• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

those look perfect!  do you have a preferred recipe?  or do you find that the italian or french method works better for you?   i still have problems...with both methods!  either they don't puff up, or they do and they're hollow, or i dont get good feet....uggg....any thoughts? :)

If I had to pick one that I really liked, its the French meringue recipe in Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme. In terms of appearance, they are not the greatest -- they tend to develop irregularities on the surface -- but, they taste great, have a great texture IMHO (never that chalky, sugar crust overload), a great chocolate flavor, and in my experience are totally reliable. I make them just like the recipe says, except that I use aged whites and let them dry for ~30 mins before baking. This is how they turn out for me:

gallery_23736_355_33326.jpg

I have also had a good experience with the Italian meringue recipe Nicole Kaplan posted on the demo thread, scaled down to a home kitchen scale.

thanks patrick :) those look perfect to me!!! i have pierre's book, but haven't made it to that recipe yet (especially since macarons scare the crap out of me!) (Sure like to eat them though...)

but i'll give it a try when i have a moment....

have you tried it with non-chocolate macarons? do you add extra almond flour to compensate for taking out cocoa?

thanks!!!!!

thanks patrick :)  those look perfect to me!!!  i have pierre's book, but haven't made it to that recipe yet (especially since macarons scare the crap out of me!)  (Sure like to eat them though...)

but i'll give it a try when i have a moment....

have you tried it with non-chocolate macarons?  do you add extra almond flour to compensate for taking out cocoa?

thanks!!!!!

I have tried that before, and visually they turned out fine, but they were really delicate. Here's what they looked like (from waaay back in 2004):

gallery_23736_355_1100528323.jpg

I would recommend instead trying a different recipe though for non-chocolate macs. There are some good recipes that work so that you dont have to adapt anything.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

More macarons -- chocolate french meringue macarons with sea salted caramel filling:

gallery_23736_355_38183.jpg

Also made some italian meringue strawberry macarons that turned out really well,

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Last night I tried this Swiss Meringue Macaron and I'm really happy with the results. They turned out great on the first try. I put lime zest in the batter and filled them with lime SMBC.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

More macarons. These were made with an italian meringue and are filled with a white chocolate ganache flavored with powdered dehydrated strawberries.

gallery_23736_355_17532.jpg

gallery_23736_355_12350.jpg

gallery_23736_355_7327.jpg

gallery_23736_355_13297.jpg

More macarons. These were made with an italian meringue and are filled with a white chocolate ganache flavored with powdered dehydrated strawberries.

gallery_23736_355_13297.jpg

Sad to say I have never tasted a macaron and indeed had never even heard of them until recently, but I have to say that you do make the most exquisite macarons. They are so perfect. :wub: Someday, maybe...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Dude! (Yeah, I know... "80's-dude-alert". Can't help it, those were my teen years. :biggrin:) You've got the macs down to an art. Very nice.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Wonderful Macarons! Would you mind sharing your recipe for the coconut/passionfruit and/or your strawberry/vanilla macs? Please?

Cheers

Hi folks! I hope everyone is well -- its been a long time since I've logged in, but I still check the threads from time to time. I've been on a macaron kick lately. One I did was a coconut macaron (using half almond-half coconut), with a passion fruit white chocolate ganache filling. I took great pains to make the coconut very fine - grinding and regrinding it, and them seiving it to remove the bits that refused to be broken down. The filling took some adjustment. I started with a passion fruit curd, but it was too thin to stand up to the cookies. So I made a wc ganache and added some of the curd to that, and it worked fine.

gallery_23736_355_39059.jpg

I also made a strawberry macaron with vanilla mousseline buttercream. I actually used fine ground dried strawberries in the cookies, and was pleasantly surprised by the flavor -- nice, strong strawberry flavor and aroma. Will try to post some pics at some point.

Lemme add my macarons to the mix,

orange flavoured using Angostura Orange bitters,

Italian meringue for me, being lazy I made a whipped up vanilla cream cheese filling.

The coconut powder is a good idea, its used a lot with curries etc and is natural.

I'm gonna try it soon.

gallery_43859_4156_99080.jpg

gallery_43859_4156_115584.jpg

gallery_43859_4156_31746.jpg

Edited by lennyk (log)

Orange Praline Chocolate Torte

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gluucose/

I took a look at your work and they look so wonderful, simply fantastic. Any chance you could share the recipe and the chestnut sour cherry? I know it would create a,"wow, you made that?" at my work place.

oli,

My recipes are at work but will send soon, thanks

You made all these incredibly beautiful desserts at your work place? I wish you worked near where we live! :wub: Is it a major restaurant or pastry store or catering outfit?

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I see! And it goes with sweet? Is the filling sweet? I think it was an extremely elegant looking plate. Thanks for the answer!

It wasnt the best combo but it was for a theme dinner, more fun then anything. The rice was sweet..

Orange Praline Chocolate Torte

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gluucose/

I took a look at your work and they look so wonderful, simply fantastic. Any chance you could share the recipe and the chestnut sour cherry? I know it would create a,"wow, you made that?" at my work place.

oli,

My recipes are at work but will send soon, thanks

You made all these incredibly beautiful desserts at your work place? I wish you worked near where we live! :wub: Is it a major restaurant or pastry store or catering outfit?

A restaurant in manhattan, nyc..

it's red currant season, and being very tart they offset sweet things quite nicely...

gallery_8512_4054_31005.jpg

vanilla butter cake with red currants and elderflower creme anglaise

(i found a bottle of elderflower concentrate at Ikea and it makes things delicious)

gallery_8512_4054_1070.jpg

individual pavlovas w vanilla whipped cream and white chocolate currant leaves

gallery_8512_4054_3380.jpg

all butter pastry crust, pastry cream flavored with physalis eau de vie

OMG-Beautiful!

Some of the recent desserts in Nami-Nami kitchen:  :raz:

Tarte aux Myrtilles aka French Blueberry/Bilberry Tart:

gallery_43137_2974_95132.jpg

Estonian Strawberry Roulade:

gallery_43137_2974_61249.jpg

Strawberries with Amaretto cream and crushed meringues:

gallery_43137_2974_58219.jpg

Strawberries with Elderflower Zabaglione:

gallery_43137_2974_7539.jpg

Strawberries in Cointreau syrup:

gallery_43137_2974_68247.jpg

Just gorgeous, not to mention the eye watering pictures.

I like your name, the same as what the fellow students useto call my mother.