• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Really nice stuff everybody. I'm going to have to check out that cake, I'm in the fruitcake-lover crowd as well. Any time a recipe from andiesenji or The Old Foodie shows up, I make sure to at least take a look at it. They both have some cool stuff in their archives.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

how did you make those gorgeous leaves?!!  did you paint a million leaves with tempered chocolate?  if you did, then how did you get those ones to bend?!  wow...amazed :)

not a million, but well over a hundred.

i put a couple of square cake pans in the freezer, took them out one at a time, alternating to keep them cold;

laid each leaf as i finished it (either inside the pan, [which i propped at an angle], folding in on itself, or outside bent back on itself) at the table where i was brushing them, and after doing three or so transferred them to the freezer to finish setting;

did another batch and upon transferring took the last batch out and unpeeled, set them on the cake,

rinse and repeat...

i had originally envisioned the idea as the cake being on a pedestal, and continuing with some leaves dripping down off the pedestal, even onto the table. but at 3 am, with a day job to get to at 8, i said 'to hell with it' and left it as is. the creative process can be entertaining - i think what makes this attractive is the border that the pointed ends make around the base - but that was not included in my (admittedly inchoate) vision of it. i love it when creations go their own way, sometimes better than i originally anticipated. even if it's due to hitting the limits of my technical expertise, or a time constraint

i think it could be an awesome wedding cake design, with the leaves sliding all the way down three or four tiers...

thanks for explaining! i'm assuming untempered chocolate if you're doing the freezer thing...maybe makes it easier to peel off and stick on cake? well, whatever you're doing...keep it up. i am still awed and slightly stunned at how beautiful it is!! :P

A baby cake I made last week for one of my sorority sister's little girl....we also did a smash cake for baby helen to dig into!

the cake was a 9 and 6 tiered, and the smash a 4 inch. It consisted of white cake w/citrus sugar syrup to moisten, strawberry puree and strawberry italian buttercream for filling, and then covered in american buttercream and marshmallow fondant (except smash didn't have fondant)

lots of fun...and very girly! hope you smile when you see it :)

gallery_60295_6566_68112.jpg

gallery_60295_6566_64300.jpg

gallery_60295_6566_57205.jpg

thanks for explaining!  i'm assuming untempered chocolate if you're doing the freezer thing...maybe makes it easier to peel off and stick on cake?  well, whatever you're doing...keep it up.  i am still awed and slightly stunned at how beautiful it is!!  :P

no, i do temper the chocolate, seed method the majority of the time. i never heard the warnings regarding the freezer till years after i was already using it. i find it sets them up quickly, makes it easier to peel the leaves off and results in more shine.

as i understand, the risk of using the freezer is the onset of sugar bloom. the only time i experienced that fallout was when i made chocolate marijuana leaves...and the resultant sugar bloom resembled the resin that is considered desirable in a real cannabis leaf, so i actually worked to my advantage.

here are more leaves i set while draped over objects to bend...not droopy but undulating...

gallery_8512_4054_70579.jpg

thanks for explaining!  i'm assuming untempered chocolate if you're doing the freezer thing...maybe makes it easier to peel off and stick on cake?  well, whatever you're doing...keep it up.  i am still awed and slightly stunned at how beautiful it is!!  :P

no, i do temper the chocolate, seed method the majority of the time. i never heard the warnings regarding the freezer till years after i was already using it. i find it sets them up quickly, makes it easier to peel the leaves off and results in more shine.

as i understand, the risk of using the freezer is the onset of sugar bloom. the only time i experienced that fallout was when i made chocolate marijuana leaves...and the resultant sugar bloom resembled the resin that is considered desirable in a real cannabis leaf, so i actually worked to my advantage.

here are more leaves i set while draped over objects to bend...not droopy but undulating...

gallery_8512_4054_70579.jpg

love you. :biggrin: keep inspiring us with your beautiful photos!!

as i understand, the risk of using the freezer is the onset of sugar bloom.  the only time i experienced that fallout was when i made chocolate marijuana leaves...and the resultant sugar bloom resembled the resin that is considered desirable in a real cannabis leaf, so i actually worked to my advantage. 

(Ahem) and you would know this HOW? :laugh::raz: (runs away, as fast as I can lumber...)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Everyone really should try making the andiesenji’s cake – it was so good start to finish – Mr. Kim finished it up last night and a week later, it was delicious.

chocoera – those cakes are adorable and I loved the idea of the little one!

dystopiandreamgirl – Goodness! You did it again! What an amazing cake. Just exquisite.

For dessert at the 4th of July celebration that we attended, I made an absolutely delicious lemon-poppy seed cake filled with strawberries, jam and frosted with a white chocolate whipped cream:

gallery_3331_119_133208.jpg

gallery_3331_119_177200.jpg

The cake was a pain to frost – as the whipped cream got warm, it slumped and ran off the cake. I wondered as I was doing it if it wouldn’t be better to just make a white chocolate buttercream, but the whipped cream was perfect. Next time, I’ll chill the cake and the whipped cream before trying to frost the cake.

dystopiandreamgirl: i'm rubbing my eyes in amazement anytime a photo of one of your creations pop up on my screen... it's hard to believe that those things are real... breathtaking! you're amazing.

kim: your cake looks delicious!

seeing those perfect strawberries on kim's cake inspired me to try a fraisier:

gallery_63294_6606_51373.jpg

Having a poor match of marshmallows to graham crackers, I ended up with crackers. Made Gale Gand's graham cracker cranberry chocolate bars. Kid stuff, but I had the ingredients and could manage to have the oven on for ten minutes. Almost no bake. It will be nice to have them around the house for a couple of days.

dystopiandreamgirl: i'm rubbing my eyes in amazement anytime a photo of one of your creations pop up on my screen... it's hard to believe that those things are real... breathtaking! you're amazing.

kim: your cake looks delicious!

seeing those perfect strawberries on kim's cake inspired me to try a fraisier:

gallery_63294_6606_51373.jpg

Just beautiful! I hope it tasted as good as it looked.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Kim Shook, that cake looks really yummy!

hansjoakim: beautiful cake. fresh strawberries and cream- perfect combination.

Blueberry Yoghurt Cake with a Lemon Glaze

gallery_64119_6577_31128.jpg

Dorie Greenspan's Espresso Sablés

gallery_64119_6577_155693.jpg

Any hope of a recipe for the blueberry cake? It looks like it would be something I 'd love :wub: !

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

QUOTE DeliciouslyLekker,Jul 8 2009, 09:01 AM]

Blueberry Yoghurt Cake with a Lemon Glaze

gallery_64119_6577_31128.jpg

The cake looks great! Did you use a 9x5 loaf pan?

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I used a ruler to measure my loaf pan. It's 26cm x 12cm(in inches: 10.2 x 4.7) at the top but it kind of slopes inwards.

Thanks!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.