• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Patrick, that's the recipe from F&W, right?

I made it once and burned it, I think the cooking time in the recipe was totally off or my oven was.

I remade the cake and it was pretty good, but it never called out to me to make it again.

However, your pictures might make me change my mind- beautiful!

Yes, this is the recipe from Food and Wine.

I think the cake has made a much better impression on me than it did you! I'm sure this is something I'll make again.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Lemon meringue pie.........something went wrong though - three hours later it was weeping like it had lost a loved one!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Yesterday I had for dessert....a sliver of the following - apple brandy cake, german chocolate cake, and chocolate bunt cake decorated like a pumpkin.

Then I decided on a slab of chocolate bunt cake and grilled pineapple with maple chile caramel.

Also had chocolate bunt cake for breakfast today :biggrin:

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Tonight, Bill Yosse's white chocolate vanilla bean cake. I used Lindt white chocolate, 3 Tahitian vanilla beans, and a little extract on top of that. I can't wait to take a slice to my brother, who loves all things vanilla.

Patrick, those photos are absolutely exquisite. :wub:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I had an "Egg Twist" from a Chinese bakery--an eggy dough piped and twisted, fried, then covered in a light syrup. It was HUGE! (about 10" by 4". Impressive stats.  :wink: )

Ling, that sounds a lot like churros! (Maybe this is another one of those foods that every culture has -- like dumplings?) I'm surprised, given your love of chocolate, you didn't dunk the Egg Twist in hot chocolate, which is something I like to do with churros. Something for you to keep in mind for next time.

:smile:

At the end of a dinner party with friends, we poured glasses of Warre's Warrior Special Reserve Port and obliterated two Lindt bars (70% and 85%).

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

chufi - those cookies look delicious! any chance you'd give out the recipe?

kerry

Hi Kerry, ofcourse,

the recipe is here in RecipeGullet, recipe and demo with pictures are also in the Dutch Cooking thread (see the link in my signature)

Yes, I just got this and it seems I'm a very messy person when it comes to making spritz-type cookies. Dough was all over the place and the first few cookies were truly horrible looking. :wacko:

gallery_11814_1914_42986.jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

A cousin brought over a chocolate mousse cake she special ordered.

Oooey gooey.

gallery_11814_1914_270860.jpg

Along with some lemon curd tarts her 7 year old daughter made. The crust was so flaky and buttery. She also got creative with adorning them with mini chocolate chips and shredded cheddar cheese, she's so cute :wub:

gallery_11814_1914_116029.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Today it's the levelled tops of RLB's Golden Almond cake, a few spoons of Amaretto cream cheese frosting, lemon curd, and pie crust scraps (baked, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar)

Tomorrow's desserts: the cakes will be split in 4 layers, sandwiched and covered with the frosting, and a lemon meringue (Italian meringue) pie

ETA: One thing I did differently with the pie crust today was leave out the beaten egg and add about 2 tbsp of sour cream instead. The dough was more tender and very easy to work with. :smile: (I also usually add vinegar to my dough, but I didn't b/c there's a bit of acid in the sour cream already.)

Here's the cake...I'm didn't take a pic of the pie yet, because I'm doing the meringue at my aunt's house tomorrow.

(again, sorry about the messy kitchen and the foil...not to mention the awful platter I use to frost my cakes. The cake will go on my cake stand tomorrow. :smile: )

almondcake2.jpg

Edited by Ling (log)

Yesterday I made a Chocolate-Peanut Butter S'mores cake. (graham cracker crust, choclate cake, peanut butter and meringue toppings). Very rich and dense--had a slice last night and still feeling it today. Tasty, though.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science