• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Very odd though, all the same dough, ingredients, etc. and some are nice and tall and some are as flat as pancakes.  I will never understand baking :wacko: .

Do you bake with a digital scale?

Did you put the scoops of cookie dough on an already hot cookie sheet?

Very odd though, all the same dough, ingredients, etc. and some are nice and tall and some are as flat as pancakes.  I will never understand baking :wacko: .

Did you put the scoops of cookie dough on an already hot cookie sheet?

I do use a digital scale for chocolate, but not for everything. I know that I should, but haven't gotten up the energy to convert my recipes. Even though with the elements of a cooky, there aren't that many things to remember.

ETA - I just did a little quick online research and I got anywhere from 4 oz to 4.625 oz being equal to a cup. So what do I follow anyway?

I never, ever reuse a sheet until it's cool and sometimes if I'm not sure, I stash them in the fridge for a couple of minutes.

I never have this problem with my peanut butter cookies - which I make with bread flour - I wonder if that is part of the issue for me?

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

I do use a digital scale for chocolate, but not for everything. I know that I should, but haven't gotten up the energy to convert my recipes. Even though with the elements of a cooky, there aren't that many things to remember.

I think flour is one of the most important ingredients to measure since it's hard to have a perfectly consistent method of measuring with a cup and the weather also affects how it measures.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

...all the same dough, ingredients, etc. and some are nice and tall and some are as flat as pancakes.  I will never understand baking :wacko: .

They're the same dough and the only difference is the chips? The ones on the right are much darker than the others though. Why is that?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I think flour is one of the most important ingredients to measure since it's hard to have a perfectly consistent method of measuring with a cup and the weather also affects how it measures.

But what is a cup? 4 oz., 4.5, 4.625?? I found all those answers in my research.

...all the same dough, ingredients, etc. and some are nice and tall and some are as flat as pancakes.  I will never understand baking :wacko: .

They're the same dough and the only difference is the chips? The ones on the right are much darker than the others though. Why is that?

Sorry - I thought I had explained that - must have left it out. I had some Hershey Special Dark cocoa, but ran out. Those dark cookies were made the Special Dark - the medium ones are with a mix of half Special Dark and half regular, the lightest ones with all regular. I like the look of the dark, but honestly the flavor isn't that much different.

Sorry - I thought I had explained that - must have left it out. I had some Hershey Special Dark cocoa, but ran out. Those dark cookies were made the Special Dark - the medium ones are with a mix of half Special Dark and half regular, the lightest ones with all regular. I like the look of the dark, but honestly the flavor isn't that much different.

Aha. I just googled and it sounds like the special dark is a dutch cocoa. Is the other cocoa you used dutch as well?

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Aha. I just googled and it sounds like the special dark is a dutch cocoa. Is the other cocoa you used dutch as well?

I don't know. It's just the regular Hershey's cocoa - it doesn't say on the container.

I don't know.  It's just the regular Hershey's cocoa - it doesn't say on the container.

Regular Hershey's isn't dutched, but is natural cocoa. Using different cocoas (or combinations of cocoa) could account for the differences in your cookies, unless those differences occured in the same batch (I wasn't clear if you had differences in height within the same batch, or between batches).

But what is a cup? 4 oz., 4.5, 4.625?? I found all those answers in my research.

Usually I find 4.5 oz works. If it's a recipe you use a lot then it won't hurt to try it and if you find it's not enough then up it to 5 oz. My understanding is that if you scoop and level it's about 5 oz but if you spoon the flour in and level it's about 4.5 oz. Some books mention in the back which weight or method they use and if not, it only takes a recipe or two to figure it out.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

For my second entry into the pomegranate contest over at foodieblogroll, I made Pomegranate Green Tea Brownies. Ultra fudgy brownies with fresh pomegranate seeds and juice, matcha green tea, and piñon, topped with a pomegranate white chocolate ganache - following the water-based ganache topic.

gallery_41282_4652_12480.jpg

I don't know.  It's just the regular Hershey's cocoa - it doesn't say on the container.

Regular Hershey's isn't dutched, but is natural cocoa. Using different cocoas (or combinations of cocoa) could account for the differences in your cookies, unless those differences occured in the same batch (I wasn't clear if you had differences in height within the same batch, or between batches).

Rona - there was a difference in the same batches.

I realized that I forgot to say that I got the chocolate-chocolate chip cooky recipe from CanadianBakin'! I got the recipe from her last year and already they are the cookies I MUST make for Christmas :wub: !

For this months TGRWT event over at Khymos.org - Chanterelle & Apricot

gallery_41282_4652_1003.jpg

Chanterelle & Roasted Chestnut Dacquoise with Apricot Chestnut Pudding and Apricot Cream

Now, I need to stop screwing around with goofy stuff and bake some damn pumpkin pies...or wait, maybe I can infuse some bizarre ingredient into those pies! :biggrin:

Its funny because I have all sorts of orders for pumpkin and sugar cream, and I can't help myself but to slip in some homemade candied ginger or a shot of brandy or something. It's a good thing I live in a town where I know all of my customers and know what I can push on them and keep them happy. None of my orders would allow me to do a candied bacon pumpkin pie which I know would be outstanding! Their loss is my pie this weekend!

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Rob – I would buy that bacon pumpkin pie.  Honestly, regular pumpkin pie is a little dull to me. 

Pretzel Turtles for Christmas:

gallery_34972_5436_40124.jpg

Pretzels, Rolos and Pecans

Kim, do you freeze these?

Yup - they do great. They taste good STILL frozen, too. Make about twice as many as you think you'll need. The first time I made these, my SIL and her 3 girls dropped by and ate the ENTIRE batch. We had to go back to the store to get more stuff. :laugh:

Rob – I would buy that bacon pumpkin pie.  Honestly, regular pumpkin pie is a little dull to me. 

Kim, do you freeze these?

Yup - they do great. They taste good STILL frozen, too. Make about twice as many as you think you'll need. The first time I made these, my SIL and her 3 girls dropped by and ate the ENTIRE batch. We had to go back to the store to get more stuff. :laugh:

:laugh:

I'm gonna make some of these! I have everything except for the pretzels.

We've been making those rolo pretzels for a few years - they are always a hit! Instead of the pecans, we use holiday M&Ms or those Kissables candies. Here's a shot of ours from last year.

gallery_51259_4126_148314.jpg

Here's a fun miniature treat I made to send into the office today.

gallery_51259_4126_100161.jpg

Chocolate Cherry Brownie Bites - small brownies, split in half, filled with a whipped white chocolate/cream mixture with a few extra maraschino cherries folded in.

Edited by DesertCulinary (log)

Have you ever tried using something like Riesen's Chocolate Covered Caramels instead of Rolo's? I hate Rolo's, but I love Riesen's and other similar chocolate covered caramels. Think it would work OK, or would the caramel be too hard?

Have you ever tried using something like Riesen's Chocolate Covered Caramels instead of Rolo's? I hate Rolo's, but I love Riesen's and other similar chocolate covered caramels. Think it would work OK, or would the caramel be too hard?

I think they'd work just fine! I love Riesen's and might just try them. But we love Rolo's passionately and just never thought to use anything else :biggrin: !