• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Upload them to your imagegullet page, hit the "view actual URL" link next to the uploaded image when you view it on your imagegullet page, copy that URL and paste it into the text box that comes up when you hit the "IMG" button on the post page. Or you can host it on any photo host site and just add a link to it using the "http://" button. It won't show up here but it will open in a new window when anyone clicks the link.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Upload them to your imagegullet page, hit the "view actual URL" link next to the uploaded image when you view it on your imagegullet page, copy that URL and paste it into the text box that comes up when you hit the "IMG" button on the post page. Or you can host it on any photo host site and just add a link to it using the "http://" button. It won't show up here but it will open in a new window when anyone clicks the link.

There may well be complications if you have pop-up protection on your computer. I have to do a couple of extra steps to get my photos onto eGullet. Wish I could spell them out, but I can't. I have to relearn it each time. I WILL :angry: write the steps down next time.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

DesertCulinary!  Those sweets look great.  Just what I want when the weather is cold and rainy like it has been here lately.

What recipe did you use for the grahams?

Thanks! It was a modified version of Alton Browns recipe.

Those graham crackers look marvelous. Any tips about such perfect cutting?

No real tricks - we scored/cut the dough into squares before baking and they easily snapped apart once cool.

The IMG tag works better in this case...

gallery_26699_6469_230111.jpg

This is a lime curd with citrus salad, topped with white chocolate mousse

This is the Milk Chocolate-Mocha Tart which I served with a wonderful Pinot Noir

gallery_26699_6469_96849.jpg

gallery_26699_6469_225131.jpg

And lastly for the evening this is a Chocolate-Pomegranate Torte which we served with a magnificent Port

gallery_26699_6469_653822.jpg

Visually speaking, I was not real happy with this torte, I wanted a much smoother presentation of the ganache, but, the taste was incredible.

Wow that Milk choc mocha tart is really beautiful - my fave.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

gallery_11197_6473_334306.jpg

Our new Line of Eclair, with greetings to Christophe Adam :-)

from left we have:

Coconut Milkchocolate

Vanilla

Mango

Cherry

Cassis/Violet

Caramel

Chocolate

all the fruit fillings are made cold process with gelcrem from sosa to preserve the freshness of the fruit.

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

Made a quick apple cake from Gale Gand's Short & Sweet. It is very light and fluffy while full of apples with a streusel top. All the recipes in this book have 8 ingredients or less - sometimes used twice, and the book is divided into prep times of 15, 30 or 45 minutes (not including baking time.)

I've made about half the recipes and with an exception or two, really like the results.

Made a quick apple cake from Gale Gand's Short & Sweet. It is very light and fluffy while full of apples with a streusel top. All the recipes in this book have 8 ingredients or less - sometimes used twice, and the book is divided into prep times of 15, 30 or 45 minutes (not including baking time.)

I've made about half the recipes and with an exception or two, really like the results.

Recipe? Link? I love apple cake, and so do the people I bake for... Thanks!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Recipe? Link? I love apple cake, and so do the people I bake for... Thanks!

I did not even know she was on The Food Network!

I used melted butter in the cake (and soymilk because I had nothing else on hand.) I also used 6 small Empire apples that still had flavor but had lost their crunch - peeled and cored. No sifting for me - just whisked the dry stuff together, added the wet and apple pieces (diced) and folded it all together. Worked the topping together with my fingers till crumbly and sprinkled over the top.

i'm starting to get back into basic baking, trying to do anything to stimulate johnnybird's appetite and help get some weight back onto him. no where near as creative as all of you are but last weekend it was a chocolate pudding cake from Southern Living that even i ate some of then yesterday, my day off, and i tried this jam cake that i've been threatening to do. quite easy to put together and he liked it...he really liked it...

gallery_403_6486_27148.jpg

individual piece

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i'm starting to get back into basic baking, trying to do anything to stimulate johnnybird's appetite and help get some weight back onto him.  no where near as creative as all of you are but last weekend it was a chocolate pudding cake from Southern Living that even i ate some of then yesterday, my day off, and i tried this jam cake that i've been threatening to do.  quite easy to put together and he liked it...he really liked it...

gallery_403_6486_27148.jpg

individual piece

Oh this looks delicious!

I hope he's feeling better soon.

Joe – that coffee cake looks gorgeous and I am joining the amazement at your perfect and beautiful graham crackers. I love graham crackers (even the boxed ones are ok if they are the ones with cinnamon sugar), but very few bakeries make them. You may have just inspired me to try my own! I’ve found the AB recipe – what did you add/do differently, if you don’t mind telling?

RobertM – your Milk Chocolate-Mocha Tart is beautiful! Well done! Are those just white jimmies on top and on the plate? What a nice presentation.

schneich – Mr. Shook and I loved your éclairs! Now if we could just get to Cologne, we’d have one of each!

suzi – yummy looking jam cake. I haven’t made one of those in years and we love them! Good wishes to johnnybird and tell him that Mr. Kim was asking for Toast Dope yesterday! I haven’t made a batch in awhile and he’s missing it!

I’m not participating in Fat Guy’s Klatsch challenge, but I am loving following the thread and it inspired me to dig around my freezer and I came up with eight frozen bananas!

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread w/ Chocolate Chips and Candied Pecans:

gallery_34972_3570_122785.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_127836.jpg

I’m not participating in Fat Guy’s Klatsch challenge, but I am loving following the thread and it inspired me to dig around my freezer and I came up with eight frozen bananas! 

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread w/ Chocolate Chips and Candied Pecans:

gallery_34972_3570_122785.jpg

gallery_34972_3570_127836.jpg

wow! this looks delicious! i never make quick breads because i would keep eating until I exploded, so baking is saved for occasional treats.

Last weekend was my Hungarian DH's birthday, and I had ambitions to make him his favorite cake, a hungarian dobos torte.

Well, with my toddler screaming at my feet, and having attended to a sick dog for a week, I just didn't have the patience to deal with 10 cake layers and homemade caramel..so I used the Martha Stewart Baking dobos recipe, but made it a 3 layer cake instead with swiss mocha frosting.

I have to say, it was quite a delicious cake. yellow cake was just about the best I've ever made, and my neighbor told me I make the best frosting. I reminded her she is comparing me against grocery bakery shortening frosting, as that's all she eats :) but I took it as a compliment anyway.

the bonus of eliminating many layers is that I have frosting left over in a little jar in the fridge...which I am slowly eating straight from the container with a spoon.

gallery_53467_5170_15629.jpg

milk chocolate pain de genes - almond frangipane - tonka blancmange - gelee of maraschino juice and kirsch - noyaux soup

Test run and I'm not happy with the red top. I'll do the rest topped with pulverized almonds and just use the gelee for the garnish in the soup. Anyway, the flavors are where I wanted them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.