• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

My weekend treat: last night I made what

have now been independently confirmed (by two people I did not have to bribe to say YUM) as delicious caramels seasoned with Thai curry spices and peanuts, inspired by the Thai curry brittle from morninggloryconfections.com. Tiny Thai chiles, galangal, ginger, Thai lime leaf, lemongrass, coconut milk, and a spicy gingery aftertaste that has my mouth dancing with joy.

Thai Curry Caramels

. . . . I didn't realise that Krusty the Clown lives locally and is a tween wink.gif

tongue.gif The... inscription does lack the clarity of the one on your cake, which is remarkably pretty, by the way (I somehow managed to miss it, previously). Is that pistachio-flavoured marzipan?

Not the most flattering of plating but all the flavors fit with the PB&J theme that was requested. It's chocolate cake, peanut butter cream, salted caramel and cubes of strawberry and port.

7072747235_712b750879_c.jpg

Love the little red cubes! How did the strawberry and port mesh with the peanut butter and caramel pairing?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Is that pistachio-flavoured marzipan?

No, just dyed green with nasty chemicals. Same for this one: Number-one-son is into badminton, so he wants a badminton-cake to take to school. Could have made a cake-shuttle cock, but that is way to involved for a weekday

IMAG0734.jpg

No, just dyed green with nasty chemicals. Same for this one: Number-one-son is into badminton, so he wants a badminton-cake to take to school. Could have made a cake-shuttle cock, but that is way to involved for a weekday

IMAG0734.jpg

Wow, Mette, that would be borderline too involved for a weekend for me! And no way mine would come out looking so nice! You are great with a piping bag!

rosa_ginseng_pistacchio_castagno.jpg

This is my last experiment, the layers are: pistachio croquant, rose mousse, chestnut honey jelly, ginseng mousse, rose glaze. The decorations are white chocolate with ground pistachio on the sides, dehidrated rose buds on the top.

This cake took some efforts to get the correct balance, the chestnut honey tends to overcome the other flavours and destroy the whole effect, it just needs to be a "soft" background. Similar thing about pistachio, if it's not on the secondary level then it ruins the balance. I'm satisfied with the final result, and I love the ginseng-rose match, as usual I haven't invented anything new since I just discovered this match is well established in the soap industry.

Teo

Teo

IMAG0734.jpg

I'm pretty certain that the 'pistachio' flavoured marzipan is not naturally that colour! Regardless, the cakes look great, I'm sure they were hits.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

update on the hot candy -

dried chilis extract nicely into alcohol, and worked to flavor the candy.

The candy hits first w sweet, then a second or so later with considerable, uncomfortable heat. I took a peppercorn sized piece and had an uncomfortable 20 seconds, with at least 5 min of afterburn. My chilihead friend & tester ate a 1/4 tsp sized piece, smiled, then her eyes widened, and she ate a few nuts to help wash it down. There's very little flavor -

a bit of chili flavor, a bit of the brandy I used to extract with.

Overall, it accomplished the goal. And oddly, the recipient and I both prefer the onion flavored candy.

So, I might combine the two, to get the heat up.

First tho, I will try some other flavor with the heat, like lemon peel or loquat, and see if I can make that work.

Gonna have to get some neutral booze first.

The hot moves with the sugar, so its different than eating spicy food. It sits on the spot of your tongue where you placed the candy, then goes down your throat, and the more sensitive felt it all the way down their gullet. Oh my.

There's no spreading around even if the candy is sucked on a while. That's kind of odd. But useful.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 2 weeks later...

KA - interesting experiment. Mr. Kim would have loved being included in the 'test group'! He finds food bland if he doesn't start to sweat in less than a minute!

For a dinner party last night, I made Michael Ruhlman’s angel food cake, filled with lime curd and topped with a lime glaze:

med_gallery_3331_119_342903.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_266564.jpg

Fantastic, as always. But making it reminded me of something that I always wonder about when I make one. Every time that I make an angel food cake, no matter the recipe, I always get the same effect around the top of the cake – it is a little dip or trough. You can see it if you look closely. Any glaze that I put on always pools in the trough instead of gently dripping down the sides like I’d like it to. Does anyone else have this problem? And a solution?

I used to have that problem, then I started using a bundt pan for angel cakes (it even works when you want to fill them, so long as you've got a nice long cake knife or a cake-levelling saw).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

PC – I have a terrible time getting things out of Bundt pans. Especially something as light as an angel food cake.

Mjx – Actually, that’s what I usually do, too :smile: . But this time, since I was filling it, I thought it would look better with the wider part at the base and narrower part at the top (if that makes sense).

janeer – I guess I could be overbeating – I’m not sure that I know how to tell with an angel food cake. I know that the texture is perfect. And, yep, I do turn it over to cool.

Thanks, all for the assistance. Luckily what I made this past week didn’t have any issues at all. It is the second time that I’ve made this and both times, it turned out perfectly. For my mother’s birthday on Sunday:

med_gallery_3331_119_188417.jpg

Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake. Slice:

med_gallery_3331_119_211065.jpg

I made these for the upteenth time - Total chocolate decadence. (Note: There's a typo in the recipe - should be 1 1/4 cups flour NOT 1/4 cup.

Chocolate Espresso Chews:

http://www.washingto...6071301538.html

http://media3.washin...06071301541.jpg

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

PC – I haven’t tried a silicone bundt pan. I’ll see if I can find one.

For Mother’s Day dessert I made roasted strawberry coconut milk ice cream and Dream cookies (like shortbread):

med_gallery_3331_172_229078.jpg

med_gallery_3331_172_338738.jpg

med_gallery_3331_172_13021.jpg

The ice cream was absolutely delicious. I was lucky enough to find extremely ripe berries, so the strawberry flavor is perfect. The texture was a little icier than I would have liked. The ingredients are natural cane sugar, egg yolks, full fat coconut milk, strawberries and vanilla. Would using coconut milk instead of cream account for that? Or the new cheapo ice cream maker that we just bought? The flavor is so great that I don’t really care – I called it sorbet at the dinner!

Curls: Those Cinnamon rolls look professional...I'm sure you're using only the finest of ingredients... :-)

DianaM: The madelines look amazing - I could eat that entire plate - and the madelines too....

Curls: Those Cinnamon rolls look professional...I'm sure you're using only the finest of ingredients... :-)

DianaM: The madelines look amazing - I could eat that entire plate - and the madelines too....

RobertM, Just trying to showcase your fine cinnamon roll filling. May bake some cinnamon swirl bread next time!

So, after 6 trials and 2 days production, I finished 900 quinoa cupcakes for Cooking For Solutions at the Monterey Aquarium this weekend. The client we worked with sent a recipe, but it was a bust, so I had to come up with a substitute. They are just a yellow cake with cooked quinoa added. I frosted them with a chocolate stout frosting and topped them with crumbled bacon and chocolate sprinkles. They seemed to be a hit, but we had about half leftover. Better too much than too little I guess. There's way too much food there anyway, so people taste so much they get full fast. Just glad it's over.

009b.jpg