• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Yum! I love ho hos!

Sometimes when my IMBC mixes up like that, it seems to be because of a difference in temperature between a few ingredients. I hold a towel soaked in hot water or a bag or two of frozen peas around the bowl while mixing at top speed and the "curdling" always goes away.

Thanks so much for the advice. It didn't really feel humid that day, but it sure was the next and I'm thinking that that affected it.

Yum! I love ho hos!

Sometimes when my IMBC mixes up like that, it seems to be because of a difference in temperature between a few ingredients. I hold a towel soaked in hot water or a bag or two of frozen peas around the bowl while mixing at top speed and the "curdling" always goes away.

Thanks so much for the advice. It didn't really feel humid that day, but it sure was the next and I'm thinking that that affected it.

Kim, if you made this one day and used it another day then you need to "reconstitute" the buttercream. In other words, you can't just store it on the counter overnight and decorate a cake with it the next day without doing anything to it. Usually, throw it back on the mixer with the paddle attachment and paddle on low to medium speed until it smooths out and gets a satiny appearance. If it is cold at all, a little heat helps. I use a torch on the side just to warm it gently, but a hot towel as advised above is perfect. If you've refrigerated it, when you first start mixing, it might look completely curdled and separated. Just add heat and keep mixing and it will come back together. If it looked a little curdled like this when freshly made, then it needs longer mixing time. Again, as advised above heat or cold depending on the room temp will help it come back together. Patience! It can take five minutes or more of mixing. Also, if it sits a long time while you're using it on the cake, it might need quick touch-up mixes to smooth it out. Also, remember that you lose some volume in the reconstituting process, so while still delicious, it will be a little denser sometimes.

I love the flower you made with the "ho-hos"!!

The taste was fine and it was fluffy, but it wasn’t smooth at all like when I’ve made it before.  I have NO idea what I did wrong, but, to be honest, icings have never been my thing – for that matter, as much as I love it, baking is a huge challenge for me.  Oh, well, better luck next time.

If it tasted fine but just looked bad, you could also try the hot knife trick to see if it could smooth it out.

Frost the cake and then dip your spatula/knife in very hot water. Dry it off and run it slowly across the surface of the frosting. The heat from the knife should melt/smooth the frosting.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I haven't been posting in here in a loonnnng time -- been busy with work and life, but I have recently gone mad for macarons, maybe because I no longer work in a bakery that makes them. Here are the mojito ones I made yesterday:

gallery_17645_1269_20298.jpg

plain macaron brushed with a rum syrup, then filled with lime/mint curd

Absolutely gorgeous!! I am trying to master macarons but it is difficult!!

I haven't been posting in here in a loonnnng time -- been busy with work and life, but I have recently gone mad for macarons, maybe because I no longer work in a bakery that makes them. Here are the mojito ones I made yesterday:

Wikipedia defines mojito: A mojito is traditionally made of five ingredients: spearmint, rum, sugar (traditionally sugar cane juice ), lime, and club soda.

Can someone please give me a better sense of what a mojito macaron, or a mojito anything else might mean?

Thanks

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Wikipedia defines mojito: A mojito is traditionally made of five ingredients: spearmint, rum, sugar (traditionally sugar cane juice ), lime, and club soda.

Can someone please give me a better sense of what a mojito macaron, or a mojito anything else might mean?

Thanks

Pretty much anything with mint, rum, and lime. Is it difficult to imagine?

Apple "Pasta" with cardamom cream sauce, key lime granite and spicy jelly

Nice one Rob. I'm starting to feel like a slacker.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

No picture, but I've been on a popsicle kick, and so I made Limber de Coco -- also known as coconut popsicles. The recipe uses coconut milk, evaporated milk, sugar, and an egg yolk, along with a pinch of cinnamon. They were fantastic -- creamy, not too sweet... Just perfect. Here's the link to the recipe...

http://thenoshery.com/2009/05/30/limber-de...ream-popsicles/

Strawberry week continues with a mess of strawberry diplomats

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/12409508..._6368_13182.jpg

Very nice, Dan! What are you using to pipe the outer circle on the cute Diplomats? A paste of some kind?

Its macaroon paste, a blend of almond paste, sugar, and egg whites. It did not brown as much as I would like, but I did not wan to leave it the oven for much longer as I was affraid of burning the crushed almonds.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I made a cake for a birthday at work. It was SUPPOSED to be for Friday, but turns out the person isn’t going to be in on Friday, so I had to come home and make it immediately. I just used a mix and canned frosting. It looked cute, though – and once again I decorated in such a way as to avoid having to do lettering:

gallery_3331_119_202455.jpg

:laugh:

Ilana - well, I went home after work last night and cooked it for today (not during lunch time the same day or anything) - am I still kind :laugh: ? Those dates are gorgeous looking. Are they coated with something? You didn't say, but they look like they have a crumbly coating on them. We adore dried fruit. When an elderly aunt was alive, she gave everyone a tray of dried fruit including nut stuffed dates and figs for Christmas. No one else in the family liked them, so we went home loaded with bags of the stuff!! Also, I've been watching with awe the progess of your chocolate bowls - they are truly amazing!

Strawberry week concludes with these Choux strips. They are based on a formula in Bo Fribergs book. Its puff pastry topped with pastry cream, pate a choux, strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, and flat icing.

gallery_61658_6368_17924.jpg

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Kim! Well it is also incredibly KIND to come home after a long day's work and bake for a friend! I also just love dates and all dried fruit! The dates are coated in alovely light milk chocolate with caramel notes and then rolled twice in cacao powder with a bit of powdered sugar mixed in. They are a bit crumbly! But they are heaven!

I am a dried fruit person. Who else is? :rolleyes::biggrin:

Strawberry week concludes with these Choux strips. They are based on a formula in Bo Fribergs book. Its puff pastry topped with pastry cream, pate a choux, strawberry jam, fresh strawberries, and flat icing.

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/12409508..._6368_17924.jpg

Dan

impressive output, dan!! do you manage to work your way through it all? :wink:

i've wanted to make the choux strips from friberg's book ever since i first saw them. i'm planning a puff rolling session sometime next week, so i'll hopefully have a go soon. do you like the recipe, dan?