• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

Gorgeous, Ted. What kind of fruit & sauce? Apple? Pear? Some sort of red berry?

It was apple sliced very thin. and the glaze was a fresh strawberry syrup.

alanamoana Posted Today, 05:01 PM

Ted Fairhead, what's creme chatillon?

Fresh whipped cream with a touch of lemon juice and confectioner's sugar to taste

Edited by Ted Fairhead (log)

Glorified Rice with Pichet Ong's carmelized pineapple.

gallery_59865_6000_93313.jpg

That looks so good. I will have to try and find that recipe! ....Glorified Rice... :wub:

mmmm It brings back memories of my father bringing glorified rice to potlucks, a hug tub of the stuff, and no one would try it until someone felt sorry for my dad. Then the next thing you know, we had no left overs to take home. Yeah, didn't realize that people in Northern California had never run into glorified rice...He would always use a mix of canned fruit, fresh fruit, and nuts, and a whole lot of whipped cream. :)

milgwimper--I love glorified rice. Is glorified rice a midwestern thing? Here's my basic recipe:

rice, sushi or jasmine: 1C/200g raw

cook and chill

Pichet Ong's carmelized pineapple

one pineapple: chop into 1/4 inch

sugar: 1/3 C/ 66g

vanilla bean

simmer all 1 hour, chill

cream: 1 pint

confectioners sugar: 1/4+ C/ 30g+

whip stiff

fold together, will be soupy but stiffens as it chills

Edited by Mary Elizabeth (log)

Pichet Ong's Honey Castella:

gallery_59865_6000_148203.jpg

gallery_59865_6000_134553.jpg

I sinks in the middle. I made half his recipe, used his genoise method, put it in an 8" round cake, ungreased for traction, and it sank. I tried again with a separate foam method with a really stiff french meringue, put it in a greased 5x10" loaf, and it sank also. Any suggestions on how to get a level cake?

I made this Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Pie with Strawberry-Rum Sauce to use up some fresh strawberries we picked.

gallery_51259_4126_62761.jpg

And the sliced picture with the sauce...

gallery_51259_4126_64231.jpg

I think next time I would assemble it in a springform pan just for ease of serving. I'd like to try the same concept, except swapping the rum for tequila, using margarita mix and switching the graham crackers with pretzels sometime!

I made this Frozen Strawberry Daiquiri Pie with Strawberry-Rum Sauce to use up some fresh strawberries we picked.

gallery_51259_4126_62761.jpg

And the sliced picture with the sauce...

gallery_51259_4126_64231.jpg

I think next time I would assemble it in a springform pan just for ease of serving.  I'd like to try the same concept, except swapping the rum for tequila, using margarita mix and switching the graham crackers with pretzels sometime!

I've made a Margarita Pie on the odd occasion, and they work great, but you need to get a touch of orange flavour in there too. Maybe a little zest with the pretzel crumbs? (Of COURSE I lost the recipe when I lost all my old cookbooks, but I'm sure one will turn up for you. If I recall correctly, it was one of the Eagle Brand things, with lime juice.) HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I made Kerry's caramels (again! I swear I'm addicted). I added fleur de sel to make them salted, and topped them with a bit more. Again, it was way too hot this weekend to be doing this, but... yum.

gallery_27125_5936_19001.jpg

I'd also decided to make some cupcakes, and I really wanted to top them with fondant flowers. I've never made them before, but had a lot of fun doing this! I just used some pre-made Wilton's rolled fondant for these...

gallery_27125_5936_18382.jpg

For the cupcakes, I was going to make the chocolate cupcakes from Elinor Klivans' Cupcakes!, but didn't have any sour cream and was too lazy to go buy some. So I did some googling and found the Magnolia recipe which calls for buttermilk – which I also didn't have, but I do have lemons and milk. The recipe makes 2 dozen. I halved that, but I still got a full 2 dozen minis and 10 full-size cupcakes from that. Again, because it's so warm right now, the butter was too soft and this mixed up really light and fluffy. They baked beautifully with a lovely dome... and then fell. Oh well. Serves me right for baking when it's so hot. I just made a butter & sugar buttercream. I would have rather done an Italian buttercream, but I'd had enough of cooking things.

gallery_27125_5937_4522.jpg

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Since my father absolutely adores anything apple with cinnamon, I wanted to incorporate some Fall flavors into a summer dessert when they came over for dinner Saturday night. I came up with an Apple tart with a filling of mascarpone, figs and cinnamon, using a shortbread crust, so it was like an apple-fig cheese cookie. I served it with a batch of Traci Des Jardin's Apple Ice, using whole Granny Smiths, juiced..(skins and all) to give a nice, green hue to it. With a little warm cider caramel, it was a great combo of cold, sweet, tart, and warm.

gallery_59301_5864_37301.jpg

gallery_59301_5864_62147.jpg

gallery_59301_5864_55158.jpg

gallery_59301_5864_3529.jpg

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

My new Blog: Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives

"I feel the end approaching. Quick, bring me my dessert, coffee and liqueur."

Anthelme Brillat-Savarin's great aunt Pierette (1755-1826)

~Lisa~

Mary Elizabeth:

Hmm I am thinking it is a Mid West thing because the only people I have asked have come from the mid west and it seemed like it was quite popular the Norwegian and Swedish populations, but that is just my observation. I love glorified rice, and people are always surprised when my dad brings it a huge tub for pot lucks.

The Castella looks good, unfortunately I don't have and ideas to stop if from sinking in the middle. Maybe cooling the cake upside down like for chiffon or angel food cake?

Lisa2K:

Apple Fig Cheese Cookie! Sounfs great! Please mail it to me please! :raz:

Emmalish:

Wow beautiful cupcakes, and I love the chocolate covered caramels. *sigh* Beautiful.

Sugar Plum:

Oh was it pleasantly tart and not overly sweet. hmm might have to make some.

Desert Culinary:

Yeah I think I will have to have a slice of that pie!

gallery_60366_6103_83453.jpg These are what I call Chocolate Health Bars (ie an excuse to stuff myself with chocolate while convincing myself they are giving me nutrients, minerals etc. LOL)

They contain anything I can get my hands on (eg, nuts, seeds, cocoa nibs..) that is remotely edible, with a white chocolate orange layer sprinkled with 2 types of chocolate and Cocoa nibs (im addicted to them)

Edited by Spring (log)

Lisa, I am drooling over here. I can almost taste it!

I made vegan cupcakes today. Best. Ever. Cupcakes. I am so proud of my little invention. It's chocolate peanutbutter with ditto frosting. I made 6 and ate them all myself :wacko:

Vegan cakes has never really been superior to regular cakes to me, so I am very happy that these turned out so well!

gallery_56283_5302_116658.jpg

milgwimper - I posted the recipe in my blog, which you can link to at the bottom of this post. :)UPDATE - On the Green Apple Ice, I had to make a correction on the sugar to water simple syrup amounts! Please check back!

Sif - Thank you! Your vegan cupcakes look absolutely sinful, delicious and so pretty. One would never know they're actually good for you! Peanut butter and chocolate slays me. I would lick it up off a floor! :P

Spring - Could you post the recipe for those 'Health Bars'? I have a huge bag of cocoa nibs. and I'd love to use them to make those!

Edited by Lisa2k (log)

Flickr Shtuff -- I can't take a decent photo to save my life, but it all still tastes good.

~Lisa~

Lisa2k: there really isnt a recipe. I melt the chocolate and then mix in nuts, cereals, coconut, cocoa nibs, basically anything remotely edible.

If I want them to be more chocolate than 'health bar' (i cant say that without smiling) then i put in less. If Im feeling virtuous (ha!) I mix in as much 'stuff' as I can bearing in mind it has to have enough chocolate to stick together. Sometimes I put so much in it neads a little reheat to warm the chocolate up.

Then I put it in a mould (lid of cd box) press it all down, put in freezer a little until its set a bit and then put the top layer (white choc) on and then put in the fridge.

I think they are best after a day in the fridge and allways eat them straight from there.

I use the cocoa nibs in cookies a lot and they are jsut indescribably perfect, you must try it

hth

Lisa2k: there really isnt a recipe. I melt the chocolate and then mix in nuts, cereals, coconut, cocoa nibs, basically anything remotely edible.

If I want them to be more chocolate than 'health bar' (i cant say that without smiling) then i put in less. If Im feeling virtuous (ha!) I mix in as much 'stuff' as I can bearing in mind it has to have enough chocolate to stick together. Sometimes I put so much in it neads a little reheat to warm the chocolate up.

Then I put it in a mould (lid of cd box) press it all down, put in freezer a little until its set a bit and then put the top layer (white choc) on and then put in the fridge.

I think they are best after a day in the fridge and allways eat them straight from there.

I use the cocoa nibs in cookies a lot and they are jsut indescribably perfect, you must try it

hth

Remember, dark chocolate is good for the heart, so ""If I want them to be more chocolate than 'health bar' "" really means 'more chocolate, more healthy!".. :biggrin:

Thank you so much, Spring, as 'winging' it with whatever you have on hand is sometimes better than any tried and true recipe. However, I need a good cocoa nib cookie recipe or idea, as many of the ones I've seen are simply chocolate chip cookie dough, with nibs instead of chips. I've had baker's block the past 2 days..lol

~Lisa~

gallery_21505_4018_10890.jpg

vanilla coconut icecream on rhubarb raspberry compote.

I got a new icecream maker, the wonderful Midas.. no electricity, no moving parts, just put the pan in the freezer overnight, next day pour you icecream mixutre in it, 25 minutes later you have icecream. Great news, the bad news is I made icecream 4 times since I got it 2 weeks ago :wacko:

I got a new icecream maker, the wonderful Midas.. no electricity, no moving parts, just put the pan in the freezer overnight, next day pour you icecream mixutre in it, 25 minutes later you have icecream. Great news, the bad news is I made icecream 4 times since I got it 2 weeks ago  :wacko:

Chufi --

Very interesting about the Midas -- I'm having a hard time imagining the consistency of ice cream that hasn't been stirred is very good -- can you tell us a little more about it?

Emily

Fun with benzaldehyde.

I'm not a food wimp. I'm no Bourdain, I have my reservations, but I won't say "yuck" if I haven't tried it and I don't worry about whether or not something is conventional and generally accepted as food. Still, some old habits are hard to break. After a lifetime of hearing "Don't eat those cherry pits, you'll die!" it kinda tucks itself away into the List of Rules to Follow. So when I stumbled across the recipe for cherry pit ice cream I was intrigued and hesitant at the same time. I read. I researched. I researched some more. I made a batch. There it was in front of me. The fact that it was ice cream instead of kool aid didn't really make me feel any less dumb about putting it in my mouth. Eventually the ol' "How else will I know?" spirit won the debate. I took a bite. I took another bite. I finished the bowl in the picture. If this stuff is going to kill me, I can't complain about my last meal. Wow. I hope all of those people were mistaken because I'd really like to stick around and try this one again. :biggrin:

gallery_53467_5170_67780.jpg

cherry pit ice cream - kirsch injected cherries

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.