• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

blueice2.jpg

wild blueberry ice cream - sous vide wild blueberries - wild blueberry syrup - oatmeal cookie crumble

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Some of the morning show hosts at work today were discussing on air the flavor combination of chocolate with bacon. The female host had dipped bacon in the fondue she made the night before and loved it. The male host couldn't even wrap his mind around it, so I offered to make something for their feature "Recipe Thursdays" (we recorded it today so that I didn't have to come into work at 6 am). I did bacon/dark chocolate truffles rolled in a salty pecan crust. They were pretty good, IIDSSM.

After we recorded the segment, I put the leftovers in the break room intending to take pictures later. When I came back there were just pecan crumbs left in the bottom of the bowl, so I guess they were good! :biggrin:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Some of the morning show hosts at work today were discussing on air the flavor combination of chocolate with bacon. The female host had dipped bacon in the fondue she made the night before and loved it. The male host couldn't even wrap his mind around it, so I offered to make something for their feature "Recipe Thursdays" (we recorded it today so that I didn't have to come into work at 6 am). I did bacon/dark chocolate truffles rolled in a salty pecan crust. They were pretty good, IIDSSM.

After we recorded the segment, I put the leftovers in the break room intending to take pictures later. When I came back there were just pecan crumbs left in the bottom of the bowl, so I guess they were good! :biggrin:

Do you have a recipe? It sounds awesome!

Today I tried my first Julia Child recipe inspired by the movie. 011.JPG

Its a Gateau Reine de Sada made according to Julia's instructions with some liberties taken. The chocolete buttercream was a hoot to work with. Later friends are coming over to try it. I will report back.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Here they are. I'll probably add them to recipegullet later.

I don't know why that link didn't show up here. Here it is again: http://www.kpla.com/cookbook.shtml

Thanks! I thought maybe you had tried to add a picture, but it didn't work out.

Just to clarify--the recipe says "6 - 8 slices of back". I'm assuming that should be "bacon" not "back bacon"?

Lovely, lovely desserts everyone!

dystopiandreamgirl – your leaf cake is, live EVERYTHING you make, absolutely gorgeous and amazing! And the mini pizzelles with the berries are adorable. The picture is great – I can imagine the taste and POP of those berries! Thank you for sharing your lovely creations with us.

Well, I have one pretty ordinary, but delicious offering:

P1030144.JPG

These are Elinor Klivan’s Super-Sized Ginger Chewies with Sugar Babies. One of our favorite cookies. The little drippy looking bits on the right are melted out Sugar Babies – these bits get very brittle when they cool. I just break them off and they become a cook’s treat! These are going in the freezer as a gift for a friend we are seeing in PA next weekend.

For dinner last night, I did a Ginger Mascarpone Icebox Cake w/ Caramel Apple Sauce:

P1030131.JPG

P1030135.JPG

I’ve made this before (and Marlene has, too, I think). It’s from "The 150 Best American Recipes" by Fran McCullough & Molly Stevens. Someone at eG recommended the recipe. It’s just so good and easy – no cooking and you make it the day before you serve it. I had some maple caramel sauce in the fridge and sautéed some apples to make a sauce to serve with the cake.

I made a double batch of snickerdoodles yesterday for the kids at school. I've finally figured out that in my new convection oven, it's ten minutes exactly at 400 degrees (the oven automatically turns it down to 375 when I ask for "convection bake"). The trick is to take them out before they look done.

Also, I've been making apple galettes a lot lately - dead easy; frozen puff pastry (I just thaw it, double a folded sheet over and roll it out to make a roughly 9 x 14 inch rectangle (2 per halfsheet pan), build up the sides, fill with sliced tart apples and sugar and butter, with a little bit of cinnamon, and grace with a bit of thinned down apricot preserves. It takes no time at all to make a pretty design with the apples, and it always gets oohs and ahs. Freezes and reheats easily, too.

eyes 002.jpg

After all the beautiful photos, I will post my Halloween Eyeballs:-) They are filled with a gooey gray caramel. They are gross to look at, but were fun to make, and they taste good.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

eyes 002.jpg

After all the beautiful photos, I will post my Halloween Eyeballs:-) They are filled with a gooey gray caramel. They are gross to look at, but were fun to make, and they taste good.

Out-FREAKIN'-standing !!

Edit to say.......OK, that was *supposed* to pull your pic along with the reply. Because really, w/out the pic, the comment looses it's punch.

Guess I'm still learning this new software.......or sumthin'.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Darienne,

Its isomalt, I dye it orange and bake it between 2 silpats at 350 for about 15 min. let it harden about 10 min the peel the silpat off and break it into pieces..

patrick

Thank you, Patrick. :smile: Interesting. Your answer sent me off into the archives. Isomalt is not in my near future, but who knows...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for posting the Bacon Truffle recipe. I just noticed it today. It actually sounds good! When I was in Chicago in the spring I tried the Vosges bacon bar. I liked it! Here's my question for those in the know... How would bacon in a truffle hold up for shelf life?

I don't know how Vosges does it... I know they use real bacon - and the bar says "consume within 6 months"????? :shock:

*edited to add the quote - forgot it.

Edited by mostlylana (log)

Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend, I decided to use some of the summers bounty for my contribution... the dessert. I vac-packed and froze most of the wild blueberries I picked this year. With some of the sweet corn from the farmers market, I cut the corn and scraped the juice from the cobs and vac-packed and froze it. I also vac-packed the cobs and froze them. I used some of the blueberries to make a blueberry crisp and some of the corn and cobs to make sweet corn ice cream. I then told everybody present that if they wanted pumpkin pie they were at the wrong dinner this year. :raz:

blueberrycorn3.jpg

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.