• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Oh what photos! Beautiful Beautiful. And for those cruel folks who just linked photos of their master pieces to flickr PLEASE, PLEASE post your photos here. It is so so easy now.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

abooja – I am in the process of cleaning out my freezers to prep for holiday baking and I don’t have any caramel – but now I wish I did!

I made a Red Velvet cake from Cooks’ Country Magazine for a work birthday today. Her birthday is actually Halloween, so I tarted it up with ‘blood’ and gummy eyeballs:

P1030203.JPG

P1030205.JPG

It was a LOT redder than it looks in the picture. I’m not a big fan of Red Velvet. To me, it has an off-putting aftertaste. Possibly the dye since I’ve heard that some people are sensitive to the flavor. But it was a request and everyone loved it.

My mother always requests Halloween cookies. These are fun, but take too much time to be profitable :smile:

Those are just beautiful! Great piping skills. I need to start practicing!! Happy Halloween!

Thanks! I love Halloween.

Claire Fontaine from the Lenotre Pastrymaking book.

Layers of ladyfinger biscuit cake soaked in orange punch and vanilla bavarian-type cream with bits of candied orange in it. Topped with slices of candied orange and then a clear glaze on top.

gallery_45604_6793_43250.jpg

Edited by gap (log)

Sorry I was so excited that I finally downloaded a picture that I forgot to mention the flavors.

Here they are....

First row to the left is Plain ganache with Peruvian Salt sprinkled on top

Next row is Kona Coffee Truffles with a coffee bean on top

Next row is Cherry Truffle made with Washington Cherry Extract with a dried cherry on top

Last row is 2 Cream De Menth Truffles (it's the one with a gold/green razzle dazzle dust on it)

and the other one is a Sereno Chile Truffle with a pink razzle dazzle dust on it. I dusted them

so I could tell which flavor is what.

Thanks,

Rena

So many wonderful looking (and tasting) sweets lately. But I have to say, I love the little Mummy cupcakes best! The child in me speaks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Little strange, I don't normally find myself kicking it here with the bakers :-p but it's 4 AM, I couldn't sleep, so a few hours ago I figured I needed some bread or something for the morning, so I made a batch of brioche - and forgot my loaf pans were elsewhere so I figured some smaller variation would work best. Plus I didn't have much else going on this early, so of course I took a picture lol

briocherolls.jpg

Everyone's stuff looks great. Making me a little jealous with all the cupcakes and cakes and whatnot, I just don't have the energy to do that sort of thing much, plus desserts have never really been my strong point. I think i'll stick to my breads :laugh:

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality.

New York Style Crumb Cake......lots of crummy, yummy crumbs.

NY_Crumb Cake.jpg

NY_Crumb_cakeII.jpg

First attempt.....have not tasted it yet.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb