• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

DesertCulinary - ok - you are my go-to PB & chocolate combo dessert muse now! It is my favorite flavor combination ever. To paraphrase my momma, if God made anything better than chocolate and peanut butter, He kept it for himself. I, too, would love the recipe for the brownies (or, at least the peanut butter layer). Also - how do you get such perfect edges? I've tried all the tricks with no luck! Would you share your method? And that lovely, flowy chocolate on top! Just beautiful.

mark - the pot de creme was extremely light, but not fluffy. It was almost weightless on your tongue and then you got a burst of chocolate. Really intense.

thecoffeesnob - welcome! Cupcakes are my favorite! Banana cake and chocolate frosting! Why didn't I ever think of that? I always put chocolate chips in my banana bread, but the cupcake idea never occured to me! Great idea!

Later tonight I'll post a picture of a daquiri pound cake that I made for work. I wanted to get a shot of the inside so I brought my camera to work with me. But it was gone before lunch was over and I could get back in to take the shot. It was really good - probably the best result I've ever had with a pound cake - very popular, too!

Kim-Daquiri pound cake! Sounds delish...are you going to share the recipe when you post?

For a "Taste of Asia" potluck at work, I baked some green tea madeleines from Dean Brettschneider's Global Baker. I added 4.5 tsp of matcha powder to the batter and hoped for a green-er outcome. Not so much. They look yellow to me but hopefully the green tea flavour will come through in the end. Will taste tomorrow but they sure smell heavenly.

gallery_29268_5029_178918.jpg

Did you get this recipe from a cookbook?  If so, which one?

It was a recipe from Dorie Greenspan via Bon Appétit.

DesertCulinary  - ok - you are my go-to PB & chocolate combo dessert muse now!  It is my favorite flavor combination ever. To paraphrase my momma, if God made anything better than chocolate and peanut butter, He kept it for himself.  I, too, would love the recipe for the brownies (or, at least the peanut butter layer).  Also - how do you get such perfect edges?  I've tried all the tricks with no luck!  Would you share your method?  And that lovely, flowy chocolate on top!  Just beautiful.

Thanks!

I usually use one of two items - the first is one of those "rocker" type blades that you would use for slicing pizza that I keep hot and clean in between slices. It looks kind of like this.

gallery_51259_4126_5030.jpg

If I'm not using that, I just use a thin chef's knife, using the same hot and clean method.

Sugar Plum - Here is the recipe. I've made it for years - some friend of my mom's used to make it and it's always popular. Lovely madeleines, btw!

DesertCulinary - thanks for the slicing advice. I don't have one of those big cutters, but I'll try again with the hot knife. I found the brownies on epicurious. Thank you! Your picture is even prettier than the professional one!

Here, finally is a picture of the cake that I made for work on Monday:

gallery_34972_3570_152169.jpg

It's a daiquiri poundcake that I've made for years, but haven't done in awhile. I seemed to have a poundcake hex the last few times that I made one, but this one turned out perfectly. It's a really old recipe. A friend of my mother's made it years ago - I 'collected' it long before I could legally buy the rum for it! I brought a camera to work so that I could get a picture of a slice, but when I went back to get a piece, it was gone - nothing but a corner left. It tasted great, though, and I had to print off the recipe for a few people. It's already been requested for future birthday celebrations!

Desserts for our family celebration of Mr. Kim's birthday this weekend:

gallery_34972_6177_113853.jpg

This is the Nancy Olson cake introduced to eG by DesertCulinary that I just made for Father's day. But Mr. Kim liked it so much that he requested it again for his birthday! Incredible, again.

I also made banana pudding from a Paula Deen recipe. It is absolutely delicious - fluffy, light - always a favorite. It has two of my least favorite 'dessert' ingredients in it: Cool Whip and instant pudding, but it turns out great. Inexplicable:

gallery_34972_6177_149479.jpg

Kim,

Thanks for posting the lovely pic of Paula Deen's "Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding". It's a great dessert and is always a hit when I bring it to parties and potlucks. Sure, it's a little Sandra Lee-ish but it's so easy and tastes so good I forgive myself when I make it. :laugh:

Has anyone tried making it with "real" whipped cream and "real" vanilla pudding? I wouldn't think it would have the same body to it. Just curious...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Kim,

Thanks for posting the lovely pic of Paula Deen's "Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding". It's a great dessert and is always a hit when I bring it to parties and potlucks. Sure, it's a little Sandra Lee-ish but it's so easy and tastes so good I forgive myself when I make it. :laugh:

Has anyone tried making it with "real" whipped cream and "real" vanilla pudding? I wouldn't think it would have the same body to it. Just curious...

I'm sure that it would taste great, but you are right, the consistancy might suffer. Maybe if you used Whip It?

Kim,

I'm sure that it would taste great, but you are right, the consistancy might suffer. Maybe if you used Whip It?

IIRC, the actual recipe calls for frozen whipped topping, OR an equal amount of whipped cream.

Kim,

It's funny that you asked that. I love, love, love this recipe. I tried it this past weekend using real vanilla pudding and it was very good. It tasted like Paula's version. I also tried it with real whipped cream. The texture was a bit different, but it was still good.

For this week's treat day, I made these Mini Banana Whoopie Pies. Fun and a different take on your ordinary chocolate whoopie pies - the filling is just a rich mixture of confectioners' sugar, cream cheese and a splash of vanilla.

gallery_51259_4126_45886.jpg

DesertCulinary, Mini Banana Whoopie Pies, these look beautiful, perfect. Where id the recipe from?

The whoopie pies are from the latest MS living (you can see how we made it on our site as well).

Liddell and Weir chestnut ice cream with Ducasse "milk jam"

gallery_59865_6000_92390.jpg

same with Liddell and Weir fudge sauce

gallery_59865_6000_49724.jpg

blueberry turnover

gallery_59865_6000_107570.jpg

Mary Elizabeth, how do you get that full layer of blueberries! In my experience, it's a bit of a flat layer, a big pouf of air and the top sugary crust! Beautiful and juicy looking!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

DesertCulinary, Mini Banana Whoopie Pies, these look beautiful, perfect. Where id the recipe from?

The whoopie pies are from the latest MS living (you can see how we made it on our site as well).

Joe, first off your desserts and savories in your blog are gorgeous and absolutely mouth watering..but I have to know..what kind of camera do you use, and is it natural light with a background, or some kind of photography artificial lighting/makeshift mini photo studio? Your photos are magazine worthy!

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

I don't post often in this thread because I don't do a lot of fancy cooking but I love looking at everyone else's creations. I've gotten so many wonderful ideas for dessert from this thread.

Here is a Boston Cream Pie I just finished for tonight's dessert, two layers of golden butter sponge cake, vanilla pastry cream and a chocolate glaze:

gallery_42527_5326_53189.jpg

I don't post often in this thread because I don't do a lot of fancy cooking but I love looking at everyone else's creations.  I've gotten so many wonderful ideas for dessert from this thread.

Here is a Boston Cream Pie I just finished for tonight's dessert, two layers of golden butter sponge cake, vanilla pastry cream and a chocolate glaze:

Custard oozing out of the center, chocolate dripping down the sides. What more could you ask for? Nothing's fancy 'til it passes the taste-test... I bet that did.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Judiu--Thanks for noticing! I worked on that. I use dried blueberries, hydrate them with a little cassis and apple juice, then thicken any juice left over with cornstarch.

Here is an apple turnover where the filling was too wet. Some of the already eaten apple turnovers look like what you described, that big gap. I think that gap comes from wet filling turning to steam and simultaneously raising the puff while depleting the filling, creating the gap.

gallery_59865_6000_85871.jpg

Edited by Mary Elizabeth (log)

I don't post often in this thread because I don't do a lot of fancy cooking but I love looking at everyone else's creations.  I've gotten so many wonderful ideas for dessert from this thread.

OMG this looks good!