• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Yoghurt-Chocolate Chip Cake with Mocha Buttercream fill/frost. I'm actually not responsible for the baking itself (it's bad luck to bake your own birthday cake) but I was certainly responsible for cutting it and sharing it, and for gobbling down my own nice large chunk. This is probably my favourite cake ever.

Cake-Whole.jpg

Cake-Cut.jpg

Cake-Slices.jpg

Yoghurt-Chocolate Chip Cake. It's what's for breakfast!

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Beautiful cake and Happy Birthday to Beth

From PanaCan:

I'm actually not responsible for the baking itself (it's bad luck to bake your own birthday cake) ....

Who says it's bad luck? I always have to bake my own cake. Who else is going to do it?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

flourgirl that Maple Walnut Pear Upside-Down cake looks wonderful! Bet it is one of those cakes that is even better the 2nd or 3rd day. Will need to print out that recipe and add it to my files.

Thank you Curls. It is wonderful. Mr. Lebovitz suggests left-over cake should be reheated in the oven or micro. He is so right; it gets that maple syrup to drip into the cake and makes it like the first time all over again.

Although I have the book for years, this is the first David Lebovitz recipe I have made. I now have a whole list of recipes I can't wait to try.

jrshaul, that looks great; are those fresh sour cherries or last year's?

Ditto for me. And that photo looks near enough to get a taste.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Oh Wow! jrshaul, do you use yeast to make that? It looks delicious.

The fluffy texture is due not to any leavening, but the base ingredient: hot dog buns. I made a custard out of eggs, milk, sugar, butter, vanilla, almond meal and almond extract, then saturated some brick-stale buns and baked until a fork came out clean. I keep getting huge sacks of them as leftovers from friends' barbecues, and this seems to be a good use.

The cherries were Trader Joe's dried montmorency cherries soaked in a bit of brandy. They were good, but given the cost ($4 in cherries!) I'll likely do a cherry sauce instead. Of course, I could do both...

Hotdog buns?!! That is ingenious!

What kind of almond meal do you use?

The very cheap kind I buy at the grocery store. I actually can't tell you more than that (it's not a name brand), though the fine texture allowed it to mix well into the custard and helped it to thicken.

Edited by jrshaul (log)

Thank you. I think your idea is very inventive.

I've been told King Arthur Flour has the finest almond flour but it is never available in my area. I usually make my own but I am sure it isn't ground as fine as it could be.