• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

DSCN1230.jpg

Finally got around to making the green olive macarons. Turned out just as tasty as I'd hoped. Nice chunks of chopped pimento stuffed olives in the buttercream.

I am lucky to have tasted these a few moments ago. I will cop to some trepidation, being not at all adventurous... but man, they are delicious! The salty brininess of the olives comes through more as fragrance than flavor, and the olive bits in the buttercream have just a hint of meatiness to them. Really wonderful!

Patty

DSCN1230.jpg

Finally got around to making the green olive macarons. Turned out just as tasty as I'd hoped. Nice chunks of chopped pimento stuffed olives in the buttercream.

I am lucky to have tasted these a few moments ago. I will cop to some trepidation, being not at all adventurous... but man, they are delicious! The salty brininess of the olives comes through more as fragrance than flavor, and the olive bits in the buttercream have just a hint of meatiness to them. Really wonderful!

You tried them? Unfair! :sad:

Green olive macarons really are delicious, as odd as they might sound.

This is more of a savoury then a sweet, but heres it is neverthelsess - pearpizza with honey and fresh thyme:) I mades this yesterday as a snack with predinner drinks. Its also very good topped with goatscheese and walnuts...

dsc00293wf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

thx lior:) its very, very simple to make - regular pizza dough, brushed with olive oil and then topped with pears or figues and the drizzled with honey and sprinkled with fresh thyme and seasoned with salt. apples should work fine

Don't know if this counts as baking, per se, since I didn't turn the oven on for it (although I did make pumpkin muffins this morning and I've got almond biscotti in the oven right now) but I started my daughter's third birthday cake today. She wants a jungle theme, but "with pink" and "lots of animals, like pigs and dolphins." So here's what I started with. I'm thinking I'll do a two tier cake and put them sitting on the bottom tier leaning against the top tier and do some jungle-y leaves and pink flowers on the bottom and a little Mina (my daughter) in fondant on the top. But we'll see how much free time I end up having this week since tomorrow is the beginning of my first full week back to work after maternity leave...

mina cake animals.jpg

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Thanks! I should get extra points for doing it on the kitchen table while various small children crawl under said table and steal pieces of fondant to snack on... and it's not even the homemade stuff, just the Wilton which tastes gross! I guess there's no accounting for taste when you're two.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

dragee1.jpg

This is my first experience making dragee, based on the method in the Grewling book. Anyone have any experience polishing these with some sort of food wax? They don't look all that appetizing in my opinion, though they taste pretty good. I have to note I just did this at home in a large stainless steel bowl. Can they be polished with a little wax without one of those professional machines?

Edited by tonylombaardi (log)

I think that Kerry Beal has a link on how to finish these off.

Not sure that polishing will work with the bowl method. I usually use a bit of cocoa powder mixed with confectioners sugar when I do them that way.

Kerry, I found that demo thread of yours so I'll just consult that if I ever try it. That Kitchenaid attachment was pretty cool, though way too much money for something I'd very rarely use.

The one with the most toys when she dies...wins!

I made these over the weekend:)

Lavender ganache in a milkchocolate shell.

lavendel.jpg

Earl grey ganache ala Greweling.

earlgrey.jpg

Raspberry pate de fruit filled in a dark chocolate shell.

geled.jpg

Gran marnier ganache with pieces of confit orangezest.

granmarinier.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chocolate doctor - I am so impressed with your macarons. I had been given a recipe that someone raved about - assuming this had been a tested recipe - and albeit I had never made macarons - nor had I ever had them - I was assuming they were like a coconut dessert but of course that wouldn't make sense because there was no coconut! - anyway - your picture looks beautiful. My cookies totally cracked and crumbled. The taste was good but the presentation was very poor.

I know that I say this a lot, but I am just astounded by the beauty and creativity that I see on this thread.

My humble offerings include a chocolate angel food cake that I made for a coworker's birthday:

P1050935.JPG

PB & J cupcakes for my niece's wedding rehearsal dinner:

P1060041.JPG

And a coconut cake that I did for my FIL’s birthday on Friday:

med_gallery_3331_119_281843.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_323225.jpg

Dearest Mz Shook,

You may be humble about your work, but I say it is excellent and merits great praise especially because of your neverending generosity to your co-workers, family, friends, and fellow eGers. I am proud to say I 'know' you. Darienne

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.