• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

[

I also made these:

gallery_34972_5436_70549.jpg

Iced almonds.  So rich – toasty, caramel-y, crisp almond goodness.

Loved all the recent (and earlier) makings!

But I would LOVE the recipe for those almonds. :wub::wub:

:laugh: I was going to ask the same thing, then I remembered it would probably be on her website.

Kim--you need to start adding to your descriptions. Like "Iced almonds, found in the Candy section," to make it easier for us to find the recipes, because you know we're going to ask! :biggrin:

(Do you know what temperature "golden brown" is? I tend to overcook things, especially sugar, so it's easier for me to go by temperature.)

:laugh: I was going to ask the same thing, then I remembered it would probably be on her website. 

Kim--you need to start adding to your descriptions.  Like "Iced almonds, found in the Candy section," to make it easier for us to find the recipes, because you know we're going to ask!  :biggrin:

I went to Kim's website noted on her post and ended up in a place I couldn't use. Can you help me find this recipe?

Thanks. I hope. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Kim--you need to start adding to your descriptions.  Like "Iced almonds, found in the Candy section," to make it easier for us to find the recipes, because you know we're going to ask!  :biggrin:

I went to Kim's website noted on her post and ended up in a place I couldn't use. Can you help me find this recipe?

Thanks. I hope. :rolleyes:

Go to the Candy section and you'll find "Iced Almonds". That's where I found it. I think...

Thanks so much, y'all, for the kind words!  Here you go: Iced Almonds.

I'll start posting the link to my recipes, if you think I should.  I considered doing it, but thought it might be a bit pushy  :blush: .

Dear Kim,

Please post the link to your recipes. It took me forever to find it, but I perservered and in the end I did. I am not a computer whiz and that might explain it, but I think that you should post a link.

So there. Thanks!!! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks so much, y'all, for the kind words!  Here you go: Iced Almonds.

I'll start posting the link to my recipes, if you think I should.  I considered doing it, but thought it might be a bit pushy  :blush: .

Dear Kim,

Please post the link to your recipes. It took me forever to find it, but I perservered and in the end I did. I am not a computer whiz and that might explain it, but I think that you should post a link.

So there. Thanks!!! :wub:

Yeah, what she said! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

For tomorrow's lunch out, I am bringing an old stand-by: lemon cheese pie topped with chocolate ganache.

Yesterday I bought my first ever package of raw cacao nibs. Taste good to me right out of the bag. Very bitter chocolate, but then I am a Canadian. :biggrin:

What about putting some nibs right into the warm ganache? Or would that work?

I am here with only Shotts and Greweling and can't find any nibs used as inclusions in the index.

Any other nib uses would be nice to know. I know of topping ice cream, rolling truffles, etc. Desserty uses.

Thanks. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For tomorrow's lunch out, I am bringing an old stand-by: lemon cheese pie topped with chocolate ganache.

Yesterday I bought my first ever package of raw cacao nibs.  Taste good to me right out of the bag.  Very bitter chocolate, but then I am a Canadian.  :biggrin:

What about putting some nibs right into the warm ganache?  Or would that work?

I am here with only Shotts and Greweling and can't find any nibs used as inclusions in the index. 

Any other nib uses would be nice to know.  I know of topping ice cream, rolling truffles, etc.  Desserty uses.

I like to make caramelized nibs and use them as an inclusion in a butter ganache. Also good as ice cream topping.

Thanks to both Kerry Beal and Prasantrin for suggestions. I went to the Cocao Nibs thread and there was Kerry Beal's caramelizing recipe. And lots of other suggestions.

(I had tried to access the usual eGullet search engine, thinking I would get a couple of pages and then find any nib thread, but I kept getting a Google page. I see that the regular search format is back.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

gallery_34671_3697_34712.jpg

It's fruitcake season again! I made a quadruple batch so that everyone would be happy. When it's had another couple of hours to cool I'll vacuum seal them all into bags after wrapping in parchment - then try to find a bit of space in the freezer. Actually a couple will go to a friends place. That's his payment every year for help with wrapping baskets. He's got the talent for baskets - I don't. But I can bake!!!

For the Foodie BlogRolls Royal Joust of Coffee, Black Peppercorn & Honey, I submitted:

Fried Morning-After Ice Cream

gallery_41282_4652_37961.jpg

Black & Szechuan peppercorn infused brandy ice cream, coated in coffee tempura, and fried. Boy was it good! You can read the recipe at my blog HERE.

gallery_41282_4652_20287.jpg

For the Foodie BlogRolls Royal Joust of Coffee, Black Peppercorn & Honey, I submitted:

Black & Szechuan peppercorn infused brandy ice cream, coated in coffee tempura, and fried.  Boy was it good!  You can read the recipe at my blog HERE.

Awesome! That looks so amazing! Since I had a dish made with peppered honey at one of our favorite restaurants, I've been addicted to the combination of pepper and sweet.

Kerry - what kind of fruitcake is that? Looks good!

Some more Christmas cooking:

gallery_34972_5436_5150.jpg

Crystal Candy. Just a fanciful name for hard candy – cinnamon and wintergreen.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

Black & Szechuan peppercorn infused brandy ice cream, coated in coffee tempura, and fried.  Boy was it good!  You can read the recipe at my blog HERE.

WOW, just WOW, Rob. I love how you bake over the edge and wish I could sample your gorgeous creations!

That said, I haven't been here in a while due to surgery on a bunch of torn ligaments in my right knee and the inability to cook or bake except when the physical therapy facility I'm staying at lets me use their recreational kitchen and the staff becomes my 'legs' lol, but I have to say, all of everyone's latest sweets and treats look absolutely AMAZING and have turned my salivary glands into an ocean!

Hope to be back baking, creating and picture taking with you all soon!

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

Lisa2k – poor you :sad: ! I hope you are better soon and back to impressing everyone with your wonderful creations!

One more before bedtime:

gallery_34972_5436_107271.jpg

Very, very weird fudge. Deep, Dark Chocolate Fudge with Candied Ginger. Sounds good, huh? But the 'secret ingredient' is....wasabi paste :blink: . Only Mr. Kim likes this stuff. Jess and I think it would be good without the wasabi.

Eyensweets!!! Your pomegranate cookies look amazing!! Pomegranate is one of my favorite foods- anyway you look at them they are beautiful!! What a lovely idea!! How about putting some reduced pom juice into the dough? Would it be possible?

thank you.. still a work in progress.. main complaint so far is for more seeds..

i started with the idea of reduced pomegranate juice and chopped almonds.. the almonds overpowered the cookie.. then i omitted the almonds but i couldnt get any flavoring with the pomegranate juice.. so i switched to almond extract and omitted the almonds and added in the pomegranate seeds..

i made this for my office girls this past week..

strawberrycheesecake.jpg

One more before bedtime:

Very, very weird fudge. Deep, Dark Chocolate Fudge with Candied Ginger. Sounds good, huh? But the 'secret ingredient' is....wasabi paste :blink: . Only Mr. Kim likes this stuff. Jess and I think it would be good without the wasabi.

how is the kick..?? i only eat dark chocolate and that combination with candied ginger and wasabi paste is making my mouth water.. i have a package of candied ginger in my pantry that is gonna disappear right after i post this..

One more before bedtime:

how is the kick..?? i only eat dark chocolate and that combination with candied ginger and wasabi paste is making my mouth water.. i have a package of candied ginger in my pantry that is gonna disappear right after i post this..

The kick was not too strong - I've tried and liked chile infused chocolate, but the flavor of the wasabi was strong and just wrong, it seemed to me.

I grew up in Texas and there was also a special type of candy i always loved, although they mainly sold it at airports.. but some of you may be familiar with the Texas Praline... Not the cookie but the caramel pecan studded wrapped in plastic and made by Lammes candies??

Well anyways this is my recipe for it.

2cups Sugar

Evaporated milk 1.5c (condensed is alot thicker and can be used to save time but you will get a darker product)

1.75C White karo (corn syrup)

2 sticks of butter

Pecans 1-3 cups

Well there are real directions, but i dont usually follow them as a cook i am not trained in the ways of precision like many bakers...

So Method:

Cook all ingredients together except pecans

Your going to want to cook it to a soft ball stage... i dont use a candy thermometer i just cook it till i feel its close then i put a few drops on a cold pan, it should set up... not sticky and you should be able to form it into a ball.

Now when it hits that stage take it off the fire and mix in your nuts... stir stir stir...

Now grab a spoon and drop about alittle less than a tablespoon onto a silpat or a greased sheet pan... I dont like to use grease unless i have to as it makes the candy a bit greasy to touch when its finished. But just let it free form into a cookish shape. let it cool and when its done it should not be sticky... it should be cookie shaped, and should also be tender.

Its Horribly simple to make, deliciously addictive, and everyone will love you.

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.

How many things can I try? I want two lives!!!

Eyensweets, did you slowly reduce the pom juice? Anyway, those cookies are great!

Gfron, I think too many ideas in one cake, but who cares? The pomegranate sounds heavenly IMO. Such a majestic fruit should take a solo I suppose. Anyway it is a beautiful cake. Everytime I make a cake Ithink of yours and feel very very depressed!

Ilana – and then I try to make candy and think of yours! It just goes on and on :biggrin: .

A Pumpkin Poundcake that I made to take to dinner at a friend’s house tonight:

gallery_34972_3570_127504.jpg

it looks a little like a baked potato, doesn’t it?

More Christmas cooking:

gallery_34972_3570_153959.jpg

A chocolate cooky assortment - chocolate-chocolate chip, chocolate-PB chip and chocolate-peppermint chip. All taste very good. The peppermint chips are soft chips by Andes that I found in some discount store. Very odd though, all the same dough, ingredients, etc. and some are nice and tall and some are as flat as pancakes. I will never understand baking :wacko: .

Very odd though, all the same dough, ingredients, etc. and some are nice and tall and some are as flat as pancakes.  I will never understand baking :wacko: .

Do you bake with a digital scale?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden