• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

This is a sweet/salty cake from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. Omg, amazing cake. Yesterday was my spouse's bday so this was Thanksgiving dessert too.

The filling is caramel and the frosting is a whipped caramel ganache. The frosting was BRILLIANT. The top is sprinkled with fleur de sel( there is also a tsp of salt in the caramel).

gallery_25969_665_866160.jpg

gallery_25969_665_329001.jpg

dystopiandreamgirl – Mr. Kim and I were just in awe at your cookies and tarts. Those are some of the most lovely things I’ve ever seen on this board (and that’s saying something). I am just in awe.

Randi – I am really intrigued by that cake! I checked and my library doesn’t have that book, so I added it to my Amazon list :biggrin: ! That frosting has a really interesting looking texture!

Something I tried out a few days ago:

gallery_3331_189_158836.jpg

Marshmallow Caramel Puffs They are Trader Joe marshmallows (making marshmallows it one of my yet-to-attempt projects) dipped in caramel, then in toasted coconut. My caramel needs work, but these were still really good. A very fast and easy confection.

Here's a Hoosier Sugar Cream pie that I made for our TGiving:

gallery_41282_4652_34838.jpg

Its actually an evolution of three generations of the recipe starting with Tyler's grandma. My evolution is more of a dulce de leche pie. Not nearly as sweet, with much more complexity. It was very good. I chronicled the evolution at my blog HERE.

chocolate caramel tart:

gallery_8512_4054_16932.jpg

happy thanksgiving everyone!

I feel I MUST ask, just WHT KIND OF LEAF IS THAT IN THE CENTER OF THE CLUSTER?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::rolleyes:

Oh, it's a maple, no doubt.

OH MY GAWD. Is it 4:20 already? Lookie, chocolate thing! Yum, yum.

Jokes aside, all of these were just terribly wonderful and very well well done.

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

I wanted to practice a bunch of different techniques and ended up with this entrement

gallery_41282_4652_23929.jpg

From bottom to top:

blueberry sponge

pomegranate bavarois

whole wheat fillo brushed with ginger kumquat syrup

crushed pistachio

pome bavarois

sprayed with colored white chocolate

white chocolate pomegranate

some pulled sugar decorations

candied kumquats (the lil bastards collapsed on me!)

tempered chocolate on the base

gallery_41282_4652_19160.jpg

Ive just seen this, its beautiful!

royal icing would work; it's awfully sweet, but that's not likely to bother any pint-sized trick or treaters.

"the republicans have never forgiven us for carrot cake" - al franken

i usually find it unforgivable as well, but was happy with the way this turned out,

with candied carrot ribbons and crystallized pansies:

gallery_8512_4054_176575.jpg

This was my entry in the last round of the khymos.org They Go Really Well Together series. I'm calling it Apricot Chanterelle Delice.

gallery_53467_5170_208400.jpg

Chanterelle infused white chocolate ganache with feuilletine and apricot mousse studded with soft candied chanterelles all wrapped in white chocolate and topped with apricot gelee and crunchy candied chanterelles. It's plated with salt and pepper caramel, candied chanterelle powder and apricot sorbet warmed with a hint of fresh habanero.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks Rob. Yeah, my submission was a week late. The weekend I put it all together my camera decided it'd had a good life and went to the place where picture capturing devices are eternally blessed which was annoying because I wanted to get some pics from the Lion's district governor's dinner I catered that week as well. I borrowed one from a friend to get that posted.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Rob – that “entrement” looks incredibly delicious and amazing – how did it taste, you didn’t say? One thing though, the little squinchy thing at the bottom right looks a little like a scorpion to me. Well, considering where you live… :wink:

Robin – I want to try that cake. Coconut is probably my favorite flavor in the world. I try every coconut cake I see! Where’s the recipe – I couldn’t find it in the recipes.

Something I put together tonight:

gallery_34972_5436_161872.jpg

Ok, I didn’t make all this candy – I just bought it, but thought it was cute and I’ll cover it with plastic until Christmas Eve and then let the kids have at it. So it will get eaten – not just a decoration!

Kim - my spouse said it was the best thing I've ever made. I'm working more seriously on my decorating skills. Some day I'll have the time and money to go sit in with some of the great bakers here in their shops.

Here are a few things I've made lately for sale at my store.

gallery_41282_4652_6819.jpg

Using leftover lemon syrup from candying lemon peel, I made Lemon Caramel with Toasted Piñon and Grey Salt. That gave me a reason to read the wrapping caramel topic which I had never had the desire to do :)

gallery_41282_4652_18871.jpg

gallery_41282_4652_14575.jpg

Marmalade with Blood Orange and Jasmine Pearl Tea. That really is the color of it. I used Amernick's base recipe which doesn't use pectin, but at the last second I panicked and threw a pinch of pectin in for good measure. The tea was a really good addition.

I can't remember if I posted this before:

gallery_41282_4652_12466.jpg

Brown Sugar Pecan Shortbread dipped in Tempered chocolate.

gallery_41282_4652_51631.jpg

Pomegranate Curd - yep it was my breakfast with three greasy strips of Niman Ranch bacon.

Rob – that “entrement” looks incredibly delicious and amazing – how did it taste, you didn’t say?  One thing though,  the little squinchy thing at the bottom right looks a little like a scorpion to me.  Well, considering where you live… :wink:

What exactly is an entrement? I looked it up on Google and I got 'side dish'.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

What exactly is an entrement?  I looked it up on Google and I got 'side dish'.

Thanks.   :smile:

Try googling entremet instead. :wink:

This may help (or it may confuse you more but it's interesting).

Nice assortment there Rob, the caramel looks really good and I'm always a sucker for shortbread. I was going to ask if you made the curd but I already know the answer to that one. Nice color.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

I finished the Christmas baking this weekend. Decorated sugar cookies aren't the tastiest cookies in the world and I'm not very adept at decorating them, but they are a tradition in our house:

gallery_34972_3570_134247.jpg

I was pleased with how these turned out, though:

gallery_34972_3570_64381.jpg

These are for the train-crazy little guy next door. I hope that he can figure out that they are train cars! I really need to practice my piping! You can't tell, but these are tiny - about 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" - really hard to do:

gallery_34972_3570_44557.jpg

The last of the Christmas candy, too:

Chocolate covered sponge candy:

gallery_34972_5436_58475.jpg

and chocolate covered peanut brittle:

gallery_34972_5436_43860.jpg

A Cranberry Gallette from the weekend.

The Gallette

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll57/da...ent=Galette.jpg

And pumpkin whoopie pies with ginger cream cheese fluff

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll57/da...nt=100_0414.jpg

Edited to meet EGullet Posting Standards...

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.