• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Lemon Meringue...

gallery_53467_5170_235920.jpg

lemon curd ice cream - baked meringue crumble - graham cracker crust puree - graham cracker crust powder - poached meringues - lemon curd

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Lemon Meringue...

gallery_53467_5170_235920.jpg

lemon curd ice cream - baked meringue crumble - graham cracker crust puree - graham cracker crust powder - poached meringues - lemon curd

Love it!!!!

Been lurking a while and finally decided to start sharing some of my stuff. Mango-chile sorbet I made last night served in an absinthe glass. It kept melting while I was remembering how to use my camera, hence the ice.

gallery_61469_6212_25606.jpg

gallery_61469_6212_28242.jpg

Here's a flourless chocolate cake I made today with a chocolate mirror glaze and it felt grand enough to deserve a big sheet of gold!

gallery_41282_4652_1855.jpg

Nice glaze Rob. I have to confess to never having worked with gold sheets, it is a nice look against chocolate but I guess I'm too cheap. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There's something about cold, spicy things that I love.

So do I... hot, spicy things too for that matter. Nice looking sorbet, nice flavor combo. Did you use habanero? I love the fruity flavor of habs.

There's something about cold, spicy things that I love.

So do I... hot, spicy things too for that matter. Nice looking sorbet, nice flavor combo. Did you use habanero? I love the fruity flavor of habs.

It was just pureed mango, Absolut Peppar, cayenne pepper, lime juice, and sugar. The whole pepper thing was kind of spur of the moment and that was what I had. I'm going to have to try something with habanero though.

I'm on a mission to perfect a pie crust. I rendered my own leaf lard and everything for these. It still needs a little fine tuning but the crust turned out really well.

Pluot Pie

gallery_61469_6212_33.jpg

Plum and Pluot Strusel Pie

gallery_61469_6212_16185.jpg

Here's a slice of the above pie:

gallery_61469_6212_38095.jpg

I also made a Tourte aux Blettes for dinner using the same dough

gallery_61469_6212_8921.jpg

A slice of the Tourte

gallery_61469_6212_51895.jpg

Sorry for the big post but I was busy and I wanted to share.

MAGNIFICANT DANE!!! AWESOME JOB!!!! I am looking for my piece and do not see it anywhere????

I'm on a mission to perfect a pie crust.  I rendered my own leaf lard and everything for these.  It still needs a little fine tuning but the crust turned out really well.

Pluot Pie

gallery_61469_6212_33.jpg

Plum and Pluot Strusel Pie

gallery_61469_6212_16185.jpg

Here's a slice of the above pie:

gallery_61469_6212_38095.jpg

I also made a Tourte aux Blettes for dinner using the same dough

gallery_61469_6212_8921.jpg

A slice of the Tourte

gallery_61469_6212_51895.jpg

Sorry for the big post but I was busy and I wanted to share.

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Fall is my favorite time of year. Why? Because this is the time of year where the fruit of the Northwest is at its peak-Apples, Pears, Peaches and yes, the King of all Northwest berries-the Huckleberry.

I've posted a piece about Huckleberries in the New York-Cooking forum, but I wanted to share three Huckleberry sweets with the fine bakers in this topic.

Hope you enjoy:

Open-Face Huckleberry Tart-

gallery_41580_4407_30812.jpg

Pear Brown Betty with Huckleberry Ice Cream-

gallery_41580_4407_29275.jpg

The most delicious pie known to this man, Huckleberry Pie-

gallery_41580_4407_42314.jpg

Our daughters had their 6th birthday last month and each requested a very different cake which was neat because what they chose reflected their personalities quite well.

Here's Lauren and her whimsical cake.

gallery_21184_2702_3501.jpg

And here's Katie with my second attempt at fondant.

gallery_21184_2702_1690.jpg

As well as a front view:

gallery_21184_2702_5067.jpg

Not perfect by any means but I was quite happy with the result.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Gorgeous!!! I love it. They are so adorable (the girls) I love Katie's cake and I just know that my girls, when they were that age would both want Lauren's!!! :biggrin:

My eldest, now 25 threatened to run away from home when she was 4 if I didn't allow her to make her daddy's bday cake pink and purple!! She even packed a sack and then I put it on the end of a broomstick and showed her how to hold it. I thought it was fun but she was insulted!! Of course, I said sorry and hugged her, and she got a pink and purple cake for her bday as I couldn't let in to bribery!! :laugh:

Edited by Lior (log)

Peach Pie

gallery_53467_5170_39981.jpg

warm spiced peaches - vanilla ice cream mousse - brown butter and sucanat shortbread

The peaches were cooked with sucanat, star anise, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean, a squeeze of orange juice and a pinch of salt. The mousse is a vanilla ice cream base made with milk, sugar, egg yolk, a pinch of salt and vanilla. Some gelatin was dissolved in then whipped cream folded in. The "crust" is the shortbread. I'm very happy with the flavor, I'm going to work on the plating a bit. There are lightly scored areas in the shortbread so that when you tap it with a fork it collapses in on itself giving little chunks of shortbread to mix with the peaches and depositing the cold mousse on the warm peaches where it starts to soften and melt like ice cream. That part of the plan worked out fine but it looks a bit bland.

Larry - I am loving these desserts you've made. (I only wish more people in this household of mine liked lemon-flavored desserts!) Anyway, the flavors of the peach pie sound spot-on. I also love the interactive aspect of the dessert, it's quite imaginative as always!

CanadianBakin' - Those cakes look pretty darn near-perfect to me. I believe the sparkles in your daughters' eyes will agree with me!

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Thanks Mark. I'm not at all happy with the look of the peach dessert though, too dull and drab. I'll figure that one out before I actually need it.

Just in case anybody wonders, I went with the mousse over an actual ice cream for holding purposes. It's going to have to be able to survive outside a freezer for a bit at this particular event. I found that if I mold the mousse into little balls and freeze them then dip them in the mousse for a more natural appearance and freeze them again they thaw nicely within the timeframe I'm working in. The outside gets soft with a small soft-frozen core to compliment the ice cream idea.

Okay so maaaybe this isn't the right thread for this, but I figured this would be as good a place as any to share what I had for dessert tonight...

Chocolate.

With bacon.

Pretty decent. Though a little too much smokey flavor, and the texture (a few chunks of chewy bacon fat inside) left something to be desired..

gallery_18974_1420_18499.jpg