• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Strawberry week concludes with these Choux strips. They are based on a formula in Bo Fribergs book. Its puff pastry topped with pastry cream, pate a choux, strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, and flat icing.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/12409508..._6368_17924.jpg

Dan

impressive output, dan!! do you manage to work your way through it all? :wink:

i've wanted to make the choux strips from friberg's book ever since i first saw them. i'm planning a puff rolling session sometime next week, so i'll hopefully have a go soon. do you like the recipe, dan?

Thanks!

There are a few left. I plan to make a nice pitcher of strawberry daquiries tonight. The recipe is really good. My wife takes 2/3s of what I make to work and these disappeared quicker than most.

Wife and I went strawberry picking over the weekend and came home with 5 lbs of berries.

Item #1 is a strawberry rhubarb tart.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll57/da...yRubarbTart.jpg

Dan

That image has taken pride of place on my iPhone screensaver, gorgeous dan.

You are free to put it on your iPhone as long as you do not take credit. :)

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Strawberry week concludes with these Choux strips. They are based on a formula in Bo Fribergs book. Its puff pastry topped with pastry cream, pate a choux, strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, and flat icing.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/12409508..._6368_17924.jpg

Dan

impressive output, dan!! do you manage to work your way through it all? :wink:

i've wanted to make the choux strips from friberg's book ever since i first saw them. i'm planning a puff rolling session sometime next week, so i'll hopefully have a go soon. do you like the recipe, dan?

Thanks!

There are a few left. I plan to make a nice pitcher of strawberry daquiries tonight. The recipe is really good. My wife takes 2/3s of what I make to work and these disappeared quicker than most.

Wife and I went strawberry picking over the weekend and came home with 5 lbs of berries.

Item #1 is a strawberry rhubarb tart.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll57/da...yRubarbTart.jpg

Dan

That image has taken pride of place on my iPhone screensaver, gorgeous dan.

You are free to put it on your iPhone as long as you do not take credit. :)

Thanks!

Dan

All i will do is take inspiration, never steal.

dystopiandreamgirl:

a. awesome name

b. That cake looks absolutely incredible. Whats in it?

I certainly cannot compete with that incredible cake made by dystopiandreamgirl, but I did make traditional Chinese almond cookies, a chocolate layer cake with raspberry jam filling and raspberry-flavored chocolate icing for a friends' barbecue tomorrow and David Lebovitz' Orange-Szechwan Pepper Ice Cream.

Tomorrow I am going to make Alton Brown's Moo-less Chocolate pie again, this time with Frangelico, for the year end Pot Luck Lunch of the No Name group (a fiber group of guild refugees which has no name, no executive, no constitution, no fees, no rules, no schedule which to our collective amazement has been running for over 5 years now.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

dystopiandreamgirl:

a. awesome name

thanks everyone...

inside is:

two 12" layers of cocoa genoise

alternating between

three layers of coffee meringue

sandwiched with espresso buttercream

and mirabelle preserves

covered with rum ganache

dystopiandreamgirl:

a. awesome name

thanks everyone...

inside is:

two 12" layers of cocoa genoise

alternating between

three layers of coffee meringue

sandwiched with espresso buttercream

and mirabelle preserves

covered with rum ganache

:shock: I must have.

I made a cake for a birthday at work. It was SUPPOSED to be for Friday, but turns out the person isn’t going to be in on Friday, so I had to come home and make it immediately. I just used a mix and canned frosting. It looked cute, though – and once again I decorated in such a way as to avoid having to do lettering:

gallery_3331_119_202455.jpg

:laugh:

I'm with you, I avoid printing or writing whenever possible.

how did you make those gorgeous leaves?!!  did you paint a million leaves with tempered chocolate?  if you did, then how did you get those ones to bend?!  wow...amazed :)

not a million, but well over a hundred.

i put a couple of square cake pans in the freezer, took them out one at a time, alternating to keep them cold;

laid each leaf as i finished it (either inside the pan, [which i propped at an angle], folding in on itself, or outside bent back on itself) at the table where i was brushing them, and after doing three or so transferred them to the freezer to finish setting;

did another batch and upon transferring took the last batch out and unpeeled, set them on the cake,

rinse and repeat...

i had originally envisioned the idea as the cake being on a pedestal, and continuing with some leaves dripping down off the pedestal, even onto the table. but at 3 am, with a day job to get to at 8, i said 'to hell with it' and left it as is. the creative process can be entertaining - i think what makes this attractive is the border that the pointed ends make around the base - but that was not included in my (admittedly inchoate) vision of it. i love it when creations go their own way, sometimes better than i originally anticipated. even if it's due to hitting the limits of my technical expertise, or a time constraint

i think it could be an awesome wedding cake design, with the leaves sliding all the way down three or four tiers...

Here are a few recent desserts - let's call it the Fun with Silicone collection:

gallery_41282_4652_62423.jpg

Strawberry Rhubarb Custard Tart

gallery_41282_4652_4731.jpg

The latest version of my Peanut Butter Pie - the best yet IMHO

gallery_41282_4652_30513.jpg

Poorly executed but a pistachio pate with morello cherry gelee, pistachio daquoise and pistachio shortbread

gallery_41282_4652_26265.jpg

From Dessert Fourplay - beet mousse

Here are a few recent desserts - let's call it the Fun with Silicone collection:

gallery_41282_4652_4731.jpg

The latest version of my Peanut Butter Pie - the best yet IMHO

I always love looking at your desserts...I would love eating them better I think. This one is a winner!! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Those look nice - I'd like to hear more about the book.

I'm going back to basics:

gallery_41282_4652_60638.jpg

Not quite perfect so I'm going to keep practicing. If I understand that standard correctly, I didn't puff enough (I tried to adjust for altitude and I think I was too aggressive), and too dark. Does that sound right?

Those look nice - I'd like to hear more about the book.

The book is more than a cookbook. It's David Lebovitz's account of relocating and adapting to life in Paris. It's very entertaining with the usual Lebovitz sense of humor. There are recipes scattered throughout the book, some sweet and some savory. I've made a couple of things and all have been excellent.

Yes, I'd also like to recommend Lebovitz' recent Paris book. It's a brief, entertaining read with every chapter ending with a recipe or two. I haven't baked anything from it yet, but there are definitely a couple of recipes I've bookmarked. If you enjoy his posts on davidlebovitz.com, you'll enjoy the book too!

I recently picked up a batch of flavourful Royal Gala apples at the store, and decided to use the remaining bits of puff pastry that I had in my fridge. Earlier this week, I made the rough puff pastry from Michel Roux' "Pastry", and there were still some chunks left over.

I made the Calvados chunky apple filling from Friberg's book:

gallery_63294_6606_37686.jpg

And made some apple turnovers:

gallery_63294_6606_83311.jpg

and the puff pastry apple points, also from Friberg's book:

gallery_63294_6606_20535.jpg

Here's how the points are supposed to turn out: chefbo. This was my first attempt at the apple points, and I was quite pleased with the outcome! There's a delicious Calvados cream around the interior puff pastry strips and apple filling, and the whole thing is iced with whipped cream and sprinkled with puff pastry crumbs. Will make it again.

dystopiandreamgirl - I'm a little late with it, but your 'droopy' cake is just amazing! I cannot imagine ever being able to create something like that! Truly awesome!

Marmish - lovely fruit tart - probably my favorite summer dessert!

Rob - your latest efforts are fantastic! I especially want to taste the peanut butter one (my favorite flavor ever).

cmflick - no need to apologize for your lovely marshmallows - they look wonderful.

hansjoakim - I like the looks of your turnover and the apple points is just lovely!

Yesterday I made andiesenji's Fruited Cocoa Cake. It's an extremely old family recipe - you should go to the recipe to read the history - it's fascinating. It was very good; not a fruitcake, but very moist and deeply flavored. You can use almost any dried fruit in it she says, but I had cranberries, raisins and figs, so that’s what I used:

gallery_3331_119_145236.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_33334.jpg

Yesterday I made andiesenji's Fruited Cocoa Cake.

One look at that cake and I know I have to make it. Good going! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

That looks amazing. I'm probably one of the few people around who likes fruitcake and I love the idea of a chocolate fruitcake. Definitely on my list of things to make.

I take it from the recipe that this is a cake of English origin. Is that true?

That looks amazing. I'm probably one of the few people around who likes fruitcake and I love the idea of a chocolate fruitcake. Definitely on my list of things to make.

I take it from the recipe that this is a cake of English origin. Is that true?

andiesenji will have to answer that, but she says that the origins of the recipe are found in a family journal from 1690, so that is likely!