• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I'm eating cake-leveling scraps from my first ever wedding cake, a 3-tiered white cake with vanilla buttercream which I made for a coworker.

And the pictures are . . . where? :cool:

I am no Chefpeon or K8memphis or JeanneCake in terms of cake decorating, and I doubt I'll ever even be close. I didn't even do any flowers or anything like that. But here's what it looked like:

gallery_23736_355_16363.jpg

Edited by Patrick S (log)

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Patrick, it's beautiful! I bet they loved it, too.

For me today, it's chocolate kirsch cake, brought home from work: two layers of devil's food cake, which is dandy all by itself, but made even better by a soaking with kirsch syrup and a chocolate kirsch mousse filling. You'd think I'd get sick of the stuff from work, but I don't.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Your cake looks beautiful Patrick! You are so brave. I would have been very nervous about doing a wedding cake. Did you arrange the flowers as well?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I didn't make it today, but I'm about to tuck into the last piece of ricotta pie in our fridge. The filling is made of ricotta, egg, sugar, raisins and candied orange peel (made using Andiesenji's microwave recipe) sandwiched between two layers of puff pastry. Topped with some cinammon sugar and reheated in our toaster oven, of course.

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Your cake looks beautiful Patrick! You are so brave. I would have been very nervous about doing a wedding cake. Did you arrange the flowers as well?

The mother and I did the flowers. She bought them and then we both put them on the cake. I was a little nervous, but I tried to think every step out ahead of time, and it all worked out well. The hard part was resisting the urge to swan-dive into the buttercream. I made 12 cups of it to put on the cake, and all I had was a little left on the beaters and utensils.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

We had friends over for dinner this weekend, and I went a little dessert-crazy: lemon meringue tartlets from "Sweet Miniatures", chocolate truffles dipped in bittersweet chocolate and in white chocolate, and an improvisation using chocolate souffle sheets, raspberry mousse, and fresh raspberries. Hard to cut cleanly but very yummy!

Tonight it will be fresh apple pie with apples from a co-worker's tree. I don't know what kind they are, but they're relatively tart. The pie's in the oven right now.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

We had homemade Peach Cobbler from local peaches, topped with homemade Creme Fraiche Ice Cream. The peaches were lightly scented with cinnamon and a touch of lemon zest. Yum, yum, yum. Dessert is my favorite meal. (Sometimes it's my only meal.)

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I made 2 desserts today for tomorrow's dinner....friends are coming over for my birthday and I love to cook, so I'm having a blast! I made Chocolate-Orange Mousse (from the Barefoot in Paris cookbook), and Cook's Illustrated's "Perfect Lemon Bars." I have tasted both and I am thrilled with the results. The lemon bars are truly perfect...the crust is excellent and the filling is just right.

I made Ling's brownie recipe, after a glance through recipegullet, yesterday.

I thought I would eat them for dessert, this week...

I'll be lucky if they last through tomorrow....

These brownies deserve a medal. :cool:

I think we have a terminologyh problem here.

WHat you have mostly been discussing is the sweet or pudding course.

Desert is served with or after the coffee at the end of the meal and might be cheese, or petit four, or fruit or all three.

I made damson cheese from the damsons on the tree in the garden. Sliced into small cubes and rolled in sugar as a comfit, they make excellent deserts.

Desert is served with or after the coffee at the end of the meal and might be cheese, or petit four, or fruit or all three.

We had these brownies with coffee at the end of the meal.

Whatever you call it, it's the best course. :biggrin:

Chacun a son gout......

I think we have a terminologyh problem here.

WHat you have mostly been discussing is the sweet or pudding course.

In the U.S. at least, pretty much no one defines dessert as being limited to the options of cheese, petit fours and fruit. 'Dessert' is used as a synonym for the sweet course.

Thanks for the link to Ling's brownie recipe....it sounds divine! Scharfeberger chocolate is soooo good, but quite pricey, so these will need to be special occasion brownies for sure.

One thought on that recipe, if Ling is out there....I find it much easier to follow a recipe when the ingredients are listed in the order they are used. Helps to ensure I don't forget anything! :smile:

I made Ling's brownie recipe, after a glance through recipegullet, yesterday.

I thought I would eat them for dessert, this week...

I'll be lucky if they last through tomorrow....

These brownies deserve a medal.  :cool:

Wow, such high praise! That made my day...thank-you! :wub:

Last night I had warm, flaky peach empanadas with peach-almond sorbet and a drizzle of raspberry sauce. It was heavenly.

Any chance you could share the recipe and instructions for peach empanadas or point me in the right direction? Just the thought of it is making my mouth water.

plain yoghurt and a teaspoon of damson and red wine jam (still warm from the pan) bliss.

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam