• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

made some palmiers with some frozen puff pastry dough I had in the freezer.

First time I made them. I think they turned out fairly well, though I wish my sheet of puff pastry was larger so the cookies could have been larger. I've eaten about half the batch already. :rolleyes:

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

There have been a lot of cold winter days, so I've had to keep busy:  macarons filled with a strawberry/balsamic vinegar ganache and passion fruit pate de fruit.

Those macarons look great! I've been dying to try them for a while now, but haven't worked myself up to it yet. Any advice for a total beginner?

There have been a lot of cold winter days, so I've had to keep busy:  macarons filled with a strawberry/balsamic vinegar ganache and passion fruit pate de fruit.

Those macarons look great! I've been dying to try them for a while now, but haven't worked myself up to it yet. Any advice for a total beginner?

Patience. And remember that even the failures taste great! Seriously, I would highly recommend using an Italian meringue and baking at a low temperature (I bake for 20 minutes at 300F). A lot of recipes using a French meringue and bake at 375F. I've never had success with this type of recipe Also make sure to let them dry out before baking. I left these for about 50 minutes at room temperature after they were piped onto parchment. The surface needs to dry out before baking (it loses its sheen). That also means that you need to avoid trying to make macarons when the weather is humid. I only do it in the winter!

Isomer - that lemon tart is sooooo tempting (as are lots of other desserts!). I've been baking and making desserts as before, even if I haven't had a chance to share them here on the eG as frequently. Here are some of the recent items, together with links to the recipes:

Combining the dessert course and the after dinner mints resulted in a lovely After Eight Mints Chocolate Mousse

gallery_43137_2974_47533.jpg

Had a bunch of egg whites over, but didn't feel like making meringues or pavlova or macaroons, so I made a moist and dense Egg White Sponge Cake instead:

gallery_43137_2974_60333.jpg

And as we've got lots of cloudberries in the fridge, I used some the other day for this really simple dessert of cloudberries and whipped cream :raz:

gallery_43137_2974_41451.jpg

Taiwan's One Night Stand

gallery_41282_4652_2321.jpg

What you see in the picture is a malt cake topped with soy creme, a soy sugar tube filled with savory granola. Every element stood on its own, and combined I thought they were outstanding. In particular the granola was perfect - just a bit sweet and a bit salty, accentuated by the use of French Sel Gris (grey salt). Inspired by this month's TGRWT challenge, the combination of soy and malt works very well together.

Recipe here.

Some really nice stuff folks. It's been a busy week at work and I've been fighting off a bout of flu for the past couple days so I haven't done much besides work and sleep but I've been watching what everyone else is doing.

Rob, nice one! I've done all of the development/testing for my entry into this round of the challenge. I'll take the time this week to do the actual dish so I can get it submitted on time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have been busy the past few days.

Spent Grain bread (whole wheat)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/100_0433.jpg

German Many Seeded multigrain bread

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/100_0437.jpg

Double chocolate espresso cookies

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/100_0439.jpg

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Dan

Wow! Any chance for a recipe for the cookies? :wub:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Dan

Wow! Any chance for a recipe for the cookies? :wub:

Due to copyright rules, I cannot share them, but you can find the recipe in King Arthur Flour's Cookie Companion under the name Better Than Store Bought. There are three changes though. First, reduce the amount of chocolate blended with the oats by 2oz, replace the espresso powder with freshly ground espresso or coffee beans, and use up to 40% white whole wheat.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

Due to copyright rules, I cannot share them, but you can find the recipe in King Arthur Flour's Cookie Companion under the name Better Than Store Bought.  There are three changes though. First, reduce the amount of chocolate blended with the oats by 2oz, replace the espresso powder with freshly ground espresso or coffee beans, and use up to 40% white whole wheat.

Dan

There is a recipe for Chocolate Espresso cookies on their website, but I don't know how similar it is to the "Better Than Store Bought" recipe.

Due to copyright rules, I cannot share them, but you can find the recipe in King Arthur Flour's Cookie Companion under the name Better Than Store Bought.  There are three changes though. First, reduce the amount of chocolate blended with the oats by 2oz, replace the espresso powder with freshly ground espresso or coffee beans, and use up to 40% white whole wheat.

Dan

There is a recipe for Chocolate Espresso cookies on their website, but I don't know how similar it is to the "Better Than Store Bought" recipe.

Sorry, that is not the same formula.

Dan

Dan

Sorry, that is not the same formula.

Dan

You do realize of course that you are allowed to share any recipe you want to, you just can't post it in the forums. There's always email, PM, etc.

You may prefer not to do that but I'm just sayin'...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You do realize of course that you are allowed to share any recipe you want to, you just can't post it in the forums. There's always email, PM, etc.

You may prefer not to do that but I'm just sayin'...

And the policy of this forum, as I understand it, is that you can provide the list of ingredients, but the description needs to be in your own words, and citing is highly recommended. HERE is the official policy.

Yesterday I baked for an upcoming baby shower (sorry, no pictures):

Ina Garten's Lemon bars (I'm no expert on lemon bars but I'm very impressed with this recipe...it always turns out)

Dorie Greenspan's Brownie Buttons

Martha Stewart's Dried Cranberry shortbread hearts (from her Cookies book)

Carole Walter's Blueberry Pound Cake (from her Great Coffee Cakes book)

Canadian Living's Milk Chocolate Cheesecake (holiday baking magazine 2005)

According to the recipes--except for the lemon bars (here's hoping)--they were all freezable. I've never frozen a cheesecake before. Has anyone had any luck with this?

My first photo post:

gallery_2203_2_70565.jpg

Lemon buttermilk cake from Martha on line with home grown plum compote and french vanilla ice cream (Double Rainbow).

Oh yum! The plum with the lemon buttermilk cake sounds SO good!

I've never frozen a cheesecake before.  Has anyone had any luck with this?

Absolutely... I am actually not a believer in spring form pans for cheesecakes. I always bake in cake rounds, freeze, and use a torch to loosen it out of the pan. I freeze almost every time- works like a charm :wink: .