• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Wow now I want to go bake! Everything looks so good! How do you stuff a meringue with chocolate mousse? And Dystopiandreamgirl, your cake is amazing as usual! Off to the kitchen I go...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Oh my, I haven't been on egullet in ages. Everyone's creations look absolutely lovely.

Something I made for my grandma's birthday which also happened to fall on Valentine's Day =)

Lemon White Chocolate Raspberry cheesecake on an almond honey graham crust.

cheesecake 9.jpg

Some macarons I made a couple of weeks ago as well. Mango, Whisky Chocolate, Jasmine, Cassis and Symphonie. Enjoy!

Jasmine, Rose, Mango, Cassis.png

Edited by AmritaBala (log)

Rwood – your whoopie pie is adorable!

binitahp – your entremet is seriously one of the most beautiful things I ever seen!

dystopiandreamgirl – your Valentine is gorgeous! What are the white hearts made of?

AmritaBala – I love your multi-colored macarons!

Bananas have been toppling out of the freezer anytime we open it lately, so it must be time to make banana bread (one of the best lemonade from lemons items, I think):

med_gallery_3331_119_153016.jpg

This is a friend’s recipe called ‘Brooke’s Banana Bread’. This time I added chocolate chips and used my leftover Christmas spiced pecans from the freezer.

Slice:

med_gallery_3331_119_83630.jpg

Moist, rich and deeply fragrant. This is what all overripe bananas want to become.

I made a peanut butter cake for a small Valentine's party we had.

The layers were made with peanut butter batter. The filling was milk chocolate peanut butter. The frosting also peanut butter. It turned out wonderfully moist and nutty. I would make it again.

176323_500342717956_705057956_6311260_2709578_o.jpg

Melissa - I would maim people for that recipe!!! PB and chocolate is the best combination in the world!

Kim, I wouldn't want you to maim anyone. I am more than happy to share what I did.

I followed the Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cake with Cream Cheese and Butterfinger Frosting recipe at Epicurious

I made the following changes:

For the filling I substituted Milk Chocolate (instead of the dark)

No changes to the cake layers

For the frosting, I didn't use that recipe, and instead used Ina Garten's Peanut Butter Icing

I assemble the cake one day before serving.. it seemed to get better for an additional few days (at least). Served at near room temperature.

Garnished with Peanut Butter Cups rather than butterfingers.

Enjoy!

Curls - Such cute cupcakes! What frosting did you use on themm :):)

AmritaBala, both the chocolate cupcake and the vanilla buttercream recipes can be found on Chockylit's blog (I used the recipes from her February 2008 entry. The vanilla buttercream is of the rather standard butter, powdered sugar and milk variety. I like this one because it is not super sweet.

There are some fantastic presentation skills on here, but I am really amazed by some of the chocolate work - those hexagonal shells and coffee cups above .... where do we mere mortals find the secrets to making something like that?

There are some fantastic presentation skills on here, but I am really amazed by some of the chocolate work - those hexagonal shells and coffee cups above .... where do we mere mortals find the secrets to making something like that?

Those would be molded chocolates - mere mortals like yourself could come to our chocolate conference and learn how to do that.

Conference details here. It that doesn't work for you - PM me.

Kerry, that's wonderful - it's even on my birthday! But it's also over 3000 miles away so I'm going to have to decline.

Still ... loving this site for ideas. Seems I'm going to have to teach myself a new skill set.

:o)

Valentine chocolates: hazelnut praline and 71% dark chocolate ganache

valentineNoText.png

Greens: Moroccan mint green tea ganache

Turquoise: Deep chocolate espresso ganache

Yellow/pink: Meyer lemon white chocolate ganache

Red: Dark chocolate raspberry ganache with Chambord

IMG_2968.png

Yellow/green: Meyer lemon mint white chocolate ganache

IMG_0744.JPG

"But you have no chocolate? My dear, how will you ever manage?"

-- Marquise d Sévigné

"If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake..."

Valentine chocolates: hazelnut praline and 71% dark chocolate ganache

valentineNoText.png

Greens: Moroccan mint green tea ganache

Turquoise: Deep chocolate espresso ganache

Yellow/pink: Meyer lemon white chocolate ganache

Red: Dark chocolate raspberry ganache with Chambord

IMG_2968.png

Yellow/green: Meyer lemon mint white chocolate ganache

IMG_0744.JPG

Gorgeous, gorgeous work, cakemuse!

Many thanks! Love working with color.

"But you have no chocolate? My dear, how will you ever manage?"

-- Marquise d Sévigné

"If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake..."

Ooooo! My turn! I made these "Three Sister" cookies from Bo Friberg's book "The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef," I thought the cookies looked beautiful, so I gave them a try and they came out decent enough. The fillings are apricot and raspberry jam.

Three Sisters.jpg

Edited by minas6907 (log)

Gorgeous cookies!

This week, I baked a simple apple yoghurt cake. Recipe here

cake.jpg

I also went crazy at the bakery this morning. Planned on some croissants for breakfast but came home with chocolate pastries, 10 cream puffs, a chocolate hazelnut cake and 6 apple beignets in addition the the croissants :unsure:

Nyonya in The Netherlands

My Blog- Deliciously Lekker

cakemuse – I am utterly gobsmacked by those chocolates. What gorgeous work! I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen lovelier! And, more importantly, they sound delicious!

I made an angel food cake drizzled with chocolate glaze for a work birthday:

med_gallery_3331_119_90887.jpg

It disappeared faster than any other cake I’ve ever taken in before! It was really good.

To use up the yolks, I made a 12 Yolk ‘Angel Food’ cake with orange extract and dried orange peel the next night:

med_gallery_3331_119_251606.jpg

Fluffy white frosting w/ the same orange flavorings. I’ve made this cake before and the flavor is good, but it is a little dry and somewhat tough:

med_gallery_3331_119_67198.jpg

Here's the recipe. Any suggestions for improving the texture and moistness of this cake?