• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Here is an entremets based on two classic English desserts. The first is Eton Mess, a haphazard mix of broken meringue, strawberries and cream. I thought it would be fun to try a formal version of this dessert which is normally thrown together. I was also reminded of the dessert served after Encaenia, the honorary degrees ceremony at Oxford University. After the ceremony, an ancient benefaction provides peaches and champagne for all present.

So this is, from the bottom up: a layer of dried French meringue, a layer of a strawberry liqueur flavoured crème allégée (crème pâtissière lightened with whipped cream and set with gelatin), diced strawberries, another disk of meringue, a thin disk of peach jelly, more of the cream and a white chocolate and red CB garnish.

Eton Mess.JPG

Edited by RichardJones (log)

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

A very amateur's contribution to this thread follows. Someday I will cough up the $825 necessary to take a cake class at the French Pastry School in Chicago, but before then, here's my paltry, if proud contribution. Sherry Yard's carrot cake, with ground almonds in the batter, and melted butter drizzled into an egg-sugar base, then whipped with the dry ingredients. Carrot and coconut then folded in. I added some molasses for kicks! No air condiditioning in my kitchen, however, so the cream cheese frosting was a challenge to pipe. As you can see, it's ready to slide off any minute. Enjoy, and happy 4th!

baked.jpg

slather.jpg

finished.jpg

Lizz

---

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

-Wayne Gretzky

lizztwozee – Your cake is gorgeous and delicious sounding! I would be thrilled to produce something that looked like that. You want paltry – read on:

For our Independence day celebration, I made something called ‘Fluffy Pink Lemonade Dessert w/ Pretzel Crust:

gallery_3331_273_125207.jpg

It is a recipe from one of those checkout magazines that I can somehow never resist. I almost never cook from them, but I must buy them. This one was a Betty Crocker Summer Appetizer issue, but had a whole section of desserts. I couldn’t resist the lemon and the pink of this recipe. It had the whole cast: Cool Whip, instant pudding and even food coloring! It was actually really light and refreshing. The tartness of the lemonade concentrate balanced the sweetness pretty well. Everyone loved it and I took very little home.

Slice:

gallery_3331_273_13677.jpg

Very messy slices – wish it firmed up more.

My sweetie is getting in shape for the beach so low carb. But, a girl still wants chocolate at times so I made her a flourless and sugar substitute chocolate cake to reward her hard exercising. Made a chocolate cherry sauce for the top. And no way would I post a pic after the wonderful stuff already here.

I made two desserts for our Sunday brunch.

Pots du Crème:

gallery_3331_274_92975.jpg

I’ve done this recipe a couple of times before. It’s a Pioneer Woman recipe and amazingly good and easy. It’s all done in a blender with super hot milk or coffee. Incredibly smooth and rich.

Limeade Tarts w/ Cherry Sauce:

gallery_3331_274_53885.jpg

Really rich and creamy and refreshing. The cherry sauce was too thick – I misread the amount of cornstarch!

For a friends b'day present I made 3 chocolates from Grewelings book today. Tempering was not easy as its rather hot in my appartment, but they all came out ok. Not bad for an enthusiastic amateur chocolatier on a hot summers day...

Milk chocolate ganache & passionfruit ganache in dark chocolate. This was my first attempt at a dual layer chocolate and came out really well:)

38225143492700625916254.jpg

Dark & stormies in dark chocolate. I decided to use a new transfersheet I havent used before, colored dots are fun but the surface of the actual dots might have been affected by the heat in the flat?

35193143492816628816254.jpg

Dulce de leche in dark chocolate. Here I played around with copper and silver dusts, dusted directly into the moulds before adding the chocolate. The photo does not do them justice as the camera is not very good, the result is really cool.

35061143492848629616254.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier

So last year I made a ton of black raspberry freezer jam (we are overrun with black raspberries on our land). However this jam (maybe because removing the seeds also removed a lot of the pulp) was pretty thin -- more like a thick black raspberry sauce. On Wednesday I melted some 70% Valhrona Manjari and added in about an equal amount (by volume) of this black raspberry jam. OH MY GOD. I nearly fell off my seat it was so good. My husband tried it and told me I could charge $3.00 a lick.

Put the black raspberry chocolate ganache inside chocolate macarons, and the result is heaven. Now I can't wait to make a cake and pour this stuff over it...

IMG_0593Medium.jpg

Thanks, Kim!

The mistake with my last attempt at an Eton Mess entremets was that the meringue disks gradually dissolved into the cream. Pretty obvious when you think about it, but I didn't - we'd only used meringue disks in frozen entrements at school, and I disengaged my brain.

So here is attempt two. I made tiny French meringue drops, dried them and dipped them in white chocolate to seal out the moisture. The décor on top is Italian meringue. The décor on the side is white chocolate with red CB. Unfortunately my sister came and fiddled with the ring of white chocolate and it cracked. Inside is a vanilla bavaroise, the dipped meringues, a disk of raspberry jelly and diced strawberries.

DSC_0002.jpg

Has no one been cooking? Here's a little dessert: a sabayon based chocolate mousse with raspberries, greek yoghurt and honey (rather thrown on the plate).

DSC_0002.jpg

And here are the egg layers in their favourite pot:

DSC_0514.jpg

Edited by RichardJones (log)

Has no one been cooking? Here's a little dessert: a sabayon based chocolate mousse with raspberries, greek yoghurt and honey (rather thrown on the plate).

DSC_0002.jpg

And here are the egg layers in their favourite pot:

DSC_0514.jpg

That dessert looks fabulous Richard. Just caught the top of the second picture when I was scrolling down and thought it was odd there was a pheasant dish in the Daily Sweets - pleased to see is was really your sabayon ingredient producers.

cheesecake made with cream cheese, chevre, and lemon with roasted sweet cherries and thyme infused honey

It's cherry season here (I'm going picking on Thursday!), and I would love to have this recipe, if possible. Thank you, pastrygirl!

For the cheesecake, I put 680 grams soft cream cheese, 400 grams soft fresh chevere, 100 g sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and the microplaned zest of one lemon in the food processor. Process until smooth then add in 3 eggs and 2 egg yolks. I bake individual cheesecakes in disposable aluminum cups - 13 per batch - or this would make one decent sized cheesecake. Bake in a water bath at 325 for an hour or until done.

For the thyme-infused honey, heat honey and fresh time gently and keep warm for a while, until flavor is infused. Strain out thyme.

For roasted cherries, pit fresh red (bing) cherries, toss with a little sugar and water, and bake in a convection oven at 325F , stirring every 15 minutes, until cherries are soft and syrup is reduced.

Enjoy!

I recently bought a small marble slab, heres the result of my second go at tabling when temepering...Its tricky and I ended up with cocolate all over the kitchen but its good fun and I will get there:)

Chocolate caramel in dark chocolate. I wanted to make Grewelings soft caramel, but as the caramel was a tad to soft to cut I piped it into some shells instead where I had played around with silver & bronze luster dust.

dsc00047v.jpg

Red wine ganache in dark chocolate.

dsc00043w.jpg

Brandy infused ganache in dark chocolate.

dsc00048p.jpg

By tarkowski at 2010-08-02

Edited by tarko (log)

/Magnus - happy amateur chocolatier