• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets (2005-2012)

Afterburner

CanadianBakin' - Would you mind PM'ing me with the buttercream recipe. You did need a membership to read it at the link that you posted and I don't need another membership to anything :biggrin: ! Thanks!

Rachel - your Martha story cracked me up and reminded me of why, despite the perfectionism that sets my teeth on edge, I love Martha - that slight goofiness and the almost Monty Python-esque "No, I'm fine, just fine, no problem here" attitude in the middle of chaos!

Rob - I loved the blueberry brioche! How did you form those? I assume that there is more brioche under those lovely little curled up berry huggers on top?

Momshobby - your cake is adorable! I am very impressed. Love the pup! And the pegboard is the perfect background for a Father's day cake!

Kate - lovely tarts. If I ever find good strawberries again, I'd love to make them :sad: .

Randi - thanks for the tip - does the Hershey's recipe make enough batter for the 13x9" pan?

Inspired by the 'Treats' conversation on Father's day when I made the Lucky Charms treats, I made these:

gallery_34972_3570_110041.jpg

Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter Crunch w/ PB and chocolate swirl chips

gallery_34972_3570_127924.jpg

Froot Loops

The Froot Loops ones tasted just like Froot Loops, so if you don't like the faux fruit flavor, you won't like them. They are very, very sweet. But the Cap'n crunch ones were wonderful. They kind of transcended the ingredients and became something all new and delicious! Jessica was the one who came up with the idea of putting in the swirl chips and that was genius!

Such silly things, but making them is addicting - all the possible variations. And people just scarf them up!

Rob - I loved the blueberry brioche!  How did you form those?  I assume that there is more brioche under those lovely little curled up berry huggers on top?

I'll trade you the answer for your mixer! (Mine has been dead for 2 weeks and counting)

Simply rolled them like a cinnamon roll, plopped them in muffin tins and let them proof. Thanks

Last week I made a Bienenstich (bee sting) cake for a German dinner. I also made a hazelnut cake (haselnusskuchen) but I did not take a photo of that one.

Here is the bienenstich before slicing horizontally and filling with pudding/pastry cream:

gallery_60458_6071_10506.jpg

gallery_60458_6071_89610.jpg

And a closeup of the topping which is made with sugar, honey and almonds:

gallery_60458_6071_59949.jpg

I'm surprised by the level of rise I got out of this dough. Normally the bienenstich does not have such "oven spring" and is more of a flat yeasted dough.

Welcome Kreed! Glad to have you on board. Nice looking stich!

I made this for a friend's birthday.

gallery_41282_4652_49001.jpg

The base is one of the recipes from the flourless almond cake topic, topped in lemon bavarois, topped with lemon cream and fresh blueberries. Patrick A made the lady fingers for me.

Welcome Kreed, your cake looks wonderful, can you tell us what recipe you used, or where we might find it?

Rob, that is a really good looking cake and I bet it tasted great. I wish someone would make me something like that for my birthday. Great job!

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Welcome Kreed, your cake looks wonderful, can you tell us what recipe you used, or where we might find it?

Thank you pastrymama, I used alot of conversation with local german folks and research from quite a few recipes to make the cake. This one is similar in process and amounts to the recipe I came up with:

Bienenstich

Rob-Your cake looks wonderful. Any photos of the inside or a single slice?

Edited by kreed (log)

Oh my god everything looks so awesome. I want it alllllll :biggrin:

Kate---these are just enchanting---I read the word "rambutan" in a novel many years ago, and repeated it to myself at the oddest moments, like a mantra, for ages.  It stood for the exotic ne plus of all fruits.  I still do not know the taste---is it similar in taste and texture to a lichee?

And what is the pastry?  Are the strawberries baked in, or added after?  They still look plump and shiny and perfect.

Thanks rachel :) They were a big hit at work.

Rambutans are pretty similar to lychees in my experience (at least on the inside...). So they are quite sweet. A little grapey. I don't know how better to describe them.

The pastry is just a pate sucree, and the strawberries are unbaked. I brushed a bit of the jelly on top to make them shiny and pretty. :wub:

Kate

Rob - I loved the blueberry brioche!  How did you form those?  I assume that there is more brioche under those lovely little curled up berry huggers on top?

I'll trade you the answer for your mixer! (Mine has been dead for 2 weeks and counting)

Simply rolled them like a cinnamon roll, plopped them in muffin tins and let them proof. Thanks

Thanks, Rob! Poor baby - I'd be a sad puppy without my KA! And that is a gorgeous cake - I just love the ladyfingers and ribbon - I'll have to try that on the next cheesecake I do. It's such a nice effect!

Randi - thanks for the tip - does the Hershey's recipe make enough batter for the 13x9" pan?

Yes, it does. I usually make the black magic in either a 9x 13 or a bundt.

Thanks, Randi - how about cupcakes? Does the batter do well for them? Some batters just don't - I haven't ever been able to manage angel food cupcakes, though I've tried and tried. I was thinking these for cupcakes topped with a strawberry or raspberry buttercream for July 4th.

monavano - that tart is exquisite!

Here's a cake that I made last night for a girl who is leaving work today to go back to college:

gallery_34972_3570_71772.jpg

I have more room at the bottom than the top, but it looks ok for a beginner, I think! I only found out that they wanted me to make the cake at 5pm last night and we have out of town guests arriving today at lunch time while I'm still at work, so my evening was a little rushed :wacko: . I admit that I resorted to cake mix for the layers :blush: . There is a layer of devil's food, then a ganache filling, a layer of white cake and it's frosted with chocolate Italian meringue buttercream. The lettering is more ganache. There were lots of scraps and leftovers, so we got to taste it - it's really good! That buttercream is just wonderful!

Here's my messy edge work:

gallery_34972_3570_158486.jpg

I need a remedial Wilton class :laugh: !

Here's a shot of the cake before frosting and after trimming:

gallery_34972_3570_94212.jpg

I have more room at the bottom than the top, but it looks ok for a beginner, I think!  I only found out that they wanted me to make the cake at 5pm last night and we have out of town guests arriving today at lunch time while I'm still at work, so my evening was a little rushed :wacko: .  I admit that I resorted to cake mix for the layers :blush: .  There is a layer of devil's food, then a ganache filling, a layer of white cake and it's frosted with chocolate Italian meringue buttercream.  The lettering is more ganache.  There were lots of scraps and leftovers, so we got to taste it - it's really good!  That buttercream is just wonderful!

Was it the Fine Cooking one you used or a different one?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I have more room at the bottom than the top, but it looks ok for a beginner, I think!  I only found out that they wanted me to make the cake at 5pm last night and we have out of town guests arriving today at lunch time while I'm still at work, so my evening was a little rushed :wacko: .  I admit that I resorted to cake mix for the layers :blush: .  There is a layer of devil's food, then a ganache filling, a layer of white cake and it's frosted with chocolate Italian meringue buttercream.  The lettering is more ganache.  There were lots of scraps and leftovers, so we got to taste it - it's really good!  That buttercream is just wonderful!

Was it the Fine Cooking one you used or a different one?

I actually used the Cake Love one that I've done before, because I was rushed and knew that I could do it with no problems. I'm thinking that I'm going to use the Fine Cooking one on July 4th. I think I'm going to do chocolate cupcakes with either strawberry or raspberry buttercream and sprinkles!

gallery_11197_6076_122734.jpg

this is a gateau chocolat with a brownie base, a layer of feuilletine chocolate, dense chocolate mousse, a very chocolatey miroir chocolat (made by fruibel, great product btw,) and a few raspberries filled with a little bit of raspberry jelly....

cheers

t.

toertchen toertchen

patissier chocolatier cafe

cologne, germany

gallery_11197_6076_122734.jpg

this is a gateau chocolat with a brownie base, a layer of feuilletine chocolate, dense chocolate mousse, a very chocolatey miroir chocolat (made by fruibel, great product btw,) and a few raspberries filled with a little bit of raspberry jelly....

cheers

Wow, Wow, absolutely beautiful. Was that cake from a recipe or did you make it up?

schneich - that gateau is just gorgeous! The shine, the little raspberries, the little flutters of gold foil. Sigh.....

This is what I made for dessert for our company this weekend:

gallery_34972_3570_12026.jpg

It is a big mess of a faux torte made from ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, bananas, caramel sauce, toffee bits, maraschino cherries and COOL WHIP :shock: !! Our company was of the almost family sort that I can experiment on. They aren't the type to be insulted at ice cream sandwiches and Cool Whip, but wouldn't mind telling me that it just didn't work and we'd could go out for ice cream! We did love this, though. Great combination of flavors and pretty to look at!

schneich  - that gateau is just gorgeous!  The shine, the little raspberries, the little flutters of gold foil.  Sigh.....

It is a big mess of a faux torte made from ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, bananas, caramel sauce, toffee bits, maraschino cherries and COOL WHIP :shock: !!  Our company was of the almost family sort that I can experiment on.  They aren't the type to be insulted at ice cream sandwiches and Cool Whip, but wouldn't mind telling me that it just didn't work and we'd could go out for ice cream!  We did  love this, though.  Great combination of flavors and pretty to look at!

Kim, I looked in your Cookbook, but could find the instructions for assembly of this beauty. Help, Please! I can see the folks I volunteer for going nuts for this at a party. They love stuff like this... :rolleyes::laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

schneich  - that gateau is just gorgeous!  The shine, the little raspberries, the little flutters of gold foil.  Sigh.....

It is a big mess of a faux torte made from ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge sauce, bananas, caramel sauce, toffee bits, maraschino cherries and COOL WHIP :shock: !!  Our company was of the almost family sort that I can experiment on.  They aren't the type to be insulted at ice cream sandwiches and Cool Whip, but wouldn't mind telling me that it just didn't work and we'd could go out for ice cream!  We did  love this, though.  Great combination of flavors and pretty to look at!

Kim, I looked in your Cookbook, but could find the instructions for assembly of this beauty. Help, Please! I can see the folks I volunteer for going nuts for this at a party. They love stuff like this... :rolleyes::laugh:

Here you go! It's a hard one to find on the webpage, because the name doesn't have anything about ice cream sandwiches - which is weird because they are the most fantastic thing about this monstrosity :laugh: !

Here you go!  It's a hard one to find on the webpage, because the name doesn't have anything about ice cream sandwiches - which is weird because they are the most fantastic thing about this monstrosity  :laugh: !

That would be great for the seniors!!

Here you go!  It's a hard one to find on the webpage, because the name doesn't have anything about ice cream sandwiches - which is weird because they are the most fantastic thing about this monstrosity  :laugh: !

That would be great for the seniors!!

That's so funny, Randi, because I thought about you and your folks when I was making this and even mentioned your thread to my friend!