• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Thanks, flourgirl! It was quite a blast to make it as well (although I'm not going to tell you how many of those gumpaste orchids I broke before getting the six I used.....)

Is it wrong that although I know IMBC is the correct acronym for that icing, I still want to write it as ICBM (intercontinental ballistic meringue)?

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Dog Weekend is upon us and tonight's pie is such a winner: Margarita Pie, a combination of two recipes plus my own intervention. With Tequila, Grand Marnier, whipped cream, lime juice, crushed pretzels, etc, how can you lose?

Margarita Pie.JPG

Ooooh, recipe PLEASE ! My eaters would go nuts! :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Dog Weekend is upon us and tonight's pie is such a winner: Margarita Pie, a combination of two recipes plus my own intervention. With Tequila, Grand Marnier, whipped cream, lime juice, crushed pretzels, etc, how can you lose?

Margarita Pie.JPG

I'm going to second the recipe request... pretty please?

Oh Kim I MUST have the recipe for the sugar baby cookies! I ADORE Sugar Babies. Is it on your recipe site?

Here you go, my dear:

http://www.recipecir...er_Chewies.html - I think you'll like them! It's getting harder and harder to find Sugar Babies. I'm thinking of ordering a few cases and putting them in the freezer just in case!

Kim, if you need a local source, I just saw them today at the Five Below store in Short Pump next to Trader Joe's. The boxes looked like the bigger ones you see in movie theaters.

Darienne - I'll go ahead and third the request for the pie recipe - it sounds fabulous and perfect for a last blast of summer dessert. Hope dog weekend went well!

Tikidoc - thank you! I'll go get some boxes soon - I'l usually in Short Pump 2 or 3 times a week. I will also respond to your email soon - need to look at our calendars!

Saturday night we had friends and family over to celebrate Mr. Kim’s birthday. He chose La Bete Noire (The Black Beast) – an astoundingly rich flourless chocolate cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_10794.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_102485.jpg

Served with vanilla bean ice cream. I also had the Smoked Almond and Tahini cookies that I made a few days ago:

med_gallery_3331_119_16126.jpg

And Chai Crunch:

med_gallery_3331_119_46007.jpg

A chai spiced version of Chex Mix. Addicting stuff.

IMG_0317.jpg

Torta de Aceite. First attempt to copy the Seville Orange Ines Rosales Sweet Olive Oil Tortas.

Not quite the texture I'm after. Glad I didn't waste the expensive oil on the first batch. Anybody have a recipe that gives that flaky laminated texture of the originals?

Oooh, those orange Ines Rosales are some of my favorite cookies, Kerry. I also like the Matiz brand plain sugared ones. The savory ones not so much. There are a few recipes on line that I discovered when I thought my source for these dried up, but I never made them after finding a reliable source. (That would be The Spanish Table stores: Berkeley, Mill Valley, Santa Fe, Seattle.) If anyone has a tried and true recipe I would be interested too.

After rediscovering how delicious s'mores can be earlier in the summer, I made the s'more pie from Gourmet. Amazing. The bitterness from broiling the marshmallow nicely offsets the sweetness, and the graham crust and chocolate ganache (or whatever you call a ganache set with an egg) were both tender and delicious.

smores+pie.jpg

Second try at the Torta de Aceiti. This batch used some already risen pizza dough, to which I added some sesame, aniseed and oil. A sprinkling of sugar and a short time under the broiler to caramelize some of it to finish them off.

IMG_0323.jpg

A much more satisfactory crumb than the first batch. Both the first and second batches were very tasty - but this was more the texture I was hoping for.

IMG_0328.jpg

DSCN0481.jpg

Eat your Books mentions various recipes on Facebook on occasion - a few days back they showed a picture of and mentioned Lemon Drenched Lemon Cake. I was able to find a recipe here. Quite satisfactory - they make the lemon syrup a little differently than most - boil together sugar and water, then add the lemon juice. Most have you boil the lemon juice with the sugar.

Couple of recents

Terrible picture, but I made this with my two sons, ages 2 & 4.

Two layer dairy free chocolate cake with a layer of fresh berries inbetween. Dairy free frosting:

cd2608fee2b211e18dfe22000a1cfdcd_7.jpg

This one was an idea which looks bland but tasted pretty good.

Nectarine tart with a pie sized macaroon on top:

8db5afb8e90511e18ac522000a1c03e3_7.jpg

I’ve been making tarts a lot - The food processor and I can get a shortcrust pastry made and rolled in two minutes.

This one is apple, made last night, but I ate mine today at work:

5b116d90f22e11e1b0f41231381418eb_7.jpg

No finished picture, but I looked after a friend's son for an afternoon and we cooked (of course)

Three happy boys baking Afgans:

291cd2e4ed7811e18b5822000a1c02a6_7.jpg

deensiebat – great looking S’mores pie! I can almost taste that burnt marshmallow flavor (one of my favorite tastes – I even made toasted marshmallow ice cream one time).

Last night was Mr. Kim’s fantasy football draft night. I’ve put the meal on the Today I Cooked thread. Dessert was Candy Apple Cupcakes:

med_gallery_3331_119_159278.jpg

Applesauce-spice cupcakes with caramel topping.

Tin Roof Sundae Bars:

med_gallery_3331_119_112591.jpg

Brownies topped with marshmallow crème, peanuts and chocolate. I make these a lot, but they were WAY too goopy this time.

Ruth - those are just stunning! Gianduja is simply heaven on earth, but you have made it gorgeous, too!

judiu - I know, I know! But the marshmallow creme was so gloppy that it softened the brownie and made it fall on the floor. Five second rule doesn't apply with sticky stuff, so I lost out on some brownie goodness!

Darienne - thanks for the PM help! The pie is in the freezer and I can't wait to try it tomorrow!

Meeting some friends tomorrow - they are driving through town on their way west (snowbirds on the way to Texas) who are bringing me some figgy goodness. I'm sending them on their way with some World Peace cookies:

med_gallery_3331_119_5370.jpg

These are just astonishingly good cookies. How is God's name is anyone supposed to go back to a normal existence after eating these things?

I'm sending them on their way with some World Peace cookies:

mmm, Delicious, a Joe Pastry recipe? (That's where I got my recipe from :))

DSC_2085.jpg

DSC_2075.jpg

DSC_2069.jpg

4yr old party today... She wanted fairies and a toadstool house. I think I delivered on the brief :)

What are your mushrooms made of, if I may ask?

They are simply meringue, put together with a little tempered dark chocolate.

keychris – my recipe is from Dorie’s Baking: From My Home to Yours, but she attributes the recipe to Pierre Hermé. Your cake and little mushrooms are gorgeous! I think that the little ones are the best I’ve ever seen. Lovely work!

Thanks very much :)

Darienne’s Margarita Pie that I made to take to a cook out yesterday:

gallery_3331_172_6914.jpg

Creamy, tangy, refreshing goodness! Thanks, Darienne!

Your pie looks lovely. So glad you enjoyed it.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.