• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

It looks great. I followed the link to David's recipe thanks for providing it. He did not specify what type of flour to use. What type did you use ?

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I made a low-fat apple cake for a friend who's at home recovering from recent surgery. Lots of apple, coated with a sugar-cinnamon mixture...

eg_apples.jpg

just before it went in the oven, with more of the sugar-cinnamon sprinkled on top...

eg_applecake1.jpg

just after it came out, with a lovely cracked top...

eg_applecake2.jpg

and out of the pan...

eg_applecake3.jpg

I'm very tempted to bake another one so I can show how beautiful it is sliced, too.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

That's a little beauty. I have to make something for guests on Wednesday...perhaps an apple cake.

This couple, whom we have never met, is bringing their two Bassets for a first play-date with our two Rotties. What does one serve??? Something with a St. Patrick's theme or a dog theme? What could be a dog-themed cake for humans??? :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

That's a little beauty. I have to make something for guests on Wednesday...perhaps an apple cake.

This couple, whom we have never met, is bringing their two Bassets for a first play-date with our two Rotties. What does one serve??? Something with a St. Patrick's theme or a dog theme? What could be a dog-themed cake for humans??? :raz:

Gingerbread cut with a dog bone cookie cutter and drizzlked with a lemon glaze? Ginger cookies ditto, there used to be a recipe floating around for a "Kitty Litter Cake" since most dogs think those are snacks, with extra crunchies added... :shock::laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Gingerbread cut with a dog bone cookie cutter and drizzlked with a lemon glaze? Ginger cookies ditto, there used to be a recipe floating around for a "Kitty Litter Cake" since most dogs think those are snacks, with extra crunchies added... :shock::laugh:

Don't know about the Kitty Litter idea...

Besides having some dog chocolate molds, I also have a quite large dog cookie mold. 7" high x 4 3/4" at the widest point. (We host a Dog Weekend every August for friends and dogs...yes, it is somewhat chaotic and so I do own a number of doggy things.)

Thanks judiu. :smile: Time will be the deciding factor.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You are a cruel pair, making mock of me and my dogs. Could you but meet them. Morgan is huge, but a wuss from the word go. Cowers when approached by a terrifying Lhasa Apso or Shih Tzu. Sable is a more alpha and will defend Morgan when needed. Both are completely socialized as regards both humans and dogs and useless as watch dogs.

The cake is for the humans...as if you didn't know. I do have homemade biscuits for the dogs, of course. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

citrus!

citrus.jpg

7" genoise halves (brushed with the respective juices),

italian meringue buttercream (flavored with the respective juices & oils),

lemon curd,

lime curd,

tangerine curd,

pink grapefruit curd (ok i added some blood orange juice to color)

white chocolate seeds and membranes

citrus!

citrus.jpg

lemon curd,

lime curd,

tangerine curd,

Beautiful. The respective flavors seem to leap out of each.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Not sure about freezing – I think the cake itself would freeze great, but I'd worry about what might happen to the chunks of apple in there. But seriously, this cake is so good, you won't have any leftovers to freeze!

I see your point. What I am searching for is some cake that I CAN freeze...as in make two, freeze one.

We had our doggy humans and pups today and I had made my usual lemon curd poppy seed cake for the humans. It was delicious, it didn't rise properly and was a trifle lead-like. I could not serve it. Oh, for something I could have whipped out of the freezer at the last minute. As it was, I quickly made some chocolate molded doggy shapes and all was well. But I really could use that freezable cake!! :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

citrus!

citrus.jpg

lemon curd,

lime curd,

tangerine curd,

I am just utterly, utterly speechless and awestruck! What amazingly beautiful cakes. If I ever made something that looked like that, I could just roll over and die - my life goals complete! Bravo!

Rhubab and ginger crubmle with custard.

It's a classic!

I caramalised the rhubarb in the pan with the ginger then gave it a douse of rum before getting it in the oven. Loved the flavour from the syrup.

As the picture shows, you can never have too much custard! (unfortunately it's ice cream only with today's second round of crumble!)

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

bunnies 005.jpg

Here are my Easter bunnies. White are passionfruit marshmallow, milk are gianduja and dark are manjari/madagascar. They are just looking for a good home.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com