• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

That's really cool jumanggy. Looks great and I bet it tastes awesome.

Thanks for the compliment. My inspiration was a song title. The band NoFX did a punk-ish, rocked up version of the song "All of Me" and titled it "Olive Me". I always thought that was kinda cool. The candied olives are just sliced black olives that I soaked overnight in sugar syrup and oven dried. They have a crunchy but not hard texture and taste sweet with a light olive flavor and a distinct background licorice/anise taste that I didn't expect to find. I did the cake like a pineapple upside down cake but used a lemon-olive oil cake and candied olive slices instead of pineapple and plated it with a bit of olive oil. The nibs are just chopped up candied olives. The mousse, I shaped into "olives" then drizzled with olive oil and a bit of sea salt.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

gallery_48830_4010_69806.jpg

here are some delicious florentins i recently made

just honey, caramel and almonds over a pate sucrée base

gallery_48830_4010_103863.jpg

no peels or chocolate!

x fanny

Really gorgeous, Fanny! Mmmmmm.... Where's that 'Drool' emoticon? :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Tri2cook- your Olive me is amazing! Absolutely gorgeous! And Jumanggy your plated dessert is art! I wish I could taste it-ohhhh!! It is my style!! Fanny, your floretins are just lovely! They are so perfect!! If I could live my life over I would become a pastry chef!! The beauty of all your desserts really does something to me. I could just look and look!! (well if I could I would eat and eat!!)

Olive Me:

gallery_53467_5170_21593.jpg

lemon-olive oil cake w/ candied olives

olive oil ice cream

candied olive nibs

chocolate-olive oil mousse

Tri2Cook, that is such an inspiration. I love olive oil in my desserts and that ice cream looks very tempting.

Fanny, your floretins are just lovely! They are so perfect!! If I could live my life over I would become a pastry chef!! The beauty of all your desserts really does something to me. I could just look and look!! (well if I could I would eat and eat!!)

I so wish I were a pastry chef too. Maybe one day... Who knows?

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

...Here's my first attempt at a plated dessert and also my first attempt at an entremet. I called it a "Maya Gold", inspired by the organic chocolate bar that I wanted to play with.

gallery_53129_4592_11087.jpg

That's orange creme brulee with dark chocolate orange mousse and fudge brownie base (if I had tons of money, I would've added Grand Marnier in there somewhere to drive the point home), then glazed. Decor is candied orange peel and caramel, uh, thingies. Just to keep with the pyramid-jewel-theme. Bitten through:

gallery_53129_4592_20129.jpg

I'm really tired! :laugh:

First attempt ? First smashing success, wipe the green with envy drool off the keyboard. Wowzers. How you gonna follow that one up. Whe-ew.

Fanny, that close up is killer!

Tri2Cook, umm, candied olives? Could you, without revealing state secrets, talk about those a bit?

Edited to add>> Tri2, I found your description

The candied olives are just sliced black olives that I soaked overnight in sugar syrup and oven dried. They have a crunchy but not hard texture and taste sweet with a light olive flavor and a distinct background licorice/anise taste that I didn't expect to find.

Wow again.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Tri2Cook - I hope you don't mind if I take a cue from Rob and abbreviate your name to T2C :laugh: if for no other reason than the fact that you're no longer "trying" if you're excelling!

K8 - After months of going over these forums, I picked up a little something I guess :smile: Imagine my horror when Chef Dean (chiantiglace) mentions here that no plated dessert can be simpler than his biscuit-mousse-creme brulee creation, hahaha! Well, gotta start somewhere. I've been reading Tish Boyle's Grand Finales (Neoclassic view of plated desserts) in the bookstore (it costs $73-- to much for me) and I've picked up some new inspiration, I only hope I can pull through. It's very intimidating for me! As T2C mentions above, the olives are soaked overnight in syrup and oven-dried.

I've been wanting to open a topic about dessert professional-oriented websites (either here in P&B or in Food on the Internet), but I'm more afraid of criticism for some reason (that website is crap, the recipes are bad, it hinders imagination, it's a rip-off, etc). So I'll wait till one asks..

Fanny - I read your blog post too, I've never had a Florentine but now I'm very curious (just for yours-- they look very classy). Pierre Herme does his square and half-dipped in chocolate with orange peel, right? What do you think of those?

Rob - haha, it is more a triumph of styling than anything else, and even then, during the plating I don't think a dessert has ever been told "F***!!" more times in human history (though many P&B regulars might step up and claim otherwise). GTO's given me a lot of tips.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Some gorgeous stuff, y'all! I am totally humbled. Now that I finally have a working camera and have figured out how to re-size my images so that I can post them here(thanks, Chris), I thought I'd just use this thread to post all of the stuff that I made for the holidays:

Iced Almonds - amazingly easy and really, really good - I added hot sauce to one of the batches and topped with coarsely ground sea salt:

gallery_34972_5436_118768.jpg

The dessert spread on Christmas Eve:

gallery_34972_3570_100943.jpg

Calipoutine's Magic Brownies:

gallery_34972_3570_164881.jpg

Oatmeal Raisinettes and Chocolate Chocolate Chips:

gallery_34972_3570_121009.jpg

Lemon Chess Tarts & Mince Tarts (Ted Fairhead made the mince tarts):

gallery_34972_3570_1418.jpg

Three kinds of fudge:

gallery_34972_3570_163517.jpg

Peanut Butter Cookies & Pecan Turtles:

gallery_34972_3570_46304.jpg

Sugar Cookies:

gallery_34972_3570_30630.jpg

Candied Pecans:

gallery_34972_3570_85056.jpg

I still have some of most of this in the freezer! Items are going every day to work with us to be finished up by someone else :laugh: !

Kim

Florida Pie from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

gallery_30767_5564_8743.jpg

gallery_30767_5564_155193.jpg

gallery_30767_5564_106180.jpg

Taken with my "high quality" cameraphone :rolleyes:

Delicious, but, quite rich...

This is something that should be made on special occasions only as I'm sure I sent my relatives home with at least 5 extra pounds :biggrin:

a very hungry college kid

hey Mota - since I'm the only person in the universe who doesn't have that book - what is the filling?  It looks really, really good.

Don't feel too bad, I borrowed it from the library

The filling contains 1/2 c Lime Juice(key lime if it is available), a 14 oz can of Condensed milk, and 4 egg yolks

a very hungry college kid

Here's a rotten picture of a lovely tart we made Saturday night: pate sable, creme patissiere with almonds, blackberries and blueberries. Our guests growled.

gallery_6375_3224_277316.jpeg

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Really awesome stuff everybody. Fanny, you can send a box of those my way if you need to get rid of them. :biggrin:

Inspired by following the adventures of Kerry, Rob and Verjuice in the Silver City Culinary Extravaganza thread...

Tres Amigos

gallery_53467_5170_43195.jpg

nopales and new mexico chile sorbet

prickly pear foa... errr... froth! (that was close, I almost said "foam")

mole paper

passion fruit pearls

mole soil

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks! It sounded like you were all having a huge amount of fun and it inspired me to play with some southwest flavors.

nopales and new mexico chile sorbet:

pureed and strained nopales (unfortunately, from a jar), new mexico chile powder (I would have prefered to use fire roasted new mexico puree but no fresh new mexicos available here), agave nectar, a bit of lemon and a pinch of salt

prickly pear foa... errr... froth:

prickly pear juice, xanthan gum, methylcellulose

mole paper:

wonton skin painted with a mixture of ancho and poblano chile oil, cocoa, melted chocolate and a bit of cinnamon, baked until crispy

passion fruit pearls:

used the oil spherification technique for these, just passion fruit juice and agar dripped into freezing cold oil

mole soil:

the paint for the "paper" powdered with tapioca maltodextrin

WOW! Out of control indeed. I had to look up "nopales" :raz: I've never heard of it.

Most of the processes are inaccessible to me, but that mole paper is just inspired. Well done.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

I have such a backlog of things I've baked the last while, that I hope you don't mind if I post up some "recent" bakes.

392116306_995234f780_d.jpg

Eggless Chocolate Cake with Coconut Buttercream Frosting

436518812_73a4a40acb_d.jpg

Banana Coconut Bread

528769942_e789406027_d.jpg

Gluten- & Dairy-free Peanut Butter Cookies

528769970_7bc2b5e28b_d.jpg

Pierre Hermé's Suzy's Cake

544086097_81f08a28a1_d.jpg

Emily Luchetti's Black Forest Brownies with Mocha Ganache

More of those baked treats...

1122855658_79450eada1_d.jpg

Chocolate cupcakes filled with surprises (aka a chunk of bubbly chocolate or fruit & nut chocolate) topped with chocolate, peanut butter or coconut buttercream

A personal fave:

1908607797_429b5f6eec_d.jpg

Perfect Blueberry Scone from Cook's Illustrated

1909451140_bd727ce928_d.jpg

... and a look inside that scone. :wub:

1954094417_bcf1edc0c1_d.jpg

Sesame Cookies

2096903488_e8dfb36b17_d.jpg

Flo Braker's S'More Squares

2132745007_8c9a9250d6_d.jpg

And my annual holiday (or any day) bake from La Pâtisserie de Pierre Hermé: Pierre Hermé's Sables Florentins

Edited by Renka (log)

Some of the sweets from the holiday parties/packages a few weeks back:

2133524468_3a40ee0818_d.jpg

Not pictured here are some tartlets that were filled with caramel, covered with 72% chocolate and topped with a peg of candied orange peel

2133527332_65116e96f4_d.jpg

Fig-Orange & Amaretti Tartlet with Pine Nuts (I used the amarretti I purchased from Pasticceria Marchini from my trip to Venice and Dalmatia's Fig Spread with Orange)

2133525472_f1bf7c2156_d.jpg

Coconut & Chestnut Cream Tartlet

2133526392_c010bf5107_d.jpg

Swiss Bettinas (walnut and caramel)

2133528318_4aefcc647b_d.jpg

Chocolate-Macadamia Nut Clusters

Boxed:

2132754941_7eb1eccc7d_d.jpg

The final packages that were ready to go (after a week devoted to baking 85 dozen minature sweets) :smile: :

2132760019_111a821145_d.jpg

I have such a backlog of things I've baked the last while, that I hope you don't mind if I post up some "recent" bakes.

Why of course I mind! :angry: I mind that you didn't share any of those delicious sweets with me! :biggrin: And I'm sure you have more pictures in your backlog--post those, too!

544086097_81f08a28a1_d.jpg

Emily Luchetti's Black Forest Brownies with Mocha Ganache

Even though I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, this one really speaks to me! It forced me to look up the recipe on the internet (I'm a big fan of Emily Luchetti recipes--I've never tried one that hasn't been a success--but I have none of her books!), and now that I have it...

Where did you get your cherries for this recipe at this time of year? I don't even think I could get frozen cherries in Japan right now (though if I could, do you think I could use those if I drained them well?). Do you think some sort of dried cherry substitution would work for the brownie? I could soak them in kirsch to plump them up if I had to. No cherry garnish, though.