• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Thank you all! The royal icing is a great idea, Darienne and thank you RWood for the information about oil based colors for white chocolate. I have a million ideas, if only I can get these to TASTE good!

I made them using homemade chocolate cake and cream cheese icing and they were terrible. I don't get the appeal aside from them being so cute. I think I'd prefer going the mini cupcake route. At least I know they'll taste good. If you find a way to make them that tastes good, let us know.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Personally I feel cake for lunch is acceptable any day of the week as long as it covers at least 50% of all the food groups :)

I'll have to remember that one :)

recipe please? I have 4 jars of honey in my cabinet and that looks great.

I used this recipe, without any modifications. The honey flavor is amazing, and it's not too sweet. I recommend using a deep 9in pan (the batter was about 2in deep when poured in), and lining the bottom with greased parchment paper.

where do you get calcium chloride from?

thanks!

Lior, you could also look into Agar Spherification as a more low-tech way to make little spheres/caviar. They are a bit different in texture but don't require the special chemicals (just some agar agar which is more readily available).

I've never actually tried the calcium ones but I played around with agar a few weeks ago and had a great result with my first attempt.

We had Mr. Kim’s mom over for dinner last night and for dessert I did Granny Smith sorbet:

med_gallery_3331_172_175007.jpg

And fig, apple mascarpone tart w/ Dulce de Leche. Before baking:

med_gallery_3331_119_13420.jpg

Baked and glazed:

med_gallery_3331_119_245030.jpg

Slice:

med_gallery_3331_119_230816.jpg

I got these recipes from eG’s Lisa2K - I've made it 3 years in a row and I’m pretty sure that this is going to be our traditional ‘Welcome Fall’ dessert.

Thank you.

I will do that and then I will try the calcium. It is kind of far away (Spring, where are they located?) to go get and crazy to have delivered-such a small amount!

I dont remember where they are, the best thing would be to call him and ask. I didnt order a lot at all as wanted to play around with it first and if I remember correctly shipping is reasonable. He also included little droppers to make the caviar with, gave me great advice on what not to do and emailed me some information. HTH

not really a baker anymore - used to bake for independent sale and then also worked part time in the bakery section of a restaurant - but wanted to do try out some things.

yesterday did two recipes: the apple cake from dorie greenspan's book and a riff on a recipe i saw demoed on tuesday night - cranberry harvest bars.

when i do the apple cake again i will either halve the number of apples or increase the "batter" half again just so all the apples have some sort of a "cake" coating. this really reminded me of a clafouti.

still tweaking the bars - original called for eggs, butter, flour, sugar, 2 cups of cranberries, 1 cup of walnuts, ground cinnamon, ground cloves and orange zest. i subbed out extra light olive oil and some orange juice for the butter and reduced the cranberries by half(husband's request) and the nuts by 1/4. good but still needs a bit more tweaking till i am happy.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

PumpkinPie,web,01.JPG

A friend brought us a pumpkin from a farm near his place in the Adirondacks, and our son (who will be 4 in December) wanted to make a pumpkin pie, inspired by the funny Mr Potato Head style Halloween pumpkins a couple of doors down.

Slice:

med_gallery_3331_119_230816.jpg

I got these recipes from eG’s Lisa2K - I've made it 3 years in a row and I’m pretty sure that this is going to be our traditional ‘Welcome Fall’ dessert.

I've tried to find the recipe, would you mind sharing it?

Thanks

Edited by heidih
Fix quote tags (log)

what an adorable punkin pie!!!! Very nice. Did you help him make the features? I assume so.... Anyhow, adorable and fun!! Precious moments...

Well, he's not handling sharp knives yet, but anything I did was in consultation with the chef.