• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Love that cake, it's so...so...prehistoric! In my quest to finish making all the recipes in Baking From My Home to Yours, I made Sweet Potato Biscuits this morning. Only they were actually pumpkin biscuits, since I firmly believe that potatoes should not, in any circumstances, be sweet. So I used a can of pumpkin instead, and added cinnamon, ginger, and cloves to the recipe as well. They made a great breakfast with melted butter and cinnamon sugar on top. My kids don't know how lucky they are! They just take for granted that every child has biscuits or muffins fresh from the oven 3 or 4 mornings a week...man is college gonna be a wakeup call for them...

pumpkin biscuits.jpg

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Mini shortcakes. I'll confess that I'm actually making these things to test out the new molds ahead of the restaurant opening I've got on the 19th, and I'd love your feedback on the plating....

th_DSCN7572.jpgth_DSCN7568.jpgth_DSCN7577.jpgth_DSCN7575.jpgth_DSCN7581.jpgth_DSCN7578.jpg

th_DSCN7582.jpg

DSCN7586.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Best I like the one with the Fleur-de-lis visible and the fruit in one spot.

Actually, I'd eat any of them happily without even noticing the plating much...but you asked...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm with Darienne...I'd eat 'em all and not worry about the plating too much. That being said, have you thought about spiltting the cakes and putting the berries in between them, overflowing onto the plate? That way you still see the lovely top but you get maximum berry to cake balance :wink:

love the one where you can see the fleur-de-lis. like the idea of splitting and filling.

the peaches are coming in now in nw nj with a vengence. pulled out johnnybird's grandmother's recipe for peach kucken and made it. some for us, some for our neighbor and some for my mother-in-law who is rehabbing her knee.

am making a peach clafoutis for a meeting on tuesday, julia's birthday...along with a ratatouille to eat room temperature

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Suzi, you can send some of that peach kuchen my way! I picked peaches this weekend but they're kind of underripe. We had a really cold wet spring and so the whole crop this year is about 3 weeks behind and much smaller than usual. But I made the best of a bad situation with a Peach and Frangipane tart. The crust got a little dark, but I'm sticking with the description as "deeply caramelized." As in, "I meant to do that..." Yeah right! :laugh: Still tasted pretty good though. Hard to go wrong with any stone fruit and almond filling.

frangipane tart.jpg

PC – your Nanaimo bars look luscious! And the fleur de lis mold is adorable! I prefer the one in the bottom left, too (the idea of splitting it is great).

Sunday was Mr. Kim’s birthday and he asked for a chocolate/chocolate cake with a peanut butter element. I made the cake with the recipe for Chocolate Bar Cupcakes, filled it with the PB frosting from Tyler Florence’s Jelly Filled Cupcakes with PB Frosting and iced it with my Fudgy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:

med_gallery_3331_119_299172.jpg

Those little melty discs taste God-awful, but they make cute decorations:

med_gallery_3331_119_137079.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_90205.jpg

Gluten free cupcakes for a niece (from a mix):

med_gallery_3331_119_165165.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_288961.jpg

I am madly in love with my huge new round decorating tip – big, billowy clouds of icing!

Those little melty discs taste God-awful, but they make cute decorations

:raz::raz: My first thought also upon seeing them.

Do you ever sleep or do you simply bake wonderful goodies 24/7?

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Panaderia- can you give an explanation as to what those delicious looking bars are made from? I want to bite the screen. It is rare that cakes or cookies etc, do it for me...

Not to barge in on Panaderia but Nanaimo Bars are pretty widespread in Canada; here's a link to a recipe

No worries! Nanaimo bars are, of course, one of the quintisentially Canadian desserts. Of course, being from Vancouver yourself you can actually go to Nanaimo and have the originals.....

Incidentally, I PM'd Lior with the recipe I used for the pictured bars (and if anybody else wants it, just let me know) and probably I should have said something here as well.

Good. I'm sure Lior would prefer your recipe to a generic CL one. I can't remember the last time I had a Nanaimo Bar in Nanaimo (I go there often since my mom now lives in Nanaimo) but maybe, if you PM your recipe, I'll make some next time I'm there.

Panaderia- can you give an explanation as to what those delicious looking bars are made from? I want to bite the screen. It is rare that cakes or cookies etc, do it for me...

Not to barge in on Panaderia but Nanaimo Bars are pretty widespread in Canada; here's a link to a recipe

No worries! Nanaimo bars are, of course, one of the quintisentially Canadian desserts. Of course, being from Vancouver yourself you can actually go to Nanaimo and have the originals.....

Incidentally, I PM'd Lior with the recipe I used for the pictured bars (and if anybody else wants it, just let me know) and probably I should have said something here as well.

Cheers,

Anne

Nanaimo bars are all over here, but I hadn't seen them before I moved from the Midwest. They're pretty delicious when done right, but most of the store varieties are tooth achingly sweet.

PanCan-That cake is lovely. Do you taste the plantain as well or is it just there for moistness? I love anything with coconut but I've never tried combining it with honey...

Last night I broke into the Toasted Almond, Candied Cherry, and Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream I made from The Perfect Scoop. It was my trial run making creme anglaise SV (a rousing success, I may never go back to making it in a pan) as well as the maiden voyage of the Donvier ice cream maker I got at Goodwill for $7.00. I was suprised with how well it turned out, given the decidedly low tech nature of the machine in question. Super easy too. Apologies for the bad picture, darn lack of natural light...Oh no wait, the uploader won't work for some reason, so you're saved from seeing yet another demo of my marked lack of photography skills. Picture vanilla ice cream with chunks of cherries, chocolate, and almonds, and you get the picture... :laugh:

You absolutely taste the plantain - there are 2 cups of plantain mush in that cake! I use a variety of plantain that isn't really all that available in North America, locally called Lime Plantain, which is a bit sweeter than the big Dominicana types.

A couple of weeks ago I had to make blueberry pies for an event. My boyfriend lives for blueberries, and even though he worked the event, there wasn't any extra and he was very sad.

So, I made this blueberry galette for him to make up for it. I used David Lebovitz's galette dough recipe, and it's very good. Easy to work with and very crispy.

bluberry.JPG

Do you ever sleep or do you simply bake wonderful goodies 24/7?

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I DO sleep, but I admit that I sometimes dream of baking :blush: .

PC – the torte is absolutely gorgeous and I love the flavor combination!

Genkinaonna – oh…my…goodness! That ice cream sounds incredible. I just finished a pint of just ok toasted almond gelato last night and I’m already missing it. Toasted almond is one of my very favorite flavors. I Googled the recipe and will be trying that as soon as possible!

Rwood – what a beautiful, beautiful gallette!

Something I made for a coworker’s birthday back in July, that I just realized I never posted:

gallery_3331_119_64643.jpg

This was a yellow cake with caramel icing by request. The recipe was from the newspaper. The cake was very, very good – as a matter of fact, I’ve designated it my current ‘go-to’ yellow cake. The icing was weird – it tasted great, but was the consistency of Play Doh. I had a very hard time spreading it – I actually ended up picking up gobs of it and tamping it on to the cake. My fault, I’m sure. I probably got the caramel too hot – the directions are a little vague. A close up of the frosting:

gallery_3331_119_29179.jpg

Curls, Deensie bat, Kim, PanaCan...and going back...it all looks so good.

I'm going to go for the corn popsicles next, probably with blueberries because a) I have no blackberries and b) neither blueberries nor blackberries are intense so I hope that one is somewhat interchangeable with the other.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

DSCN7779.jpg

DSCN7791.jpg

Black and White cake - inside is my fave hypermoist chocolate zucchini cake recipe with added Macadamia nuts; outside is white chocolate ganache with white chocochips and coconut. The ganache kind of freaked me out a bit initially, since it was yellow going on, but it set up well.

Deensie-That popsicle looks amazing! And I think that's one of the best possible uses for blackberries.

Curls-Sometimes the classics really are the best, and I love your beautiful curl on the frosting!

PanCan-We must have been on the same wavelength! I made a coconut covered cake too...but mine's coconut through and through, with vanilla bean coconut cake layers, filled with toasted coconut pastry cream, and frosted with a coconut milk buttercream frosting. And the soaking syrup had Malibu in it, just for good measure!

coconut cake.jpg