• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Rob – that cake is just amazing looking.  I’d really love to taste it! 

I tried a friend’s browned butter chocolate chip cookies again.  He had given me a couple of tips to improve them and stop them from flattening out and spreading so much.  He suggested that I use 5 oz. cups of flour and to chill the dough balls for a couple of hours before baking.  It really helped that a lot.  And the flavor with the browned butter is fantastic:

gallery_34972_3570_3674.jpg

See how much higher they are?  Here are my last ones:

gallery_34972_3570_13357.jpg

But the texture suffered a little.  Look inside:

gallery_34972_3570_5254.jpg

They were a little dense.  So maybe I play a little with the time in the fridge – I had them in there for 4 hours.  Maybe only 1 hour?  I just love the flavor and that the didn’t end up being Frisbees, but I want a little more tenderness.

Kim, maybe if you beat the egg whites separately, and folded them in, then flattened to cookies before baking? A little more lightness, but pushed down to avoid the pouf factor/deflate?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

A few of attempts at the perfect peanut butter pie...I'm not there yet.

Alton Brown's recipe:

gallery_41282_4652_35690.jpg

Question: which Alton Brown cookbook is that pie from, please? I am thinking about sending for one Alton Brown cookbook...being very impressed by his Seriously Vanilla Ice Cream...and wonder which one to go for.

Thanks, :smile:

BTW, lovely pie.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sundae Gathering

gallery_53467_5170_14748.jpg

basil chocolate ice cream - pine nut brownie - olive oil pudding - olive oil - sea salt

For the ice cream I used Michael Laiskonis' chocolate ice cream and cold-infused the milk overnight with blanched fresh basil.

For the brownie I used Pierre Herme's brownie and subbed in pine nuts for the pecans.

For the olive oil pudding I used Grant Achatz' recipe straight out of the Alinea book.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Getting ready for Easter.

I'm feeling very lazy this year and not coloring the bunnies at all.

You cannot go wrong with a chocolate bunnie. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

cereal

gallery_53467_5170_8701.jpg

milk sherbet - caramelized corn flakes - strawberry fluid gel - fresh strawberry

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oh, my goodness what amazing cooks are at eG! Really beautiful and inspiring stuff, y'all!

Rob - I would have loved to have been a PB pie guinea pig - it is my all time favorite thing. If I could only eat ONE THING for the rest of my life, I would have to pick PB! The final recipe looks fantastic!

Ilana - your chocolate bars are gorgeous. I love the idea of adding the candied peels!

cmflick - I love the bunny and I agree with Darienne - you can't go wrong with a chocolate bunny!

Tri2Cook - I love, love, LOVE your cereal!!!! How do you caramelize cornflakes??

I made these last night for a birthday at work today:

gallery_34972_2532_98212.jpg

gallery_34972_2532_83862.jpg

Carrot Cake Cupcakes. They are an Ina Garten recipe. Very moist and flavorful without being heavy. I left out the raisins, by request :sad: . I cheated on the frosting and used the canned stuff because I was so late getting home tonight. The canned cream cheese frosting is really pretty good, IMO, but the tubes of decorating goo were crap. It blobbed and bubbled and ran all over the place – I will never use that stuff again :angry: .

Nice cupcakes Kim. Thanks for the kind words too.

To caramelize corn flakes (or rice krispies or puffed wheat or whatever sounds good to you) just wet some sugar (120 grams for each 100 grams cereal) with enough water to get a wet sand texture and cook on medium heat until the water evaporates (big, slow bubbles) but hasn't begun to color. Toss in whatever you're coating and stir and toss around continuously but gently (I use a silicon spatula but that's not important) until the sugar crystallizes and everything seems dry. Continue cooking and stirring until the sugar melts again and coats everything evenly. Takes a few minutes (or a lot of minutes with large batches). Stir in a small amount (around 5 grams to each 100 grams cereal) of diced room temp butter. Pour it on a silpat or clean pan (I usually dump large batches on a very well cleaned stainless table) and toss, stir and separate the pieces (I use my fingers, if you don't like the idea of hot sugar and your fingers wear latex gloves or use whatever tool makes you happy). It only takes a couple minutes of moving them around until they cool enough to stop sticking together in clumps. Then just let them cool completely and store them in something airtight.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Nice cupcakes Kim. Thanks for the kind words too.

To caramelize corn flakes (or rice krispies or puffed wheat or whatever sounds good to you) just wet some sugar (120 grams for each 100 grams cereal) with enough water to get a wet sand texture and cook on medium heat until the water evaporates (big, slow bubbles) but hasn't begun to color. Toss in whatever you're coating and stir and toss around continuously but gently (I use a silicon spatula but that's not important) until the sugar crystallizes and everything seems dry. Continue cooking and stirring until the sugar melts again and coats everything evenly. Takes a few minutes (or a lot of minutes with large batches). Stir in a small amount (around 5 grams to each 100 grams cereal) of diced room temp butter. Pour it on a silpat or clean pan (I usually dump large batches on a very well cleaned stainless table) and toss, stir and separate the pieces (I use my fingers, if you don't like the idea of hot sugar and your fingers wear latex gloves or use whatever tool makes you happy). It only takes a couple minutes of moving them around until they cool enough to stop sticking together in clumps. Then just let them cool completely and store them in something airtight.

Tri2Cook - thank you so much! That is a very similar method to some nuts that I do. I can think of lots of things to do with caramelized cereal!

Peppermint bonbons.

I have to admit, I've been skeptical about colored cocoa butter, and have felt that it is sort of trendy and over used. Seriously, does everything need color? But then I got some, and have realized how much fun it is to play with! :raz: These were wiped with green, then a smear of white chocolate, then filled with dark. Filling is a light caramel ganache with peppermint liqueur.

gallery_26532_6567_96981.jpg

Very nice. Peppermint-caramel ganache sounds interesting. I'll have to check that one out.

Peppermint bonbons. 

I have to admit, I've been skeptical about colored cocoa butter, and have felt that it is sort of trendy and over used.  Seriously, does everything need color?  But then I got some, and have realized how much fun it is to play with!  :raz:  These were wiped with green, then a smear of white chocolate, then filled with dark.  Filling is a light caramel ganache with peppermint liqueur.

gallery_26532_6567_96981.jpg

I scrolled past without reading and thought to myself, "why would someone post pictures of marbles?" !!! Really great!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini