra crust!  :wink:

Hey, I never knew that rule! :shock: Every person in my family prefers the crust to the fillings. I've seen sad-looking crustless pies in my days.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

A couple of days ago:

whole orange & almond cake (Claudia Roden recipe). It's one of my favorites. So moist and juicy, and it keeps well (tastes even better after a couple of days).

And a whole tub of mascarpone spread on top :smile:

ardennentaart.jpg

A couple days ago I tried Chufi's Sugar Bread. Very delicious!! Unfortunately I was watching a movie in the basement at the same time it was rising and cooking and I ended up underbaking it a bit. It was still good and I'll definitely make it again. My husband even liked it and he's not a big fan of cinnamon roll type flavours unless there's lots of cream cheese icing but the rock sugar just gave it that bit extra that made it delicious just toasted with butter.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Yes, the baker gets ALL the extra crust!   :wink:

Hey, I never knew that rule! :shock: Every person in my family prefers the crust to the fillings. I've seen sad-looking crustless pies in my days.

I encourage you to enforce the rule immediately! And remember to include all the "extra" goodies--extra caramel, extra ganache, extra buttery graham crumbs from cheesecakes--they're all yours, baby! :laugh::wink:

Ling, I deserve to be smacked.

Despite your saying over and over again how yummy Korova Cookie dough is, I forgot to try some before sticking the dough in the freezer. :laughing:

No worries--do what I would do; make another batch of dough immediately, grab a spoon, and eat! :raz:

Gâteau de Chocolat, lemon tart and creme brûlé. Sorry for the plastic, its a party.

gallery_38003_2183_231398.jpg

and a Happy and sweet New Year to all.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.