• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I've been reading this for about as long as it's been active, but although I bake frequently I've never posted anything I've made. Everything here looks amazing, and I definitely look to you guys for inspiration when I'm in the mood to bake...

That being said, while I'm on maternity leave with little human number three I'm trying to bake something (at least one thing) every day. I'm using the Baking from My Home to Yours cookbook (Dorrie Greenspan) since everything I've made so far from it has been pretty good, and I've never gone through an entire book and made everything in it before. I'm pretty sure I won't get through the whole thing for a while, probably at least 6 months, since it's a pretty hefty book although the recipes themselves are straightforward. Anyways, today I made the peach variation of the Cranberry Upside Downer cake, and the Brrrownies (with peppermint patties melted into the batter), and both turned out really well.

All my coworkers are accusing me of trying to make them fat, since I drop off most of what I make when I check in with work several times a week. Better them than me!

I've had no luck getting pictures uploaded here, but I'm going to try again tomorrow if the children will consent to napping at the same time. My apologies in advance for the lack of composition...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Here are the Peach Upside Down Cake, the Brrrownie, and also some Minnie Mouse themed cupcakes I did for a friend's daughter's birthday party this weekend. I warned everyone about the composition...

I assure you I bake better than I photograph. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

minnie cupcakes.jpg

peach upsidedowner1.jpg

brownies1.jpg

I was thrilled to find silicone bouchon molds at the local kitchen store last weekend. I had been improvising with other containers and this solves the problem for weekend desserts.

I could not believe the amount of merchandise Keller has now under Ad Hoc and Bouchon names.

Edited by Doodad (log)

lemon and berry sorbet. Using 2 cups of syrup to 1.5 cups of lemon juice = a very, very rich tasting sorbet. I added a shot of homemade blueberry-strawberry syrup to the mix and it was heaven. Now...if only I didn't have to stand there and hold the lid on my ice cream maker.

Guess I'll have to get that new one after all.

My last dessert was a lemon posset. Desserts which feature cream and citrus fruit are always a winner with me. And lemon posset has a simplicity and purity that has immense asthetic appeal to me. Recipe from the Marcus Wareing book "How to the cook the perfect ...".

Recipe scribblings at http://foodyborris.wordpress.com/

Here's what I made yesterday: strawberry mousse layered with a hazelnut dacquoise (soaked in lychee syrup). The left over strawberry purée and syrup went on the top. I am pleased to say all the colours are completely natural.

Strawberry entremets.JPG

PS For those interested in techniques, I put this one together upside down and it really worked to get a perfectly flat top and crisp edges.

Edited by RichardJones (log)

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

Here's what I made yesterday: strawberry mousse layered with a hazelnut dacquoise (soaked in lychee syrup). The left over strawberry purée and syrup went on the top. I am pleased to say all the colours are completely natural.

Strawberry entremets.JPG

PS For those interested in techniques, I put this one together upside down and it really worked to get a perfectly flat top and crisp edges.

A work of art. Bravo.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Love the strawberry mousse. My four year old is reading over my shoulder and she agrees. She says give me the recipe so I can make it too, although I doubt it'll look as lovely as yours does. : )

BTW I made Chocolate Banana Walnut Bread today as well as some buttermilk biscuits that lasted approximately 30 seconds from oven to our respective stomachs, so I didn't get a picture. But you gotta eat 'em hot, they're just not the same once they've cooled off.

Happy Baking!

wow - that looks fantastic:)

Strawberry entremets.JPG

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

Thanks for the comments. I must admit I was pleased with how it came out - very frustrating to have to give it away and not get a proper taste. (Had a mini one I made with the scraps).

Darienne - no, the décor was after demoulding.

Genkinaonna - with pleasure.

For the mousse:

450g strawberry purée (I also added some lemon juice and crème de fraise to enhance the flavour)

4 leaves of gelatin

140g Italian meringue

170ml cream

For the dacquoise:

150g icing sugar

150g chopped hazelnuts (carefully blended to coarse powder - I actually used 30g of ground almonds to make up the full weight and it worked well)

5 egg whites

50g caster sugar

Do you know what to do from there or would you like a quick step-by-step?

R

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

Many thanks Richard, we'll make it tonight. Aria (my daughter) was literally jumping up and down. Should be fun.

I'll post when it's done...

Not exactly exciting, but it is what I am doing. Getting ready for the annual Dog Weekend at the farm starting on the 26th (long weekend), making muffins and little loaves for breakfasts and snacks, all to be frozen immediately. Poppy seed muffins with that incredible recipe by Pastrygirl which takes one cup...YES ONE CUP...of poppy seeds instead of 2 or 3 dinky tablespoons, blueberry muffins - a recipe given to me by Calipoutine last year, and some teeny tiny corn muffins...just trying out a new pan given to me by my confectionery partner, Barbara. It's called a Big Daddio.

P7210002.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A Tiramisu-inspired cake for a dear friend for her birthday. It's layers of Vanilla Chiffon soaked with espresso and Kahlua simple syrup, frosted with SMBC with a bit of cream cheese added (couldn't use mascarpone this time), dusted with cocoa and surrounded with ladyfingers.

...should be a picture here but it's too big and I don't know how to resize it. :sad:

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Lemon Chiffon w/ berries and lemon butter wafers. I did this as part of the dessert table for an event in Pebble Beach for Town & Country magazine.

The second picture was taken after it got dark, so it didn't come out very well, but it's of the dessert table with assorted logo chocolates, tiramisu and lemon chiffon.

002b.jpg

008b.jpg

Here's the picture:

Tiramisu Cake - compressed.jpg

Beautiful! Are those soft lady's fingers or the dried Savoiardi?

Thanks Kerry! They are Savoiardi and unfortunately I didn't have time to make my own.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

So many beautiful desserts, so many talented eGulleteers! I am just in awe and want to taste EVERYTHING! In particular:

Genkinaonna - your pink pearled cupcakes are adorable!

Richard – loved your strawberry dessert – especially cute was the pink amoeba!

Rick – loved the gooeyness of the cinnamon rolls!

CanadianBakin’ – what a beautiful, beautiful cake! Lucky friend!

Rwood – lovely!! I adore individual desserts.

For Mr. Kim’s birthday celebration, he requested Key Lime Cheesecake:

gallery_3331_172_164196.jpg

messy, but good

gallery_3331_172_167043.jpg

This is served with a sauce of pureed strawberries, butter, 10X and lime zest. I forgot to take a picture of it, but it is nice with the key lime.