• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Darienne – thank you so much for such sweet words! It’s not totally unselfish, though. It’s what I love doing and the thanks and praise ain’t bad, either :laugh: !

merstar – oooh! Thanks for posting the link to those muffins. They look wonderful. I’ve printed it out and it’s going in my ‘to try’ file!

merstar – oooh! Thanks for posting the link to those muffins. They look wonderful. I’ve printed it out and it’s going in my ‘to try’ file!

You're very welcome, Kim. These are so delicious - forget breakfast - I eat them for dessert! They're really in between a muffin and a cupcake. I often omit the chocolate chips inside, and frost with some melted semi-sweet chocolate.

One tip: Use the weight measurements instead of the volume measurements - I tried them both ways as an experiment (for the volume, I did spoon and sweep), and the ones I did by weight came out lighter, fluffier, and more moist. Either way, they're great, but the ones by weight are superior.

Oh, also, their timing is off. It takes much less baking time than indicated, around 18 minutes.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

You're very welcome, Kim. These are so delicious - forget breakfast - I eat them for dessert! They're really in between a muffin and a cupcake. I often omit the chocolate chips inside, and frost with some melted semi-sweet chocolate.

One tip: Use the weight measurements instead of the volume measurements - I tried them both ways as an experiment (for the volume, I did spoon and sweep), and the ones I did by weight came out lighter, fluffier, and more moist. Either way, they're great, but the ones by weight are superior.

Oh, also, their timing is off. It takes much less baking time than indicated, around 18 minutes.

Thank you! I've added your notes to my copy. Can't wait to try these. They sound like they would be good for a brunch - muffin for those who want bread and cake for those who want dessert - all in one thing!

I just peeked in to comment on the lovely creations Y'all have been posting. Caro told me that they were spectacular, and they're just wonderful.

Kim---your coconut cake!!! That's the most scrumptious-looking cut cake I've seen in a LONG time---it just begs for stray fingers to sneak some of those lovely crumbs.

Just beautiful, everyone!!

rachel

thx, as the pate the fruit didnt set well (i didnt use enough pectin) - i heated it slightly and piped it into moulds. it married well with the chocolate and did set enough..

Those look great Tarko! How did you get you get pate de fruit into the molded chocolates? I expect that just pouring the mixture into the lined molds would melt the chocolate ...

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

Peanut Butter, Nutella and Chocolate Rice Krispie Barsrice krispies small.jpg

Nice picture Dave. Squares look like they would be tasty. Is the peanut butter mixed with the nutella or a layer of it's own?

I just peeked in to comment on the lovely creations Y'all have been posting. Caro told me that they were spectacular, and they're just wonderful.

Kim---your coconut cake!!! That's the most scrumptious-looking cut cake I've seen in a LONG time---it just begs for stray fingers to sneak some of those lovely crumbs.

Just beautiful, everyone!!

rachel

I gasped with delight when I saw you here, Rachel - in fact, I startled Mr. Kim! Thank you - we did a lot of finger sneaks when my BIL wasn't looking (he's a germophobe) and I barely managed to get a slice to take home for Jessica. So it went down well!

dhardy123 - any chance of you giving out that recipe? Both Nutella and rice bars are favorites around here and my family would adore me forever if I made these!

Sure,

it is actually the recipe that won the Top Chef Just Desserts challenge last week.

Here is the link

http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/peanut-butter-krispy-bar

I made a couple of minor changes but mine ended up being a bit top-heavy...not enough Rice Krispiage and probably too much chocolate (if there is such a thing ;))

I, uh, made brownies.

I wasn't really that happy with the recipe I'd been using. I tweaked it, figured out what was wrong, and got it down.

brownie2.jpg

This is much better than I've been getting. It's the perfect combination of cakey and fudgey, has great chocolate flavor, and would be quite tasty with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on top. Haagen Daaz, though, would do in a pinch.

They don't look pretty, but looks never really mattered much to me.

Groom's cake for a wedding yesterday as a gift to the bride and groom: lemon cake, mousseline butter cream, chocolate decoration

gallery_8693_309_100082.jpg

and my first successful attempt at macarons a couple of weeks ago for a dinner party: chocolate with salted caramel ganache

gallery_8693_309_2969.jpg

These are something I've been working on, a S'More - Callebaut Milk Chocolate; Marshmallow and Cookie Crust - I need to work on my Splattering TechniqueIMG_0034R.jpg

and these are my "turtles" cooling off and getting ready to be dipped...IMG_0038R.jpg

Nice! I love toffee... I like it even better minus the chocolate but I'll scarf it down either way.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.