• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

After putting up a few dozen jars of strawberry jam, a friend taught us how to make , a Finnish oven-baked pancake. Went together beautifully.

Oh my and also with smoked salmon...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Enstrom Copy-cat chocolate-coated toffee. Delicious. Gift packages to re-cement important relationships: vets, Laser Therapy staff, butcher, etc.

finished toffee Apr 10.jpg

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I had a candy-making day. I also made Spiced Candied Nuts a la Szechwan variant. So good. So hot.

The toffee was poured into 'Perfect Brownie' pans which have removable grids which you put down into the brownie batter to make perfectly uniform brownie squares. None of that nasty tiring cutting brownie cake into squares... :raz: But it worked well with the toffee.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

"O Coffee!

Thou dost dispel all care, thou are the object of desire to the scholar.

This is the beverage of the friends of God."

-"In Praise of Coffee," Arabic poem (1511)

DSC01068.JPG

2 coffee genoise layers brushed with kahlúa

alternating with 2 coffee meringue layers

sandwiched with espresso buttercream

mocha glaze

i was annoyed that it wasn't smoother (my meringue swelled) till i glanced at some beans i poured into the grinder and noticed they're not smooth either.

so i'll just say i meant to do that. yeah, that's the ticket...

has anyone seen a coffee cherry up close? are they edible? sweet? bitter? tasteless? toxic? i am never out of the temperate zone...

Nothing too fancy but another first for the novice. Individual Panna Cottas with raspberries and raspberry Chambord sauce.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Fruit Torte. A loyer of short dough, topped with raspberry jam, three layers of almond genoise and vanilla italian meringue buttercream.

Oh my!!! :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

This one is even richer...A Dobos torte. 6 layers of almon sponge and filled/topped with french buttercream. All of that is topped with a caramel coated genoise layer....Picture 063.jpgPicture 065.jpg

You are killing me. I LOVE Dobos Torte. WHen I was a kid we travelled a lot to Hungary and I remember we always bought Dobos Dorte form a fabulous bakery in Budapest. They would put my 1 slice of cake in a beautiful box with a ribbon and Id shlep it proudly around for a while. memories. sigh :)

Today I made stewed fruit (with nuts and cocoa nibs); dark chocolate, banana and cranberry cake; gluten free banana, cinnamon and raisin cake and gluten free fruit scones (english); all sugar free. I also made sweet potato (GF) pancakes with cinnamon.

I've never made any of them before (ie sugar free and gluten free) and am really happy as they all came out tasting great and with a good texture.

Yesterday I made gluten free spinach and cheese tartlets which also came out great.

I am on a roll!!!!!

This one is even richer...A Dobos torte. 6 layers of almon sponge and filled/topped with french buttercream. All of that is topped with a caramel coated genoise layer....Picture 063.jpgPicture 065.jpg

You are killing me. I LOVE Dobos Torte. WHen I was a kid we travelled a lot to Hungary and I remember we always bought Dobos Dorte form a fabulous bakery in Budapest. They would put my 1 slice of cake in a beautiful box with a ribbon and Id shlep it proudly around for a while. memories. sigh :)

I wonder if you went to this bakery called, Gerbeaud. It was and still is, the typical old traditional coffee house where a lot of business deals where made. You still see an elegant lady with her puddle(sitting in a basket) having a cup of coffee and a bit of pastry.

http://gotohungary.com/site/upload/2008/01/GerbeaudHaz_kulso.jpg

Edited by oli (log)

Last week blackberries were something like three pints for $5, so I made blackberry tarts and still haven't finished all the blackberries--

BlackberryTart,b,01,web.jpg

And my three year old son has been asking for bundt cakes, so we made some chocolate mini bundts this morning--

chocolateminibundt,web.jpg

Spring, do you have a recipe source of GF to direct me to? Thanks for all the (boom!)posts all of a sudden!! :laugh:

LOL, yes i seem to be taking over the board lately :)

The chocoalte course I did with Maya really got me back into the chocolate making (baking is my relaxation)

I had loads of recipes for gf but a virus wiped everything out. I usually make my own mix of flours for 2 reasons, first the one we can buy here in the supermarket is horrible and secondly my husband cant have any carbs apart from corn. When I can be bothered i make a mix of the flours, usually cornflour, a bit of corn flour (the finely ground polenta) a teeny bit of buckwheat and quinoa (although not much as i cant stand the bitter taste) and tapioca. Im going to be a bit more adventurous and add teff and xanthan gum next time. You must use tapioca as it helps bind. Also add a bit more liquid as GF is drier. Once you have your flour recipe just substitute as you would for regular flour (apart from the added liquid) there is a great book available in hebrew, ive seen it in the supermarket for about 30nis, Ugot Barega (lol) or Easy Baking with Hana shaulov, great easy recipes that always work and she has GF egg free and sf recipes too, i highly recommend you get it. I bought xanthan gum and guar in gan shmuel. hth

okay, thanks! Am I supposed to know that you did a chocolate course with Maya? :wink:

Did you ever think of using a thermomix to grind flours? At the workshop I was at last Fri, they ground popcorn kernals to flour (or they planned to but time ran out)and humus beans (garbunzo) also to flour. Likewise can be done with almonds or any grain. It was quite amazing.

Edited by Lior (log)

okay, thanks! Am I supposed to know that you did a chocolate course with Maya? :wink:

Did you ever think of using a thermomix to grind flours? At the workshop I was at last Fri, they ground popcorn kernals to flour (or they planned to but time ran out)and humus beans (garbunzo) also to flour. Likewise can be done with almonds or any grain. It was quite amazing.

Well you do now! :D

Id LOVE to get the Thermomix so much!! I so nearly got it but its just too expensive for me at the moment :(((

I bought the Santha grinder a while ago and will be ordering a melter so no money left for the lovely thermomix. Have you got it?

I'm super happy with this chocolate-banana muffin recipe that I just posted on my blog. Vegan, but you would not know it. I find that vegan baked goods are often lacking in texture and flavor, but not these. The muffins are very moist, chocolate-y and banana-y!

Chocolate Banana Muffins

1/2 c. + 2 T. soy milk

2 T. flax meal

1 c. whole wheat pastry flour

1 c. rolled oats, finely ground in a food processor

1/3 c. packed dark brown sugar

1/4 t. salt

1/4 t. cinnamon

1/3 c. cocoa powder

2 t. baking powder

3/4 t. baking soda

1 heaping cup of mashed extremely ripe banana

1/4 c. maple syrup

1 1/2 t. vanilla

2 T. organic canola oil

Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl, mix together the flax meal and soy milk, and set aside for 5 or more minutes. Then add the banana, maple syrup, vanilla and oil and mix well. Combine the dry ingredients in a second bowl, then add to the wet, stirring briefly. Line a large muffin tin with 12 paper liners, and fill each about 3/4 full. Bake for 23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

optimized-img_8583.jpg

DeEttas – both of those tortes are just gorgeous!

David – your little Bundts are beautiful. Was that pan metal or silicone?

jaredrakes - “So many things are still red.” :laugh::laugh: I remember making a cake for my daughter that required red, dark green, dark blue and BLACK frosting. I kept finding smears of color for weeks! Your cake is adorable. Do NOT make excuses for it!

Some weekend baking:

gallery_3331_119_165027.jpg

Orange-Cranberry muffins. I found a fat-free mix in the pantry. I have no idea where they came from since I never buy anything like that (maybe when Jessica moved back in?), but rather than waste it, I messed with it a little bit – an extra egg, dried orange peel flakes and an orange juice and 10X glaze and they weren’t bad at all.

Crumb:

gallery_3331_119_53954.jpg

I also made some oatmeal cookies to take to the office:

gallery_3331_119_5187.jpg

This is my go-to recipe, perfected over the last 35 years or so that makes a good, chewy, BIG cooky.