• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Pain au Chocolat, made with whiskey creme ganache.

PainChoc_zps15c5d681.jpg

That looks intriguing - and quite different from the Pain Chocolat I've had in the past. Tell us more.

I made this over 10 years ago. It was so delish and so much work :-) Thank goodness I've discovered a French bakery not too far away. However, they just don't put enough chocolate. Yours looks like there is chocolate throughout the dough. I'm sure it is heavenly!

My husband had a craving for chocolate so I made soft chocolate cakes with Valrhona chocolate.

8085141261_cc0cbb7893_z.jpg

The recipe is here; I've been using it for years. Instead of ramekins, I bake them in muffin tins lined with paper cups. They cook very fast and are ready in less than 10 minutes typically.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Finally something post-worthy....

The legendary Danish Othello layer-cake: Almond genoise, vanilla sponge, very rich pastry cream made with whipping cream instead of milk (and llightened with.....you guessed.....whipping cream) and finished with marzipan and chocolate - my hubby's 46 today :wub:

photo.JPG

Edited by Mette (log)

Finally something post-worthy....

The legendary Danish Othello layer-cake: Almond genoise, vanilla sponge, very rich pastry cream made with whipping cream instead of milk (and llightened with.....you guessed.....whipping cream) and finished with marzipan and chocolate - my hubby's 46 today :wub:

photo.JPG

My two favorite things: chocolate and marzipan!!!! See's Candy has a chocolate-covered marzipan candy that is so yummy!

A bit out there - but I made a pumpkin-themed dessert. The main component was the pumpkin ice cream recipe from this blog. However, I pressure cooked the pumpkin (for the ice cream puree) with baking soda first to get it nice and caramelized.

I also made a pumpkin wafer by dehydrating a mixture of fresh pumpkin puree, egg whites, confectioner's sugar, and xanthan gum (whip to foam then dehydrated). Cinnamon crumble and some pumpkin pie soda (Maine Root brand, very tasty) are also shown.

615624_10102468470676850_985514308_o.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)

A bit out there - but I made a pumpkin-themed dessert. The main component was the pumpkin ice cream recipe from this blog. However, I pressure cooked the pumpkin (for the ice cream puree) with baking soda first to get it nice and caramelized.

I also made a pumpkin wafer by dehydrating a mixture of fresh pumpkin puree, egg whites, confectioner's sugar, and xanthan gum (whip to foam then dehydrated). Cinnamon crumble and some pumpkin pie soda (Maine Root brand, very tasty) are also shown.

615624_10102468470676850_985514308_o.jpg

That's a lovely dessert! How did you dehydrate the pumpkin wafer? Low oven, microwave, something else?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

That's a lovely dessert! How did you dehydrate the pumpkin wafer? Low oven, microwave, something else?

I started by following the Modernist Cuisine parametric recipe for dehydrated produce by blending fresh pumpkin puree with 1% Xanthan Gum and 18% egg whites (by scaled mass, i.e. 100% = weight of pumpkin puree). I also added maybe another 20% confectioner's sugar to sweeten the puree. Next I spread the batter about 1/8 - 1/16" thick between two pieces of parchment paper, and set them in my dehydrator for 4-5 hours, removing the parchment paper about an hour and a half in (once it was no longer runny or sticking to the parchment). Unfortunately my dehydrator doesn't have temperature controls, but I think it runs pretty hot - maybe 145 F?

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Just finished one of the plated desserts out of Eleven Madison Park: Roasted Banana Sorbet, Chocolate Custard, Sesame-aerated chocolate, black sesame paste, yuzu pate de fruit, yuzu-caramel fluid gel, chocolate tahini feuillutine, carmelized bananas, fried banana-tapioca tuile. Great, unique flavor combinations. As usual, my (lack of) quenelling skills is fairly evident.

615627_10102500557374850_1965117534_o.jpg

I’m amazed, impressed and awestruck. I have some talented friends!

I made Michael Ruhlman’s Classic Yellow Layer Cake with my chocolate icing for a co-worker of Mr.Kim’s. This is one TALL cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_115909.jpg

Also tried out a new recipe from Cuisine at Home magazine for alfajores:

med_gallery_3331_119_167827.jpg

A really good orange/cinnamon scented shortbread-type cookies filled with dulce de leche. They are apparently a favorite cooky in Latin America. They start out very crisp, but the filling softens them over a day or so. We can’t figure out which we like better!