• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

They look lovely.

You must be young, energetic and slightly crazy. Baking at 10,000 feet is not simple I imagine. I have enough confusion trying to bake and cook at 4500 at times. (We live at near sea-ish level.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Only slightly crazy? Naaah. I'm 29 years old and fully gone in to the nutso-ness. Each of my cake recipes (even in their most reduced forms) makes about 2 dozen cupcakes. I'm almost to the point where I don't ever want to see another one, except perhaps the Chocoamor (Death by Chocolate) ones....

10,000 feet calls for some interesting adjustments to baking powder/soda recipes, but I'll tell you this: I have never made better yeast breads in my life! I have very little atmospheric pressure regardless of the weather (a sunny day gives me maybe 10 kpa difference over a cloudy one, if that) which means I get amazing big proofs every single time. I had to take into account a third proofing, though, because otherwise the breads end up too airy.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

No picture, but two days ago I made the fudgsicle recipe recently posted on Smittenkitchen. WOW. I was just blown away -- I never imagined fudgsicles could be so good. My husband just kept looking at each other while we ate them, saying over and over again -- these are incredible! Here's the link to the recipe -- http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/06/fudge-popsicles/. Next time I'm doubling it, since four of these isn't nearly enough...

Emily - I just copied that fudgsicle recipe. I'm going to make those SOON!

My MIL came over the other night to look at our trip pictures. We went out for Pho for dinner and then came back for dessert and photos. I made Dream Cookies (just a really simple shortbread-type cooky that I’ve made since I was a kid – our favorite cooky) filled with Nutella:

med_gallery_3331_172_70278.jpg

I also threw together these little lemon curd tarts with Greek yogurt and blueberries:

med_gallery_3331_172_161223.jpg

They look a bit like googly eyes :unsure: . The tart shells were purchased, so this dessert went together in just a few minutes. I took the leftovers to work on Friday and they were still good – the shells were crisp. So these also hold well.

I finally got around to making this cake my grandmother used to make a lot. It's called a Danish Cake (not sure why). I think I posted the recipe in another thread about old fashioned desserts.

It's a simple buttermilk cake with chopped pecans and dates. After baking, it's cut into squares, and a hot syrupy icing with coconut is poured over it.

I think with my taste to day, I would go with unsweetened coconut in the topping, which I didn't have at the time. But, it's still very good :).

10b.jpg

Looks delicious.

And you said: "I think with my taste to day, I would go with unsweetened coconut in the topping". Interesting thought. Could start a topic about whose taste has changed in which way. Using less sugar in recipes? Less salt? Less butter? chocolate of a higher percentage cacao?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Emily – I made the fudgsicles!!!

med_gallery_3331_172_221698.jpg

They were SO good! I only had milk chocolate chips, so I used them and I also made them with Splenda, so Mr. Kim could share! And, yes, next time I’ll be doubling the recipe!

RWood – luscious looking cake! I love the idea of pouring the syrup over top!

ET – Adorable nectarine decorations! And what a great picture!

Picked some lovely Red Haven peaches this weekend and made a batch of peach jam from one of Christine Ferber's recipes. Have enough extra peaches that I may make some peach ice cream too.

The last currants (red, black and white) and gooseberries of the season, along with the first blackberries.

IMAG0252.jpg

Enough to make the the traditional Danish treat of ' Rødgrød med fløde', a regular tounge-twister for non-danes (stewed red fruit with cream).

IMAG0254.jpg

Would have made a cake, but lightning fried the oven.

Oh my gosh! ALl those succulent berries!! I don't think I have tasted all those kinds-but some I know. Wow what a great picture. All they need is fresh cream! Beautiful!

Tonight I got the urge to bake at 10:30 pm! Just finished making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with pecans and cranberries!!

Edited by Lior (log)

The last currants (red, black and white) and gooseberries of the season, along with the first blackberries.

IMAG0252.jpg

Enough to make the the traditional Danish treat of ' Rødgrød med fløde', a regular tounge-twister for non-danes (stewed red fruit with cream).

IMAG0254.jpg

Would have made a cake, but lightning fried the oven.

Oh, MY! Looks yummy, with heavy cream, to boot! Yes, PLEASE!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

ohhhhh - i love currants and gooseberries.

DISCLAIMER: i baked when i was younger but am not much of a baker in my advancing years.

that being said my neighbor and i were comparing food memories from when we were younger the other day. she mentioned cinnamon raisin rolls down the shore. well, one of the magazines she had given me to recycle had a cinnamon roll recipe in it so i thought - why not?

i plumped some golden raisins in some hot water and mixed some of Johnnybird's Famous Outrageous Toast Dope with some light brown sugar. made the dough then went to the gym. when i got back rolled the dough out, slathered it with butter, spread the toast dope/sugar mixture and scattered the drained and dried raisins on.

cut and let rise for about 45 minutes. bake and drizzle with confectioners sugar mixed with vanilla and milk.

i ate three of those suckers...by myself...i'm so ashamed but they were so good. the dough was a perfect foil for the sweet filling and it wasn't too soft even at the center. i will make these again...and i gave a plate with half of them to my neighbor.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I finally got around to making this cake my grandmother used to make a lot. It's called a Danish Cake (not sure why). I think I posted the recipe in another thread about old fashioned desserts.

It's a simple buttermilk cake with chopped pecans and dates. After baking, it's cut into squares, and a hot syrupy icing with coconut is poured over it.

I think with my taste to day, I would go with unsweetened coconut in the topping, which I didn't have at the time. But, it's still very good :).

This looks so appetizing for me. Pecan and Dates are a very good marriage.

Last week, for a birthday party.

WTF??????????? :laugh: Does it erupt, too? :biggrin:

No, that was the special pinata. The cake flamed. We put all the candles in the caldera:

Volcano flaming - IMG_2638-cropped.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.