• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

I made the most delicious oatmeal/chocolate chip/m&m cookies last weekend...I only wish I took a picture of them before my roommates and I devoured them all!

VERY simple recipe, low cook time, *delicious* results :smile:

I plan on baking them sometime in the next couple of days, so I'll be sure to post photos. In the meantime, if anyone wants the recipe don't hesitate to ask...

I am also thinking of trying a chocolate chip/toffee cookie recipe I'm trying to come up with. I'll let you all know how it goes...

I made rugelach for the first time recently:

gallery_43137_2974_64844.jpg

Your Rugelach looks perfect!

Thank you, CanadianBakin'! :rolleyes:

Yesterday I baked a pumpkin and ginger loaf. Couldn't really taste the pumpkin yesterday, but today the flavour was much more pronounced (I had a slice for breakfast):

gallery_43137_2974_84858.jpg

A few weeks ago I craved some kind chocolate and peanut butter concoction that was not a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I came up a tart that includes a flaky, tender pate brisee with a layer of salted peanut honey caramel, topped with a fluffy peanut butter mousse-like layer and white and dark ganaches drizzled all over the top. Definitely satisfied the craving, for me and all who grabbed a slice in time!

gallery_59301_5864_5897.jpg

gallery_59301_5864_21494.jpg

gallery_59301_5864_15881.jpg

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

A few weeks ago I craved some kind chocolate and peanut butter concoction that was not a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  I came up a tart that includes a flaky, tender pate brisee with a layer of salted peanut honey caramel, topped with a fluffy peanut butter mousse-like layer and white and dark ganaches drizzled all over the top.  Definitely satisfied the craving, for me and all who grabbed a slice in time!

. . .

cough <recipe> cough cough..

I need me some of that! What temperature do you cook the caramel to?

A few weeks ago I craved some kind chocolate and peanut butter concoction that was not a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.  I came up a tart that includes a flaky, tender pate brisee with a layer of salted peanut honey caramel, topped with a fluffy peanut butter mousse-like layer and white and dark ganaches drizzled all over the top.  Definitely satisfied the craving, for me and all who grabbed a slice in time!

. . .

cough <recipe> cough cough..

I need me some of that! What temperature do you cook the caramel to?

Thanks, prasantrin :) The recipe in full is in the second entry on the first page of my blog which is linked below.

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

I haven't added anything here is a while, so...

Pistachio Cheesecake with Sour Cherry Glaze

gallery_41282_4708_23534.jpg

Lemoncurd Tartlets set over Blackberry Preserves

gallery_41282_4708_6701.jpg

Oh gosh, this looks sooo good--especially the lemon curd. At a restaurant over the weekend I got a lemon tart and it tasted like soap!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Thanksgiving today in Canada, did the dinner thing yesterday. My contribution to the dinner was...

gallery_53467_5170_45222.jpg

...an orange zest flavored cone filled with cinnamon whipped cream and pumpkin pie ice cream. Plated with a little aromatherapy: hot water infused with ginger, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla on the plate and a few star anise in the glass. Worked well with the really nice apple pies that someone else made.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Dear Kim,

I have found phyllo in two sizes--can't tell you the dimensions of either but one is double the size of the other. I tried using the small sheets but clearly they were not what the recipe had had in mind. But your strudel looks yummy anyway!

Pal

One thing that occured to me, besides maybe too much butter, was that the phyllo seemed to be smaller than I remember.  Each sheet was maybe 8 1/2 X 14 inches.  The original recipe doesn't give measurements, so I figured they were standard, but maybe not??  Anyway, if anyone has any ideas what I did wrong here, I'd welcome the help!

Dear Kim,

I have found phyllo in two sizes--can't tell you the dimensions of either but one is double the size of the other. I tried using the small sheets but clearly they were not what the recipe had had in mind. But your strudel looks yummy anyway!

Pal

One thing that occured to me, besides maybe too much butter, was that the phyllo seemed to be smaller than I remember.  Each sheet was maybe 8 1/2 X 14 inches.  The original recipe doesn't give measurements, so I figured they were standard, but maybe not??  Anyway, if anyone has any ideas what I did wrong here, I'd welcome the help!

Thank you so much, Pal! I think that even though it didn't specify, this recipe was meant for the larger sheets. I've got a ton of phyllo left, so next time I'll just use a lot more sheets! It did taste good - it just needed more flakiness in the pastry :rolleyes: .

This thread is almost too much to bear. One scrumptious dessert after another.

I have not made very many fancy desserts in the last decade...this whole idea of making delicious things again being new to me...but we have recently picked up one supper tradition which stands us in good stead. And tonight's the night again. About once a week, we simply have dessert for supper. Dessert and only dessert.

Tonight's dessert will be orange flavored scones covered in fresh raspberries and whipped cream. Nothing special, but still, O so good.

However, I am going next for that incredible looking peanut and chocolate pie by Lisa2K. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Rob – loved the blueberry-lemon curd tarts – one of my favorite flavor combinations!

Lisa – I went straight to your blog and printed out your recipe for that Choc-PB tart. My mom says that if God made anything better than chocolate, He kept it for Himself – if you added peanut butter to that saying, I’d agree completely. I cannot wait to make that, but will say right now, mine will not be nearly as gorgeous as yours! Well done!

Randi – I like the whole idea of the Black Forest Cake – the flavors, the ability to make it ahead and the layers. I didn’t see the recipe on your blog – I probably have the issue, if you’ll tell me which one its in.

Shelby – The cupcakes look delicious and I love the liners, too!

These are some cupcakes that I was trying out to make for the kids in our family for Halloween:

gallery_34972_2532_123733.jpg

They were Caramel-Apple Cupcakes. Just applesauce-spice cake with caramel topping. Very good cake – tight crumb and very light. They were amazingly easy to make and had a nice little dome on them.

Randi – I like the whole idea of the Black Forest Cake – the flavors, the ability to make it ahead and the layers. I didn’t see the recipe on your blog – I probably have the issue, if you’ll tell me which one its in.

I was too lazy to type it all out. Its Dec 05!!

I was too lazy to type it all out. Its Dec 05!!

Thank you, ma'am - I'll look for it!

The Vosges Bacon Bar was curiously scrumptious. I bought one for my dad for his birthday and it was immediately proclaimed delicious. It also made me consider the possibilites of chocolate covered pork rinds. (Someone makes those? Right?)

Also would like to say the desserts in this thread are unspeakably gorgeous and now I am very hungry.

The Vosges Bacon Bar was curiously scrumptious. I bought one for my dad for his birthday and it was immediately proclaimed delicious. It also made me consider the possibilites of chocolate covered pork rinds. (Someone makes those? Right?)

Also would like to say the desserts in this thread are unspeakably gorgeous and now I am very hungry.

What a brilliant idea! I've never seen them. Who's going to be first?

First post here on eGullet....

Girlfriend and I made some homemade Cinnamon Buns. Couldn't get the powdered sugar to completely mix/dissolve in the frosting, which was frustrating.

Pre-frosting goodness

gallery_61882_6265_731859.jpg

Post-frosting goodness

gallery_61882_6265_810710.jpg

First post here on eGullet....

Girlfriend and I made some homemade Cinnamon Buns. Couldn't get the powdered sugar to completely mix/dissolve in the frosting, which was frustrating.

Pre-frosting goodness

gallery_61882_6265_731859.jpg

Post-frosting goodness

gallery_61882_6265_810710.jpg

They look delicious anyway! Did you sift the powdered sugar? That could be the problem, if you didn't. Otherwise, not a clue.