• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Your cupcakes are adorable, Kim. You are quite the cake and cupcake maker. Not too mention an incredibly generous lady, both with your constant creations for your workers and others, and also with your words of encouragement and praise for others. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Kim- I think it's just the store bought fondant that tastes terrible, the homemade stuff is supposed to taste okay...and those cupcakes are ADORABLE! And that cheesecake is so perfect for Easter. I almost made a coconut covered something as well but opted to go with a less than photogenic chocolate almond cake instead :hmmm:

deensibat-If someone breaks into your house tonight and the only things determined to be missing are those macarons, I know nothing about it...I had an alibis for the whole night!

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

I'm still working my way through The Perfect Scoop ... It's hard to get tired of ice cream :biggrin: This weekend's batch was Malted Milk ice cream on a blondie. The malted milk flavor is lovely.

IMG_0685-web.jpg

photo.jpg

Two new flavors today--Kaffir Lime with Coconut Cream and Raspberry Rose. Think I might bring some to the Conference:-)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

photo.jpg

Two new flavors today--Kaffir Lime with Coconut Cream and Raspberry Rose. Think I might bring some to the Conference:-)

Sounds yummy - look forward to trying them.

Chef Eddy's blog I follow faithfully and yesterday he published a recipe for Arlettes. They looked wonderful.

However, the recipe was not written for beginners such as I. All the ingredients were noted 'as needed' and the baking time 'until the bottom side has caramelized. Flip over and bake...' OK.

So now I know exactly what to do and not do the next time. Still, although the results don't look like Chef Eddy's, the DH pronounced them crispy and delicious.

Arlettes.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My French Fridays with Dorie assignment: Torteau de Chevre. A chevre cheesecake, but not a creamy cake, more spongy...I don't like goat cheese at all so I assumed this would be one I'd bring to my daughter's school to let the teachers demolish. I was pleasantly suprised though, it was actually pretty tasty. I should've known Dorie wouldn't let me down...the teachers can bake their own damn cakes! :laugh:

torteau de chevre.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

IMG_3043-20110507-214936.jpg

(Moan) When a beautiful biscuit like that gets soggy with juice and cream, I'm one happy eater!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Oh, Texas with its already-in-season strawberries! I was excited enough to find rhubarb, which I roasted and served with a creme fraiche semifreddo. Melty but delicious. I really like roasting the rhubarb -- if you're careful not to mush it, you get pieces that are meltingly tender, but still hold their shape.

rhubarb%2Bsemifreddo.JPG

Thanks everyone. The biscuit recipe is from Cook's Illustrated. The strawberry topping is just sliced strawberries macerated in some sugar to bring out their juices. Then they get mashed with a potato masher. The finished desert is simply the biscuit sliced in half with some whipped cream, the sauce, and some fresh sliced berries.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Mmmm...strawberry shortcake! Just had my first local strawberry of the year from the farmers market yesterday. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I had it! We're having shortcake sometime very soon as well...sometimes the simplest things are the best.

Mutant jaffa-cakes (sponge, orange jelly, chocolate) - must work on the sponge, although they seem to go even if mutated...

Wow, jaffa cakes! I'd love to see a recipe for those :)

I made a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread with copious amounts of nose tingling strong cinnamon. This loaf is not for the faint of heart!

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Mutant jaffa-cakes (sponge, orange jelly, chocolate) - must work on the sponge, although they seem to go even if mutated...

Wow, jaffa cakes! I'd love to see a recipe for those :)

Not so much a recipe as ideas and directions. here. I still need to work on the sponge and the jelly was a bit on the runny side, but these are details :-)

If you google jaffa cakes you get hundreds of ideas

Edited by Mette (log)