• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

And here's a little hen in time for Easter. She's sitting in a dark nest on a milk base.

hen.jpg

So detailed, it looks like a piece of porcelain ! Gorgeous

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Richard – those spheres are awe inspiring. The sheen is like a mirror!

emmalish – your muffins look delicious.

I made cupcakes from Michael Ruhlman’s recipe for pound cake from Ratio:

gallery_3331_119_115960.jpg

The only thing that I did differently was to use 10X in the glaze. I was taking them to work after we had one each and I thought a more icing like glaze would go over better with them:

gallery_3331_119_109300.jpg

Gorgeous crumb:

gallery_3331_119_122390.jpg

Richard – those spheres are awe inspiring. The sheen is like a mirror!

emmalish – your muffins look delicious.

I made cupcakes from Michael Ruhlman’s recipe for pound cake from Ratio:

gallery_3331_119_115960.jpg

The only thing that I did differently was to use 10X in the glaze. I was taking them to work after we had one each and I thought a more icing like glaze would go over better with them:

gallery_3331_119_109300.jpg

Gorgeous crumb:

gallery_3331_119_122390.jpg

OMG those look fantastic

I've finally gotten around to making Dorie Greenspan's World Peace Cookies. OMG people, someone tell me why I haven't made these before!?

eg_world_peace_040410_1.jpg

Just look at this cookie!

eg_world_peace_040410_2.jpg

Seriously, the photo doesn't do it justice. These cookies are so chocolatey, they're almost black. I think I've just heard so many raves about them that I was afraid they couldn't possibly live up to all the hype. Boy was I wrong.

The plan was to have a few myself and take the rest to work. Heh. That ain't happenin'. :unsure:

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

This cake was a major pain. The people couldn't decide what they wanted. It was a birthday cake for only 10-12 people, but it had to be a "display". I don't do cakes full time, I would go nuts. I'm sure there will be something wrong with it anyway.

002.JPG

This cake was a major pain. The people couldn't decide what they wanted. It was a birthday cake for only 10-12 people, but it had to be a "display". I don't do cakes full time, I would go nuts. I'm sure there will be something wrong with it anyway.

Looks pretty amazing for a major pain! Love the shells - what are they made with?

The shells and coral are a 50/50 mix of fondant and gumpaste. There are a few real ones mixed in (that's how they wanted it). I used lustre dust to color them. I think the cake is fine, but if you saw the 30 something emails back and forth, you would understand :hmmm:

emmalish – I am also ashamed that I haven’t ever made these after hearing all the raves. Now that I’ve SEEN them, I’ve gotta make them! Wow.

My Easter dessert buffet:

gallery_3331_257_223284.jpg

Sugar cookies:

gallery_3331_257_95909.jpg

Coconut cake w/ lemon curd filling:

gallery_3331_257_91034.jpg

inside:

gallery_3331_257_260187.jpg

Meringue cupcakes:

gallery_3331_257_64018.jpg

This was a Martha Stewart recipe. Gluten free for a niece – I served them with whipped cream and macerated strawberries and brushed them with luster dust for a pretty touch:

gallery_3331_257_146254.jpg

Carrot cake cooky bars:

gallery_3331_257_161133.jpg

No pictures, sorry, but I made some little creme brulees on Sunday. I'd bought some St. Marcellin cheese and it came in tiny little crocks (about 1/3 cup). The salesperson mentioned that the crocks would be great for little creme brulees and so of course I had to make some.

Whenever I make snickerdoodles I always have leftover sugar/cinnamon mix, and some time back I made something else (I forget what) that I rolled in a sugar/ginger mix. Well, I sifted and combined the two sugar mixes, then put them away and forgot all about them - until these creme brulees!

Mmm, mmm! Had to use regular brown sugar for the carmelized sugar topping, though (the spices in the sugar mix burned).

i know easter is long over, but i was too busy to post then...

orange / sour cream pound cake

tangerines and blood oranges macerated in cointreau and orange-blossom water

(i found this pan at the goodwill for 3 bucks!)

P1010878.JPG

panna cotta with orange sauce, raspberries, mint and candied violets

(found this pan at st.vincent de paul for 2 bucks!)

P1010826.JPG

Someone at work ordered a giant cupcake cake to give to a friend:

gallery_3331_119_196072.jpg

The cake was a weird recipe – Melted Ice Cream Cake. It’s one of those Ann Byrn cake mix fix-up recipes. I still haven’t found a yellow cake recipe that I love, so when someone requests yellow cake, I tend to tart up a cake mix. This was actually pretty good – you just add melted ice cream in place of any water and oil to the cake mix and then add eggs. The cake was very moist and dense and rich flavored. The frosting is my usual Fudgy Chocolate Buttercream. I used a yellow-dyed white buttercream on the bottom to mimic a paper cupcake cup.

For my birthday today, one of my favorites:

Mexican Chocolate Icebox Cake:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101955

101955_116.jpg

Happy Birthday !!!!!! The cake looks yum.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

Dessert started with thawed extra frozen whipping cream and ended up as Creme Anglaise with Floating Islands with blackberries.

The little meringues were so good. And with less sugar than I have seen in a recipe...but then I have little experience.

little meringues.jpg

Here's the dessert. Took a bite before I remembered the eG credo: First we photograph; then we eat.

one bite taken.jpg

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Coconut Blondies

Have not tasted yet but my BH says they are like a yummy exotic chocolate chip cookie.

coconutblondies.jpg

coconutblondie.jpg